Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Yet Another MT-82 Down for the Count

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/12, 02:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I love how "Gear Whine" and "Notchy" = "down" or busted.

this is still a muscle car and this tranny and shifter is far better than the one i "rowed" for the last three years. and i had a short shifter (600.00) installed on the car from day one.

i had to get used to this trans... when i left the dealer, i was in third gear.... and i've been driving manual transmission for almost 30 years -- so its easy to make a mistake -- when you ask for more precision -- be careful what you ask for.

still in all i think they may have a clearance problem with 2nd gear syncro -- under some situations it seems to lag, if i tap the shifter to engage 2nd and pause a bit - and then shift, it will slide right in. Or if quickly shift from 1st to second (around 1800-1900rpm) no problem.

During a decent power shift there's no complaint -- upgrading shifters may be my only option.. I loved the Saleen short shifter in my old Fox body car -- now that was noisy.. the detents would make a snick-snick sound. I miss it
Old 5/8/12, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I love how "Gear Whine" and "Notchy" = "down" or busted.
Actually, I didn't say that. I said I took it to the dealer for the gear whine, they diagnosed it as being abnormal, and then took the suitable course of action to fix the problem.

I wasn't using this as a platform to complain about the transmission. I was using this thread to inform the forum users of a problem I experienced so that if they ever experience something similar they can get it taken care of.

P.s. - I have the car back, with the new transmission in it, and it drives beautifully; like the day I bought the car.
Old 5/8/12, 12:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought I had a shifter/tranny problem on my '13 today, but my phone had gotten caught between the lever and the bezel...d'oh! (Thought Id set it down in the cupholder.) Thought Id be on this thread *****in for a second there. So far so good in all gears, shifting like butter...knock on wood. Hoping Ford has already worked out most of these issues.
Old 5/8/12, 12:45 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was speaking in gernal about the people that are talking about this.
Old 5/11/12, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the classic gear whine issue and cold shift issues. I had my car in the shop for two weeks waiting for parts that were on backorder and Ford decided to go ahead and put a new tranny in it on Monday and it showed up to the dealership on Thursday and I drove the car home that evening.

I have to say this transmission is the polar opposite of the tranny that came stock with my 2011. There isn't a peep of gear whine, it is so nuts how quiet it is. The shifting is better and just feels more confident. I never realized how sloppy the shifting felt in my original tranny compared to this one.

Granted I only have about 100 miles on the new tranny, but I will pop back in after a 1000 miles to post how it is doing.
Old 5/11/12, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Some of these noobs that are new to the Mustang world have no clue to what a crappy tranmission is.

Some of us will remember the old T5 and T45 days. ugh...
Old 5/11/12, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by fake
Some of these noobs that are new to the Mustang world have no clue to what a crappy tranmission is.

Some of us will remember the old T5 and T45 days. ugh...

My T5 still going strong at 193k mi.
Old 5/11/12, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
Does this make it a good fit for the Mustang? That remains to be seen. I am also confident that the transmission was not designed in China -- what i would like to know is if the parts tooling is done inhouse in China or do they receive the bulk parts from different Getrag sources. if the latter is the case, then maybe there is a QC problem at the assembler.
With all the 'made in China' clamor I researched this transmission. It was designed by Ford and Getrag's joint venture in Germany. It is manufactured in a vertically integrated operation in China which is a joint venture between Getrag and a Chinese transmission company. The plant that makes the MT-82 is run by German employees of Getrag.

The only significant parts that appear to come from outside suppliers are the bearings. Unfortunately they aren't using bearings from SKF or other sound German companies (they have plants in china) as I had hoped, but rather a Chinese supplier... now before anyone can say 'should have bought a camaro' this bearing supplier also sells to GM and countless other automakers. It's still the one thing I find disturbing but they are probably decent enough to sell to all these automakers. If it was only GM I would worry
Old 5/12/12, 05:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 93 LX 5.0
My T5 still going strong at 193k mi.
Because of this "93 LX 5.0 Notchback -- Basically stock DD"

If you modify that '93 LX 5.0 with an Cam, Heads, Intake, Throttle Body, and Exhaust, I'll personally guarantee your T5 would break within 10k miles.

The T5's were great transmissions right around stock power levels, and since it is your daily driver, I suspect you don't hammer down on her much.

The MT82 simply cannot handle the power of the Coyote 5.0 while remaining durable. The more you use the power of your Coyote engine, the quicker the MT82 will begin its self destruction sequence.