Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Stress Crack on Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/15 | 02:18 PM

Stress Crack on Windshield

Hey guys so I was driving down the highway today and noticed a huge curved crack in my windshield literally form and spread right before my eyes. I knew I didn't have any previous cracks or chips before this so when I got home to check it out, I realized it came from the dead center of the windshield and actually curved out on both sides. The sides are symmetrical and both come from spot on the top middle of the windshield. Has anyone seen this before and is this grounds for a warranty claim? I plan on taking it to the dealership today but just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before in case I have to play hard ball with them. Thanks for any advice guys.
Attached Images      
Old 5/2/15 | 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

That certainly LOOKS like a stress crack.
Old 5/2/15 | 07:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Never seen one like that before. I bet the dealership will claim no responsibility.
Old 5/2/15 | 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Dealership might fix, FoMoCo will not approve the repair, guaranteed. Dealer might play ball, though.
Old 5/3/15 | 12:27 PM

Yea it's weird because there is no chip I can find that could have started it. Have to wait until Monday to take it in to Ford so I'll see what happens
Old 5/3/15 | 05:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Yeah, you're probably gonna be on the hook for that unless the dealership fixes it out of good faith to keep a customer happy. Although I wouldn't hold my breath, lol.

Have you checked your insurance to see if you have free glass replacement (no deductible)?
Old 5/4/15 | 08:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by fivepoint0nick
Hey guys so I was driving down the highway today and noticed a huge curved crack in my windshield literally form and spread right before my eyes. I knew I didn't have any previous cracks or chips before this so when I got home to check it out, I realized it came from the dead center of the windshield and actually curved out on both sides. The sides are symmetrical and both come from spot on the top middle of the windshield. Has anyone seen this before and is this grounds for a warranty claim? I plan on taking it to the dealership today but just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before in case I have to play hard ball with them. Thanks for any advice guys.
Let me know what your Ford Dealer says when you bring it in today, fivepoint0nick.

Deysha
Old 5/4/15 | 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a similar crack that happened after a rock kicked up. You sure you just didn’t miss the rock hit the windshield? Mine started out less then a half inch long, and by the end of the day, it looked like yours. You probably will have better luck with insurance if you have glass coverage.