Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Whining noise - Coming from Shifter area (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/11 | 01:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Zachsblk115.0
Gosh 8 days?? That's horrible thanks for the update tho
Ok, so they were going to pull the transmission apart but they decided that it would just be best to replace it entirely.

They said it might be done today. If a new transmission doesn't fix the issue I don't know what else would.
Old 4/6/11 | 04:15 PM
V6 Member

Update 4/6/11

Got the car back late yesterday.

Replaced the entire transmission. Hard shifting and whining noise is gone 100%.

Very happy with the results, the 10 days it was in the shop was no fun but i'm glad it's fixed.
Old 4/6/11 | 05:25 PM

Good to hear man, did they happen to say what the issue was???
Old 4/6/11 | 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Zachsblk115.0
Good to hear man, did they happen to say what the issue was???
They were going to pull the transmission apart but decided against it at the last minute because they were afraid if they did they wouldn't be able to figure out what it was and just ordered a new transmission instead.

They speculated though it could have been a bearing in the cluster? I'm sorry i'm not too savvy when it comes to transmissions.
Old 4/13/11 | 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wes, besides the tranny, did they change any flywheel parts ! Can you specify from the work order what are the part numbers they used to perform the work on your car ! Glad it all worked out good for you ! Keep us posted on how the new tranny performs say in a few hundred miles.
Thx

You're not alone : check this out......http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html
Old 4/18/11 | 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Wes, besides the tranny, did they change any flywheel parts ! Can you specify from the work order what are the part numbers they used to perform the work on your car ! Glad it all worked out good for you ! Keep us posted on how the new tranny performs say in a few hundred miles.
Thx

You're not alone : check this out......http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html
I will look at the work order and post everything they replaced (it's at home and i'm at work). As far as I can recall, the transmission assembly was the only thing on there along with some diagnostic stuff.

That thread is scary.
Old 4/20/11 | 07:18 PM

Mine sounds just like this. Car has 1900 miles. Going to dealer next week.
Old 5/3/11 | 03:48 PM
V6 Member

Only the transmission is listed on the workorder (trans assy), FYI in case anyone is wondering.
Old 7/24/11 | 06:03 PM
V6 Member

yea i work at a ford dealer on long island and my friend brought his 2011gt in for the same concern i contacted ford tech service hotline and spoke to a engineer and he sayed guys have replaced trannys and berings and gear sets and the concern always seems to come back i just find it wered that they know somthings up just dont know what there doin about it. sorry for the spelling lol
Old 8/9/11 | 05:07 PM
V6 Member

Just reporting back after a 1000 miles, new trans is holding up great.
Old 10/12/11 | 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine just now started making the same noise Monday.. Took it to the dealer today and got an appointment for tomorrow morning to have them look at it
Old 10/12/11 | 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

on mine, when the transmission was replaced, they found scoring on the bearing surfaces and lots of metal. I think there had to be some loose tolerances that caused the issue. My new transmission doesn't make a peep, hopefully will continue to be so once they have a working clutch in it.

Here's the invoice from my noise-related MT82 replacement:
Old 10/13/11 | 08:17 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by Zackery C
Mine just now started making the same noise Monday.. Took it to the dealer today and got an appointment for tomorrow morning to have them look at it
Hi Zackery C,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Glad to hear you are going to work with your dealer regarding this. I can also escalate this for you if you’d like. Just PM me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info and I can forward it to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 10/13/11 | 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm wondering why so much different information is coming from Ford/Dealers on this? Some people are having transmissions replaced, while others (myself included) are being told it's normal and to kick rocks.

My dealership has always been pretty good to me, but I'm wondering if it's not laziness, or unwillingness on their part to properly diagnose it.
Old 10/14/11 | 11:28 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by jlmounce
I'm wondering why so much different information is coming from Ford/Dealers on this? Some people are having transmissions replaced, while others (myself included) are being told it's normal and to kick rocks.
Hi jlmounce,

I was not aware you were having transmission concerns as well, only the engine noise from back in March. Has any of it worsened? Let me know if you’d like me to escalate this again for you.

Deysha
Old 10/14/11 | 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
on mine, when the transmission was replaced, they found scoring on the bearing surfaces and lots of metal. I think there had to be some loose tolerances that caused the issue. My new transmission doesn't make a peep, hopefully will continue to be so once they have a working clutch in it.

Here's the invoice from my noise-related MT82 replacement:

This really pisses me off, my delearship is saying that the Ford Engineers are looking into the issue and they wanted to drive another 5.0 6MT to compare the sound to. I told them I have driven 2 other ones here in town and nto one is making the whine mine is and something needs to be done.

I just called the Service Manager and left him a message about your invoice and how people are getting their transmissions replaced.

I am quickly losing faith in Ford, I looked forward to driving this car every day now I dread it cause I will keep hearing the whining noise fromt he tranny and it just puts me in a bad mood.