2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Beyond 2015: Ford confirms Falcon and Mustang will share platform.

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/10, 04:04 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond 2015: Ford confirms Falcon and Mustang will share platform.

Hi folks.

Video

Ford has quickly hosed-down the latest speculation that tried to spell the end of the local Falcon.

The 'One Ford' program announced by Ford's American chief, Alan Mulally at the Detroit Auto show aims to simplify the company's global model lineup - less different nameplates and platforms sold in more countries means lower development and production costs.

Ford says, rather than beginning the end of the Falcon, this means future Falcons will be integrated into the global scheme.

The logical replacement for the Falcon as Ford's large car in Australia would be the front-wheel-drive Taurus. 'Not so' says Ford - the hot-selling, iconic Mustang coupe is rear-wheel-drive, so the company will continue to develop rear-wheel-drive platforms and the next Falcon could share that platform with the Mustang.

According to Ford Australia, with the current FG generation Falcon scheduled to run - with several upgrades and facelifts in the pipeline - for another four years and the Territory SUV slated for production until 2016, the company's future is already being mapped out and is bright.

A key plank in that future is the current $230 million investment in new powertrain technologies for the Falcon - including a fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine.

Rather than the first chapter in a eulogy for the Falcon, Ford's 'One Ford' program could deliver Australian buyers a new global perspective on design and a platform shared with the Mustang - that would seem to be good news for the Falcon.

Old 1/13/10, 06:39 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks for posting Falc'man! Good news on both sides of the pond!
Old 1/13/10, 06:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So either its an updated D2C platform and the Mustang will finally share
or
Global RWD platform has been resurected.

Hey Evil... who own da chief?
Old 1/13/10, 07:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Boomer
So either its an updated D2C platform and the Mustang will finally share
or
Global RWD platform has been resurected.

Sounds like good news, although I hope the next platform is design primarily for the Mustang and then others spun off it. GM have proved that whilst Zeta is flexible, it's also meant that the smallest car on the platform, the Camaro, is also pretty heavy.

Still, plenty of time for Ford to work it all out. I'd like to think this may spawn even more RWD cars......Thunderbird anyone? Interceptor 4 door?
Old 1/13/10, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

hm, as long as it doesnt get any longer or wider...
Old 1/13/10, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this would certainly help push for the IRS to get thrown in after 2015...
Old 1/13/10, 10:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is just reading online too, and thinking out loud.

If D2C gets updated for the next model year ... I am wondering if it will be made with the Falcon in mind.
Its supposedly getting lighter and smaller. And really its only been on the Mustang and was purpose built for the mustang (and originally for an IRS)

Something else I read online was how the GRWD platform was nixxed because Lincoln didn't want to loose its space, and Mustang didn't want to gain weight (which would be required if they all shared this new GRWD)

Makes sense to me, and realistically, D2C isn't that old and with its updates should be able to last another gen or 2 (especially if the Gens/MCEs are getting shorter)
Old 1/13/10, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
hm, as long as it doesnt get any longer or wider...
....or heavier
Old 1/13/10, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
....or heavier
Unfortunately that's probably going to be inevitable. As more govt standards come into play, they'll have to add the weight regardless. Stiffer door frames, safety cages ,crumple zones, etc. are an example of this. I do think that as new materials emerge, develop an infrastructure, and are mass produced, we might see them start to come back the other way, but only to a point. You can't make cars TOO light, or we have another problem.
Old 1/13/10, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Unfortunately that's probably going to be inevitable. As more govt standards come into play, they'll have to add the weight regardless. Stiffer door frames, safety cages ,crumple zones, etc. are an example of this. I do think that as new materials emerge, develop an infrastructure, and are mass produced, we might see them start to come back the other way, but only to a point. You can't make cars TOO light, or we have another problem.
It doesn't have to be that way, but we'd have to be willing to pay for it. Look at the Corvette...
1981 Corvette: 3307lbs, 190hp
2010 Corvette: 3208lbs, 430hp
Old 1/13/10, 12:21 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
It doesn't have to be that way, but we'd have to be willing to pay for it. Look at the Corvette...
Exactly, that's an exception to the rule, along with most exotics.

I was at an SAE conference last year and the discussion on emerging tech came up, and the example shown was the MkI Rabbit/Golf GTI vs. the Mk VI GTI. Basically the weight and hp went up, but the performance stayed the same. The point was that they've had to do a lot to keep things from really sticking out. The goal is to stop that and go the other way.
Old 1/13/10, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

.......You can't make cars TOO light, or we have another problem.
....and what would that problem be?
Old 1/13/10, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
They'd float away
Old 1/13/10, 12:52 PM
GTR Member

....and what would that problem be?
Too light and on freeways at speed they become floaty and don't drive well. Increased speed has some rather interesting effects on a car.
Old 1/13/10, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I've long used the Vette as a great example that cars don't inevitably have to get bigger, fatter and heavier, while adding modern features and yet staying at the same price point (inflation adjusted).
Old 1/13/10, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Too light and on freeways at speed they become floaty and don't drive well. Increased speed has some rather interesting effects on a car.
That can all be dialed out with proper suspension tuning. I've owned numerous cars that weighed between 2000 and 2500 lbs, had most of them to triple digit speeds, on the street and the track. A slightly smaller next generation Mustang that weighed 3200-3300 lbs could still drive well on the street and track, and perform the same with less power (or perform better with the same power).
Old 1/13/10, 01:31 PM
GTR Member

That can all be dialed out with proper suspension tuning. I've owned numerous cars that weighed between 2000 and 2500 lbs, had most of them to triple digit speeds, on the street and the track. A slightly smaller next generation Mustang that weighed 3200-3300 lbs could still drive well on the street and track, and perform the same with less power (or perform better with the same power).
I totally agree. We won't see a 2200 lb Mustang ever for production. Suspension can tune it out, but it might not be cost-effective to do so.
Old 1/13/10, 01:38 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Owns . . . Owns . . . .
Old 1/13/10, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I totally agree. We won't see a 2200 lb Mustang ever for production. Suspension can tune it out, but it might not be cost-effective to do so.
2200 lbs? No, that's why I said 3200-3300 lbs would be nice to see in the next Mustang. Something about the size and weight of the Fox body with more modern powertrains and updated suspension tuning.
Old 1/13/10, 01:43 PM
GTR Member

2200 lbs? No, that's why I said 3200-3300 lbs would be nice to see in the next Mustang. Something about the size and weight of the Fox body with more modern powertrains and updated suspension tuning.
I was being facetious. I would love to see one around 3200 lbs and carrying 425+ hp and some nice meaty tires. I'd also really like to see a sedan like the Falcon (or recent Interceptor concept) come to be with a EB V6/ V8 and RWD. I truly hope that we see a RWD sedan again in the future.

Quick Reply: Beyond 2015: Ford confirms Falcon and Mustang will share platform.