2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2011 powertrain to be revealed at L.A. Autoshow

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/09, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
There is an easy fix for the throttle lag...an SCT tuner.
Some do, some don't. There's plenty of threads around on the contact brush spacing in the gas pedal. Some Mustangs have too much spacing between the brushes and the contact surface and no tune will ever adjust a physical space issue like that.
Old 12/5/09, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
They could have intro'd the V6 model to grow the anticipation of the V8 more.
I believe that is part of the reason why Ford chose to release the V6 info first. By showing a 305HP V6, Ford is basically telling the public that there is a new GT motor as well. We've all been waiting for a year for the 302, but Joe and Jane Carbuyer have not.

I think they also wanted some time for the press to focus on the V6. The 6 is the volume car and Ford has put a good amount of effort into improving it. It needs its moment in the sun and some time for 305HP with 30MPG to sink into the public consciousness.
Old 12/5/09, 01:38 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I believe that is part of the reason why Ford chose to release the V6 info first. By showing a 305HP V6, Ford is basically telling the public that there is a new GT motor as well. We've all been waiting for a year for the 302, but Joe and Jane Carbuyer have not.

I think they also wanted some time for the press to focus on the V6. The 6 is the volume car and Ford has put a good amount of effort into improving it. It needs its moment in the sun and some time for 305HP with 30MPG to sink into the public consciousness.

I am with you on this one. I believe someone else mentioned that Ford might be introducing the GT model next and then the GT500 model at the last auto show. That would be smart doing that so that the public eye can get a good look at all three of those models one at a time instead of all three at once. Usually when that happens they dont look at one close enough and so the sales of that model are lower than what was expected.
Old 12/5/09, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RickyD
Hey Dan, nice to hear that your also in the Area... I am in Blainville.

I left my deposit to Sylvain Bouchard at Chartrand Ford in Laval (Very nice guy). I think they are the only in my area who handles SVT. Granby is a bit far away for me.

See ya this summer maybe in some friday events in Laval. I also plan going to St-Eustache for some fun at the drag strip.
What a small world bro, i bought my 2009 Escape there too, but it was Daniel that took good care of me. Will get Gianni over at Ford 440 to handle the sell for me when the GT's show up, can't wait for the 500's, too far away. And too expensive too...
Old 12/6/09, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to the LA show yesterday. Spoke with nice woman at the ford info desk. Told me that the 5.0 information will be disclosed at Detroit Auto Show. Said they weren't free to discuss any of the particulars. Did say that pricing wouldn't go up much at all over the 2010 mustang

Who can say if she knows anything, but....
Old 12/6/09, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eric n
Went to the LA show yesterday. Spoke with nice woman at the ford info desk. Told me that the 5.0 information will be disclosed at Detroit Auto Show. Said they weren't free to discuss any of the particulars. Did say that pricing wouldn't go up much at all over the 2010 mustang

Who can say if she knows anything, but....
Man what an opportunity you missed there, you should've invited her over for a drink and in the process try to get some info. Woman talk a lot when under the influence.
Old 12/7/09, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Man what an opportunity you missed there, you should've invited her over for a drink and in the process try to get some info. Woman talk a lot when under the influence.

The problem is that when I got the information I would have been unable to buy the stang as my wife would have taken all of the money and left town with someone seriously checking out the Aston Martins.
The Ford girl was kinda cute however! Maybe get the wife and her under the influence and..... NEVER WORK!
Old 12/7/09, 08:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Ford girl was kinda cute however! Maybe get the wife and her under the influence and..... NEVER WORK!
Bro, i feel your pain, but was once a lucky dude. But that's another story.
Old 12/7/09, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

hahaha I'm not surprised given your location, I met a pair of girls from montreal once. <--thats the most appropriate smiley I could find.

Edit: I forgot what the thread was about... can't wait for the 5.0

Last edited by THRUST_; 12/7/09 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12/8/09, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by LateralG
Everyone talks about the HP numbers of a V-6 while ignoring the torque numbers.

It's just that I have found that torque numbers win road races (and probably drag-strip races).
Old 12/8/09, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 95cobraR

It's just that I have found that torque numbers win road races (and probably drag-strip races).
Correct. Acceleration (like horsepower) is a function of torque.
Old 12/8/09, 02:24 PM
GTR Member

Torque is more important than people give it credit for. 280 lb/ft is a great start for that V6, and I'm anxious to see how the aftermarket takes off with it. I think you'll see a new generation of well rounded tuning packages for the V6, which will make it a worthwhile competitor for the Gen coupe, V6 Camaro, V6 Challenger, and possibly upmarket into the 370Z range.
Old 12/9/09, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

I understand, I lived with a girl who was a switch hitter for 12 years. She was Bat Poop crazy, but it was a non stop festival of sharing for the 12 years. The wife however, like Homie the clown, don't play that!
Old 12/9/09, 11:08 AM

True, but it's rear wheel torque at the end of the drive train, with all its torque-multiplying gearing, that really matters but its the HP number of the engine that indicates the actual energy, per amount of time (very important when considering acceleration) going into the system (your car) and thus, its ultimate ability to accelerate. It's all a bit more complex in reality than that (area under the curve, etc.), but power is power. Minus the time factor intrinsic in acceleration, I could apply 320 ft/lbs of torque with my left arm given a long enough lever/gearing, but I guarantee that my left arm wouldn't accelerate a Stang terribly briskly once you factor in time and put me to a stop watch.

