2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

5.0 or Ecoboost, which is better for Highway MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/15, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why even ask this question if you know the **** answer anyway?
Of course the ecoboost will give you better highway MPG, EPA information is all you need to make your decision.
Old 6/24/15, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Why even ask this question if you know the **** answer anyway?
Of course the ecoboost will give you better highway MPG, EPA information is all you need to make your decision.
I concure. If your main concern is which will get better mpg than the ecoBoost wins over the V8 and it's not a discussion.

If cost isn't an issue get the V8. I would totally have GT if I could afford. I can't spend $35+ on a car so I went with a V6. I also bought mine used so it was around $20k. There is never a day that I wish I got a GT. The 13-14 look like a GT but that's about where it ends. Definitely leaves you wanting more. If you can afford the extra money get a GT, no question. It's not about gas or anything else.
Old 6/24/15, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I concure. If your main concern is which will get better mpg than the ecoBoost wins over the V8 and it's not a discussion.

If cost isn't an issue get the V8. I would totally have GT if I could afford. I can't spend $35+ on a car so I went with a V6. I also bought mine used so it was around $20k. There is never a day that I wish I got a GT. The 13-14 look like a GT but that's about where it ends. Definitely leaves you wanting more. If you can afford the extra money get a GT, no question. It's not about gas or anything else.
Yes, if you have never had a GT before then buying and driving one needs to be high on the list.

However, the assumption that everyone wants one but 'settled' for something else due to cost is not completely accurate. I have had GT's in the past. Given my usage as a daily driver it just does not make any sense to have a GT puttering in stop and go traffic. Having a GT is just another 135 HP of more wasted power I would not be able to use over what is already NOT used with the V6 in this drive cycle. Having a GT and nowhere to run is actually rather frustrating.

I ended up with an Ecoboost because I went premium. If the V6 were available as a premium car then I would have had a dilemma to figure out which way to go. Since I wanted the premium car and the GT was out of the equation that only left one option, the EB. So far I love the car and, no, I do not wish for a second it was a GT...I already have about 150 unusable horsepower as it is and if I feel the urge to blast down a two-lane twisty road having fun I take the motorcycle!
Old 6/24/15, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
There's nothing wrong with the v6 or eco-4. Although, it would be interesting see see which one last longer.
I have been driving turbo 4s continiously since 1985. I have put 175,000 to 250,000 miles on each one with the exception of the 13 Focus ST I traded for the Ecoboost Mustang with no turbo or internal engine failures. There is no reason to expect the Ecoboost to be any different.