2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Beyond 2015: Ford confirms Falcon and Mustang will share platform.

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/10, 05:36 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
This will work. The first Mustangs were designed using the Falcon's platform. I think it was narrowed around 2 inches or something like that.
Old 1/14/10, 09:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Instead of trying to make one RWD platform that covers the range from Mustang (which we'd like to see lose some weight) to large sedans, I think Ford should have two platforms. The Falcon chassis could be shared with a future Lincoln sports sedan. The Mustang could share a chassis with the next-generation Mazda RX-8, which by all accounts is a pretty **** nimble (if underpowered) car. They could also use this chassis to make a sporty Lincoln 2-seat convertible.
This, we've seen what happens when a company attempts to scale a full size car down to pony car dimensions. It just doesn't happen.
Old 1/14/10, 09:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
This will work. The first Mustangs were designed using the Falcon's platform. I think it was narrowed around 2 inches or something like that.
Altogether different Falcon, the 1st gen Mustangs were based off an small economy car platform rather than the OZ Full size car platform.

To put it into context, had Ford done the same thing back then, they would have used the Galaxie for the Mustang underpinnings rather than the Falcon.
Old 1/15/10, 12:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Instead of trying to make one RWD platform that covers the range from Mustang (which we'd like to see lose some weight) to large sedans, I think Ford should have two platforms. The Falcon chassis could be shared with a future Lincoln sports sedan. The Mustang could share a chassis with the next-generation Mazda RX-8, which by all accounts is a pretty **** nimble (if underpowered) car. They could also use this chassis to make a sporty Lincoln 2-seat convertible.
Problem is, the RX8 uses a small rotary engine and you'd struggle to get a Coyote V8 in there. I expect the next-gen RX8 (possibly reverting to the RX7 moniker some are reporting) is already well into its development. Nice idea though
Old 1/15/10, 07:01 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Altogether different Falcon, the 1st gen Mustangs were based off an small economy car platform rather than the OZ Full size car platform.

To put it into context, had Ford done the same thing back then, they would have used the Galaxie for the Mustang underpinnings rather than the Falcon.
LOL!!! Bob. I was talking about the American Ford Falcon of the 1960's. The point i was trying to say was, even if Ford used the Australian Falcon's platform for the next generation Mustang, it can be shortened and narrowed.
Old 1/15/10, 08:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is zero chance that the Falcon's platform will be used as the basis for this revived 'GRWD'. When the project was shelved the alternatives still in play were either a heavily revised D2C based design or an all new design. To be blunt, if there is going to be a car that represents this programs primary focal point with the flexibility to underpin other models into it that focal point will be the Mustang, particularly under the watch of a logic driven capitalist like Mulally. Of course, the isn't a difficult conclusion to draw here since Mustang is the most important car that will be using this platform.

Again, everything we have seen says that Mulally's Ford runs on logic, and designing a 'global' platform around a 40k unit per year sedan sold in a handful of markets isn't going to get a pass in his world.

Last edited by jsaylor; 1/15/10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 1/15/10, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Hi folks.

Video

*shudders*

Looks like a "gulp" GTO from behind...
Old 1/15/10, 09:47 PM
FR500 Member

It would be nice to see Mustang/Falcon platform sharing - in a way, it would bring things "full circle" in regards to the 1st gen Mustang's origin. Coincides with a hoped-for 50th anniversary in production perhaps? A Falcon-based Lincoln (Mk IX) and a similar Mercury RWD halo car (return of the Marauder) would be pretty cool. And +1 for the calls for actual weight reduction instead of "it didn't gain too much weight, so it's not too bad compared to xxxxxx car" kind of deal. Unless the platform engineers aren't motivated enough? It's not like it's impossible. The RX-7 FD (conventional/steel) vs NSX (exotic/aluminum) shows it can be done.
Old 1/16/10, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Some more info.

Originally Posted by wescoent
"The only thing the Mustang and Falcon will share are powertrains, most of the stuff fore of the firewall, and the usual Ford interior bits.

Thunderbird is in discussions as a US-built, Falcon-derived sports sedan to hit back at the Charger. Falcon would remain as an Australian-built unit. Regardless, the Thunderbird would be significantly more stylish... think Mercedes CLS.

MKR would follow suit to give Auto Alliance more work to do, and to compliment the Lincoln line."

(emphasis added)

Thunderbird as a sports-sedan indicates that Taurus will stay FWD/AWD. Interesting that the MKR would be built at Auto Alliance...

================================================== ======

Why does 'global' to everyone mean Western Europe?

Lincoln going global means China, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America.

In the long run, Lincoln is looking to compete with Mercedes and BMW, in a manner of speaking. Attention to detail. Near-perfect reliability. Unmistakable styling. Unmatched customer service experience. Cutting-edge technology. It's not hyperbole... it's a goal.

Lincoln is slowly, but surely, creating their brand identity, and with each passing generation, the cars will improve.

They won't give up on the traditional American hallmarks of roominess for people and cargo, and effortless acceleration, which is why Western Europe will never accept them.

They're not there yet... not by a long shot, but that's the plan.
Old 1/16/10, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
A 4 door Thunderbird again? Unless it very, very sexy, keep it 2 doors please.

An updated version of this, to make it a little more "Thunderbidie" would be perfect, in my opinion.

