Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Is this tick sound normal when the car is warm?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/11, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Where can I find this TSB in a PDF format. I've been looking and can't find it. Ford usually issues TSB's in PDF.

My engine does not tick. All I can here is the injectors and that's normal.
This TSB is something that I found on another site. I did not see it in PDF form.

The TSB is specific that it is not typical valvetrain noise. The tick that most are experiencing is very audible. It happens from idle - 2000 rpm's while slightly revving the motor, or under load at the same rpm levels. It does not occur on cold start up, and becomes active once the car is at operating tempature.

The best way to describe it: A header leak with slight more of a ticking/tapping sound. From my reading, it appears that this annoying issue happens after the first oil change.

Last edited by 05-1947; 9/28/11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 9/28/11, 02:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-1947
This TSB is something that I found on another site. I did not see it in PDF form.

The TSB is specific that it is not typical valvetrain noise. The tick that most are experiencing is very audible. It happens from idle - 2000 rpm's while slightly revving the motor, or under load at the same rpm levels. It does not occur on cold start up, and becomes active once the car is at operating tempature.

The best way to describe it: A header leak with slight more of a ticking/tapping sound. From my reading, it appears that this annoying issue happens after the first oil change.
So the TSB you found is not related to the myriad of common ticks others like KonaBlur have been experiencing? I believe the more common tick is the one found after first oil change? From all that I have read, Ford still has no solution to that infamous tick, correct?
Old 9/28/11, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
So the TSB you found is not related to the myriad of common ticks others like KonaBlur have been experiencing? I believe the more common tick is the one found after first oil change? From all that I have read, Ford still has no solution to that infamous tick, correct?

I am not sure which Tick this relates to, but it seems to be the closest to what is being described.

The TSB even describes the Tick as "not typical upper engine tapping/noise".

Last edited by 05-1947; 9/28/11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 9/28/11, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm putting the additive in tomorrow and switching to royal purple 5w30 so we'll see what happens... Hope this takes care of it so I don't have to mess with timing chains, etc.
Old 9/28/11, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I'm putting the additive in tomorrow and switching to royal purple 5w30 so we'll see what happens... Hope this takes care of it so I don't have to mess with timing chains, etc.
What is the additive and how does it relate to the first oil change/tick?
Old 9/28/11, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05-1947

What is the additive and how does it relate to the first oil change/tick?
To be honest... I have no idea how it fixes the problem... I've seen that it 'masked' the ticking noise on a few forums so I figured I'd try it... The link is earlier in this thread. Losing my mind at this point over this tick
Old 9/28/11, 09:21 PM
I Have No Life

5.0L ENGINE - METALLIC RATTLE OR SCRATCHING TYPE NOISE FROM FRONT OF LEFT HAND CYLINDER HEAD AT IDLE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/31/2011

^ hopefully my newly ordered 5.0 is exempt from this issue, as this seems to only apply to models built before 3/31/11. I hope ford has fixed the issue.
Old 9/29/11, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

So this afternoon I'm doing the royal purple 5w30 and the additive... Any reco's on a filter?
Old 9/29/11, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

I say stick with Motorcraft filter for now, since you're having the "tick" issue, i would change one thing at a time.
Old 9/30/11, 06:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Where can I find this TSB in a PDF format. I've been looking and can't find it. Ford usually issues TSB's in PDF.
^ more importantly, as I asked earlier, where can I find a list of ALL the TSB's that are out for our cars? Is there a definitive location to find all the mustang TSBs for 2011+ models? Deysha can you assist?
Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I'm unsure if theirs a database like that... That would be a very good idea though. Maybe someone else knows
Hello members,

There are no specific sites that would show any TSBs for your vehicle. If you are having any concerns with your vehicle please bring it in to your local Ford dealership for diagnosis and they will be able to look for any TSBs that could potentially be related. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 10/2/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a rattle (coming from the passenger side) and the tick (driver's side) that sounds like when your car is hot after you've shut it off and is cooling, or you run over a pebbles. I brought my car to the dealer about a month ago and after showing the service writer he called the service manager who came out and listened to it. He said it was not normal and to leave my car which I did. The next day they called me back and said my car was fine and the tech ran through all of the protocall check's and scans. Everything came back normal.

When I picked it up I asked the writer what was making the noise and he said it was normal. Now I've listened to about half a dozen new 5.0's some with less mileage, some with more, and some the same. They don't make these sounds. So now what? I really like my car, as many have said their car fits them mine fits me. These sounds are making me not want to drive my car. It's sad.

I owned several German cars and the service is quite different, you bring it in for an issue and they fix it! Simple as that! I had an awd car with a rear diff humm at highway speeds. Brought the car in test drove it with the shop foreman and he told me to leave it, gave me a loaner and within a week called me back my car was ready and they had replaced the entire rear diff. No more noise! My car was lowered, had and intake, exhaust and performance reflash. They didn't ask me questions if I had been doing awd launches and burnouts ( I hadn't) to find ways to void my warranty.

This is the first new American car I purchased, and I must say it felt good getting a car I liked and supporting the American economy in whatever little way I did at the same time. But the service dept's that support these cars are horrible.

