Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Is this tick sound normal when the car is warm?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/11, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this tick sound normal when the car is warm?

After driving for about 30 minutes, when I get out of the car I can hear a low tick noise maybe one between 4 seconds coming from the engine compartment. When I turn off the car and wait 10 minutes, then restart it the noise is gone. It might just be the car cooling itself off from driving. Chances are it's normal but I wanted to check if anyone here hears it after driving for about 30 minutes.
Old 9/20/11, 08:32 PM

Are you talking about when the engine is idling or after you shut if off?
Old 9/20/11, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shane_atv
Are you talking about when the engine is idling or after you shut if off?
when the engine is idling. After driving for about 30 minutes and then coming to a stop and the engine is idling. If I turn the car off, wait 15 minutes then start the car again and the engine is idling the sound won't be there. is this normal? it's this sound exactly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg

Last edited by Will3212; 9/21/11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 9/21/11, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone tried the oil additive that the people in the YouTube comments were talking about? I have this tick and my dealer blamed my tune... I dyno tuned it (not necessarily for that reason ) and I still have the tick... Drives me insane. I've heard it could be injectors or 50w oil when the coyote is designed for 20w although I haven't fact checked any of this... Supposedly this additive is doing the job though, even though it's prob just masking the problem. Might try it out...
Old 9/21/11, 12:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I also read that switching to a full synthetic oil like castrol 5w20 helps. If it really is normal then fine I'll deal with the noise but if it leads to me getting stranded then it's a problem. Should I take it in to the dealer for this problem? what was the solution when other people took it in?
Old 9/21/11, 08:03 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
After driving for about 30 minutes, when I get out of the car I can hear a low tick noise maybe one between 4 seconds coming from the engine compartment.
Hi Will3212,

I recommend you bring your vehicle back to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me so I can reopen your case.

Deysha
Old 9/21/11, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I took my car in for transmission issue and had them look at the same engine tick and was told it is normal as it is the injectors that are driven by electrical solenoids and the sound you hear is the solenoids. Nothing you can do about it but enjoy the sound of an engine that sounds like it has 100k miles on it
Old 9/21/11, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Will is just about fed up of taking his car to the dealer. Poor guy is probably invited to Thanksgiving dinner with his dealer he's been there so much.
Old 9/21/11, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all, I do not have that tick...

If it is injectors, every 5.0 engine should have the same tick or get the injectors replaced so it is quiet.

If it is internal in the engine, a tech should be able to pin point the source with their many listening devices. Getting it to that point could be a problem. Different oil may mask the noise and it should not take different oil to get rid of it.

When you take it in, start every 5.0 on the lot and see if any tick.....
Old 9/21/11, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech
I took my car in for transmission issue and had them look at the same engine tick and was told it is normal as it is the injectors that are driven by electrical solenoids and the sound you hear is the solenoids. Nothing you can do about it but enjoy the sound of an engine that sounds like it has 100k miles on it
thing is some people have it, some don't. Some might not know they have it because I only get it when the engine is hot (after driving for 30 minutes).
Old 9/21/11, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
First of all, I do not have that tick...

If it is injectors, every 5.0 engine should have the same tick or get the injectors replaced so it is quiet.

If it is internal in the engine, a tech should be able to pin point the source with their many listening devices. Getting it to that point could be a problem. Different oil may mask the noise and it should not take different oil to get rid of it.

When you take it in, start every 5.0 on the lot and see if any tick.....
did you try listening when the car is hot after driving for 30 minutes?
Old 9/21/11, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the best option may be to mask the sound with loud axle-back, ported heads, cams, and LTs w/ ORXpipe... No more tick!!!
Old 9/21/11, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

A SLIGHT ticking noise is normal for an engine equipped with hydraulic lifters (or so I've heard).

Last edited by Captain Spadaro; 9/21/11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 9/21/11, 02:41 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Nope. And don't let anyone tell you different. You shouldn't be able to hear lifters. And a slight tapping is not even acceptable. Get it repaired before something fails after you are out of warranty.
Old 9/21/11, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
did you try listening when the car is hot after driving for 30 minutes?
Yep.....numerous times in the 10,600 miles since Nov 29.
Old 9/21/11, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

=. And a slight tapping is not even acceptable.
^this^ I may be told it's nothing when I'm at the dealer but if I can't figure something out... this is definitely my last Ford (stereotypical forum threat). I'll get a vette and move on (not THAT attached) The ticking drives me insane!!! It's one thing when my car-nut buddies mention it. It's another when I bring a girl in my car and she hears it over the loudest exhaust Borla makes. I'm 23 years old and I worked my *** off for this ****in car. I'm sick of dealers telling me a load of BS, keeping my car for 4 days, and then returning it to me ticking away like I'm trying to light a grill and cook burgers for the service department... The only ACTUAL help I get, is here on these forums. Everything else is just talk... FML...

Last edited by Kona Blur; 9/22/11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 9/22/11, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
^this^ I may be told it's nothing when I'm at the dealer but if I can't figure something out... this is definitely my last Ford (stereotypical forum threat). I'll get a vette and move on (not THAT attached) The ticking drives me insane!!! It's one thing when my car-nut buddies mention it. It's another when I bring a girl in my car and she hears it over the loudest exhaust Borla makes. I'm 23 years old and I worked my *** off for this ****in car. I'm sick of dealers telling me a load of BS, keeping my car for 4 days, and then returning it to me ticking away like I'm trying to light a grill and cook burgers for the service department... The only ACTUAL help I get, is here on these forums. Everything else is just talk... FML... I'm about to 'escalate' my choice in vehicles
so you're getting the tick too? I just spent 2 hours reading posts about this issue. Some people said after an additive was added by Ford the tick noise was gone, however, it would return. Other people said it gets better over time when more miles are put on the car and that it's just a break-in thing. What did the dealer do when you brought it in for this tick noise?
Old 9/22/11, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

On the forums: I've been reco'ed injector cleaner, the Ford additive (which my dealer has never heard of and can't find), different oil/filter setups, etc. Don't know what to think...
At the dealer: They usually blame my tune with ZERO backing whatsoever, I've also been told it's normal and can't be fixed...
I just emailed my dealer the YouTube vids of other cars doing it. Curious as to his response...
If anyone knows how to fix this rather than just mask it, you're help would be priceless...
BTW I have 12k miles and my ticking didn't start until around 7k

Last edited by Kona Blur; 9/22/11 at 12:32 AM.
Old 9/22/11, 11:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
I took my car in for transmission issue and had them look at the same engine tick and was told it is normal as it is the injectors that are driven by electrical solenoids and the sound you hear is the solenoids.
Originally Posted by Kona Blur
On the forums: I've been reco'ed injector cleaner, the Ford additive (which my dealer has never heard of and can't find), different oil/filter setups, etc.
Hey guys,

This is the additive everyone is talking about: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Sh...?addpart=xl-17. Please speak to your Ford dealer about your concern. If you need any further assistance, please PM me.

Deysha
Old 9/22/11, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

alright so I brought it into the dealer this morning to get my 3rd set of control arms put in. According to Ford, this time the new control arms are updated and redesigned, so hopefully this takes care of the squeak so far so good. I mentioned the engine tick to the mechanic who installed my control arms. According to the mechanic the engine tick is normal and it's because the 5.0 engines are driven with a chain instead of a belt. He said something along those lines. He said the tick I hear is that. Can anyone verify this?

Quick Reply: Is this tick sound normal when the car is warm?