Old 1/16/10, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Problem is, the RX8 uses a small rotary engine and you'd struggle to get a Coyote V8 in there. I expect the next-gen RX8 (possibly reverting to the RX7 moniker some are reporting) is already well into its development. Nice idea though
I'm not suggesting adapting the current RX-8 chassis. I'm suggesting that Ford and Mazda co-develop a chassis for the NEXT generation RX-8 and the next generation Mustang. If there is a next-gen RX-8 I'm sure it will still use a rotary engine. No arguing on that point. Even if they had to make the next-gen Mustang's chassis a somewhat stretched version of the next-gen RX-8's, I think it's more credible than shrinking the Falcon's. I know I'd rather have a Mustang that's just a little heavier than the RX-8 than being just a little lighter than a Falcon.

If the chassis could also be used for an admittedly small number of Lincoln 2-seat convertibles, that might be enough total production to justify inventing this new chassis.
Old 1/16/10, 10:35 AM
GTR Member

You're more likely to see the Lincoln RWD coupe before you see an RX-7/8 type chassis that can house a V8. That platform is so unique in every aspect that it's tricky to see it being done any other way. The RX-8 has a near perfect weight distribution, amazing handling, and a unique approach to fitting people in the back, but all of that was incorporated with the small, low mounted rotary in mind. Just putting a traditional motor in there would upset the balance so much that it wouldn't fit into the design that the Mazda engineers want. I think taking some of the tech that's in the chassis and incorporating it into the next iteration of the GRWD platform would be a great start. If the S197 chassis isn't going to be a long standing platform, then definitely design one that has new features and is first and foremost an IRS-equipped chassis. Next, focus on use of high strength materials and reduce weight where necessary, and make it something that can be shared, especially if Lincoln goes global and they finally decide to give them a proper coupe (MKR) so that they can fill out their lineup.
Old 1/16/10, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

No reason why Ford couldn't use a similar approach on the next RWD chassis as they are using on the 2012 Focus to achieve structural integrity while keeping the weight under control. This from Autoblog.com on the Focus introduction:

"The new Focus body has also been designed to meet crash safety standards globally with a common structure. In order to meet those divergent requirements without adding excessive weight, the structure is comprised of 55 percent high strength steels. The B-pillar is produced by a process known as tailored rolling that makes eight different gauge thicknesses across its length. This allows strength to be put where its needed while keeping mass to a minimum."
Old 1/16/10, 04:33 PM
GT Member

If we all recall the development of the S197 platform . . . . it was actually based on the DEW98 platform (which was used on the Lincoln LS, 2002 Ford Thunderbird, Jaguar S-type) . . . . as development continiued on the S197 - all commonality was lost with the DEW98 platform (mainly due to the loss of the IRS - originally all the S197s were to have an IRS - - - like the Ford Explorer and Ford Expeditions . . . . I mention thoughs vehicles . . . . . .. because they both have standard IRS in their second generation - and NO CUSTOMER could care less! But all the Ford accountants were realizing this extra bit of engineering was costing them $1000 per SUV to build! So the S197 Mustang (in development) lost its IRS because some idiot thought 2 SUVs could use an IRS - but really didn't!

So a better question is whether the new Mustang will have an IRS??? Hopefully Ford will give Australia a "small narrow" sedan, and NOT make the Mustang "bigger and wider" . . .. . sharing platforms is about sacraficing . . . . . but the Mustang COULD use an IRS . . . .
Old 1/16/10, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I was being facetious. I would love to see one around 3200 lbs and carrying 425+ hp and some nice meaty tires. I'd also really like to see a sedan like the Falcon (or recent Interceptor concept) come to be with a EB V6/ V8 and RWD. I truly hope that we see a RWD sedan again in the future.
That MAY happen sooner than you think.
Old 1/17/10, 12:01 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
That MAY happen sooner than you think.
That's the one part of the lineup I see having room to improve. As much as I like the new Taurus, an Interceptor-based RWD sedan would be fantastic.
Old 1/17/10, 10:36 AM
FR500 Member

That's the one part of the lineup I see having room to improve. As much as I like the new Taurus, an Interceptor-based RWD sedan would be fantastic.
Forgot to post that too - a Interceptor/Marauder RWD sedan could be produced for civilian and law enforcement use.
Old 1/17/10, 12:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Forgot to post that too - a Interceptor/Marauder RWD sedan could be produced for civilian and law enforcement use.
Exactly. Crown Vic's are a thing of the past, yet LEOs love them. I see that as a huge market, and with GM bringing the Caprice back (and most likely bringing the Commodore over as a consumer version) that Ford can bring the Interceptor to life for both civilian/LEO use.
Old 1/17/10, 06:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Exactly. Crown Vic's are a thing of the past, yet LEOs love them. I see that as a huge market, and with GM bringing the Caprice back (and most likely bringing the Commodore over as a consumer version) that Ford can bring the Interceptor to life for both civilian/LEO use.
Ford will be putting out a purpose-built LEO vehicle soon(ish). Rather than compromising a good retail car for the cops, or compromise a good cop car for retail, they're separating the two somewhat. And I wouldn't say GM is "most likely" doing a "Chevy G8" or retail Caprice here, every other week their story changes.
Old 1/17/10, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Ford will be putting out a purpose-built LEO vehicle soon(ish). Rather than compromising a good retail car for the cops, or compromise a good cop car for retail, they're separating the two somewhat. And I wouldn't say GM is "most likely" doing a "Chevy G8" or retail Caprice here, every other week their story changes.
There seem to be a few possibilities:

A stripped down Taurus AWD, hopefully w/Eco-Boost option (the most likely)

A stripped down Taurus converted to RWD only w/Eco-boost option.

A re-badged Falcon.

A stretched S197 4D w/5.0L (Ford did this in 1983-1986 LTD II Fox 4D). I wish this it what they are working on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_LTD_%28Americas%29

Quick Reply: Beyond 2015: Ford confirms Falcon and Mustang will share platform.