I also have a question for Deysha, by giving you my info and if you were to escalate the claim to the regional customer service person would this be something that would be detrimental to a dealer's rating? The reason I ask is I have another appointment with the service manager to listen to my car again and depending on how that goes I may want to do that. However, I don't want to burn any bridges and them refuse to do work on my car or do lesser quality work because I complained, and be forced to go to another dealer and start over. Thanks!
Old 10/2/11, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
I have a rattle (coming from the passenger side) and the tick (driver's side) that sounds like when your car is hot after you've shut it off and is cooling, or you run over a pebbles. I brought my car to the dealer about a month ago and after showing the service writer he called the service manager who came out and listened to it. He said it was not normal and to leave my car which I did. The next day they called me back and said my car was fine and the tech ran through all of the protocall check's and scans. Everything came back normal.

When I picked it up I asked the writer what was making the noise and he said it was normal. Now I've listened to about half a dozen new 5.0's some with less mileage, some with more, and some the same. They don't make these sounds. So now what? I really like my car, as many have said their car fits them mine fits me. These sounds are making me not want to drive my car. It's sad.

I owned several German cars and the service is quite different, you bring it in for an issue and they fix it! Simple as that! I had an awd car with a rear diff humm at highway speeds. Brought the car in test drove it with the shop foreman and he told me to leave it, gave me a loaner and within a week called me back my car was ready and they had replaced the entire rear diff. No more noise! My car was lowered, had and intake, exhaust and performance reflash. They didn't ask me questions if I had been doing awd launches and burnouts ( I hadn't) to find ways to void my warranty.

This is the first new American car I purchased, and I must say it felt good getting a car I liked and supporting the American economy in whatever little way I did at the same time. But the service dept's that support these cars are horrible.

I also have a question for Deysha, by giving you my info and if you were to escalate the claim to the regional customer service person would this be something that would be detrimental to a dealer's rating? The reason I ask is I have another appointment with the service manager to listen to my car again and depending on how that goes I may want to do that. However, I don't want to burn any bridges and them refuse to do work on my car or do lesser quality work because I complained, and be forced to go to another dealer and start over. Thanks!

Did it start after your first oil change?
Old 10/2/11, 03:57 PM
I Have No Life

^ and if it did start after first oil change, what oil did you use? I find it weird that these ticks start after the first oil change. Can't be pure coincidence on all these cars. Is there some other reset switch etc that you guys hit to have this tick start?
Old 10/2/11, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I would say it started after the second oil change. It could've been there before but I didn't notice it till recently (July). My car has 9800 miles, I had the first oil change done by the dealer at around 3500-3800 miles.
Old 10/2/11, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I would say it started after the second oil change. It could've been there before but I didn't notice it till recently (July). My car has 9800 miles, I had the first oil change done by the dealer at around 3500-3800 miles.
Mine was also on the second oil change... Does your tick sound like this?
http://youtu.be/jB-F409uegg
Old 10/2/11, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Not quite it's actually just like the rattle in the video below but his is obviously coming from the driver's side and mine is on the passenger side. But it's the same rattle.

http://youtu.be/3TeFix0OElw

http://youtu.be/w2ZMy865Qd4

Last edited by alcarames; 10/2/11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10/2/11, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone ever hear a sound that I can best describe as a rattle/tick it's not a consistent tick like a valvetrain component. It's sort of inconsistent but always there. I tried to hold the top piece to see if that was rattling but it's not. It's on the passenger side.
Old 10/2/11, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe my tick noise went away. I just drove it for an hour then left the car on while I got out and got a good listen. I don't know if it'll come back I hope not. There are 2 things I can think of that might have took care of the problem. I live in NYC and recently it's cold (60-70f degrees). When the temperature is hot outside (90 degrees) I would get a squeak in my front lower control arms. When it's colder the squeak would go away. The dealer has changed my front lower control arms 3 times. After the 3rd time changing the control arms I didn't hear the engine tick. It can be either....the engine makes the ticking noise when the temperature is hot....I mean the tick is only there after driving for 40 minutes when the engine is hot OR it can have something to do with the control arms. Furthermore, maybe some engine oils such as synthetic work better under extreme hot conditions so some people reported not having the tick after switching to synthetic. I realized there are a number of problems when driving the mustang in hot weather, squeaks, rattles etc.

Last edited by Will3212; 10/2/11 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10/2/11, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Does anyone ever hear a sound that I can best describe as a rattle/tick it's not a consistent tick like a valvetrain component. It's sort of inconsistent but always there. I tried to hold the top piece to see if that was rattling but it's not. It's on the passenger side.
it's the engine tick we're all talking about here
Old 10/3/11, 07:28 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a rattle (coming from the passenger side) and the tick (driver's side) that sounds like when your car is hot after you've shut it off and is cooling, or you run over a pebbles.

I also have a question for Deysha, by giving you my info and if you were to escalate the claim to the regional customer service person would this be something that would be detrimental to a dealer's rating?
Hey alcarames,

Escalating your concern will not affect your dealer's ratings at all. This helps all of us work together to get the concern resolved for you.

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Hey Blackbird,

Have you made an appointment with your Ford dealer to have this looked at? If not, please do so and PM me with your dealer, mileage, contact info, and VIN so I can help.

Originally Posted by Will3212
I believe my tick noise went away.
I sure hope is gone for good, Will3212! I'm still here if you need me.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 10/3/11 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this tick sound normal when the car is warm?