An example might be my M3, which puts out a comparatively piddling 262 lb/ft of torque out of its little 3.2 motor, but a health 333hp (as compared the the current Stang GT's numbers). However, that torque, by dint of greater revs and tighter, higher gearing, is multiplied to a higher rear wheel torque applied to the tarmac and thus, the acceleration numbers fall predictably in line, being generally a hair faster as would be appropriate for 333hp vs 315hp in cars of similar weight.

I would imagine the 3.7 V6, with its 7K redline and six cog rear, would thus post acceleration figures very similar to the current GT. Granted, that may occur at higher revs and require a touch more driver interaction swapping cogs, but neither of those strikes me as glaring negatives in a driver's car and more just a matter of preference (there's much to be said about a more readily accessible power band of a large V8) than actual capability.

I think the most interesting aspect of the V6s performance is that it provides an alternative performance driving experience to the V8 rather than replicating it (what would be the point then). Believe me, zinging through the gears to the 8K redline of my little "torqueless" M3 is hugely entertaining and I imagine the 3.7 will offer a great driving option closer to this than the GT's big V8 approach.

Another consideration is the possibly greater handling/dynamic performance of the lighter V6 and thus, a greater ability to utilize whatever velocities are achieved by the motor (all the world's roads aren't straight 1/4 mile stretches).
Old 12/9/09, 12:47 PM
GTR Member

One other thing worth mentioning, I wonder what the 0-60 times will be, and if they'll keep it so that you can reach 60 in 2nd, not 3rd. That would help keep the times down slightly.
Old 12/9/09, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know a lot of folks are pushing the GT's Tq advantage over the V6. If Tq was everything, I think we'd see more powerstroke diesels at the track. Good low end Tq means you have good low end HP. Average HP should carry the day in the quarter mile. The low end torque will show up more at a road race where the engine is spending more time down low. I'd like to see some weight numbers for the new V6 but on paper it should be a high 13 second car stock. My 2 cents until Evan Smith gets one to a track.
Old 12/9/09, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
True, but it's rear wheel torque at the end of the drive train, with all its torque-multiplying gearing, that really matters but its the HP number of the engine that indicates the actual energy, per amount of time (very important when considering acceleration) going into the system (your car) and thus, its ultimate ability to accelerate.
That is true for street driving and maybe a drag strip, but road racing requires a rear gear that is perfect for that track.

You can not count on torque-multiplying gearing when you race at Watkins Glen, Sebring, VIR, or Road Atlanta. You'll find that you can pick up lap times with a long gear so you can go fast on the long straights. You just use first and second gear from the transmission to power out of the corners.

Then it all is the weight of the car and driver. A flat-six Porsche may not be able to win on a drag strip, but the 2100 lb. car weight lets the car enter into the braking zone later while also powering through the turns much easier.

Nonetheless, I have been road racing for 20 years and have never seen a competitive V-6 American car at a road race course.
Old 12/9/09, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I know a lot of folks are pushing the GT's Tq advantage over the V6. If Tq was everything, I think we'd see more powerstroke diesels at the track. Good low end Tq means you have good low end HP. Average HP should carry the day in the quarter mile. The low end torque will show up more at a road race where the engine is spending more time down low. I'd like to see some weight numbers for the new V6 but on paper it should be a high 13 second car stock. My 2 cents until Evan Smith gets one to a track.
That's a good point. A lot of the people pushing 1/4 mile times are trying to spend all their time in the sweet zone for hp, not tq. My guess is the tq helps in the 60 foot times. But what do I know?
Old 12/9/09, 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by THRUST_
hahaha I'm not surprised given your location, I met a pair of girls from montreal once. <--thats the most appropriate smiley I could find.

Edit: I forgot what the thread was about... can't wait for the 5.0

Know what you mean, where in the world were you hangin' out in our great city and especially with those two girls ? No don't tell me, not that club on Ste-Catherine street....
Proceed to topic please...
Old 12/9/09, 07:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

I understand, I lived with a girl who was a switch hitter for 12 years. She was Bat Poop crazy, but it was a non stop festival of sharing for the 12 years. The wife however, like Homie the clown, don't play that!
Ah,ah,ah, i like your story. Good old times.

Quick Reply: 2011 powertrain to be revealed at L.A. Autoshow