Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Whats with ford?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/15, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so I've gone to 3 different dealerships and they don't provide rental. The one that does, is the one close by me...but I've had really really bad experience with them that I don't really want to deal with them anymore. I mean, if your taking your car for service and its under warranty... shouldn't you be provided a rental? My car is making some kind of engine gear whine if it makes sense ...can't really explain the noise, but definitely know it's not normal. I can hear it when I'm just tapping the gas pedal just a little and can hear it in a certain rpm. This morning I turned on the car and I could hear it on idle. Probably, because engine was cold. If I pay attention and put my eat between the radio and the shifter I can really hear it. I really want to take it for service and don't want to stay without transportation. They all told me I need the extended warranty to get a rental.

Last edited by fivepoint00; 4/20/15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 4/20/15, 08:14 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fivepoint00
Okay so I've gone to 3 different dealerships and they don't provide rental. The one that does, is the one close by me...but I've had really really bad experience with them that I don't really want to deal with them anymore. I mean, if your taking your car for service and its under warranty... shouldn't you be provided a rental? My car is making some kind of engine gear whine if it makes sense ...can't really explain the noise, but definitely know it's not normal. I can hear it when I'm just tapping the gas pedal just a little and can hear it in a certain rpm. This morning I turned on the car and I could hear it on idle. Probably, because engine was cold. If I pay attention and put my eat between the radio and the shifter I can really hear it. I really want to take it for service and don't want to stay without transportation. They all told me I need the extended warranty to get a rental.
Hi fivepoint00,

The new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover rentals or loaners while your vehicle is down for service/repairs. Loaners are provided per dealer availability and not all dealers have that option. Some only have it available if you purchased the vehicle from them, or if it’s an extenuating circumstance, etc. This is also why we offer rental provisions with our Extended Service Plans with first day rental or after 24 hour rental, etc.

For clarification, you’re welcome to speak with your service manager at your Ford Dealer. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer (the one you’d like to bring it to), mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in your customer service manager as well.

Deysha
Old 4/24/15, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
fivepoint, translated what that means is that because you didn't pay extra money to Ford they aren't going to help you out with a loaner. Congratulations, this is the level of service you get when you by a $30,000 car from Ford.
Old 4/24/15, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
So, what, they should bump up the price to $40,000 to ensure you a rental?

Makes all the sense. Oh, wait, they can, you BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY plan, instead of expect a rental just because you just bought a car.

Next, you'll expect Best Buy to come to your house to pick up the broken MP3 player instead of having to trudge your way down to their store to swap it.

Entitlement. It's what's for dinner...lunch and breakfast too, in America, seems.

Last edited by houtex; 4/24/15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 4/24/15, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

Makes all the sense. Oh, wait, they can, you BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY plan, instead of expect a rental just because you just bought a car.

Next, you'll expect Best Buy to come to your house to pick up the broken MP3 player instead of having to trudge your way down to their store to swap it.

Entitlement. It's what's for dinner...lunch and breakfast too, in America, seems.
This made me laugh... Thank you Houtex, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 4/24/15, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you have a car that is under factory warranty and the dealership has to keep it overnight there should be a loaner provided. It's not too much to ask especially considering how much new cars cost. If you feel like they don't have to provide one get your walking shoes on, I couldn't care less. But the rest of us have common sense.

By the way, when they kept my car overnight to repair the hood corrosion they gave me a rental. Guess you just got a crappy dealership and are accustom to eating their crap sandwiches.

Last edited by 3point7; 4/24/15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 4/24/15, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Common sense?

Ok. I suppose you didn't see the Best Buy scenario above. So lemme spell it out.

You buy a car for $30,000, and you get THE CAR. That's it. You want an ESP, you buy that. Just like you would buy the nav package or not. Leather, or not. Whatever you want that's available... or not.

Ford does not put enough profit (as laughable as that might seem to be to you all who would scoff) on these cars to ensure a rental for each and every time you bring it in and have to have warranty on it. They DO put enough to fix the problem, of course, in the percentages that DO NOT have to come in for warranty are much higher. But that's built into the cost, and they play those percentages.

You forget there's the cost of the dealership's electricity, water, gas, etc, plus the cost of the lift, and the cost of the tech, and the service writer, and the service manager, and the store's rent, etc, ad nauseum. The labor rates are X dollars per hour, and Y hours to fix the problem.

Now you want to add the cost of a rental above and beyond that? Ok. The car WILL COST $40,000, and then they DO NOT SELL.

Further, to have EACH AND EVERY dealership be prepared to hand you another car is simply a ludicrous effort. Not every dealership will have a rental/spare fleet, and not one big enough, to deal with ALL the customers who demand a car for their warranty service.

What you ask is simply... silly.

But you go on believing that your car is worth a rental every single time... I hope you find a dealership big enough, and still good enough in service and customer relations, that will do that for you.

Ford sold you the car. You *could* have gotten the ESP. You chose not to. Now you realize the fallacy of your mistake. Deal.

THAT's the common sense of it.

/aaand I'm spent.
//And oh, by the way, 'you' is nobody in particular, except a general person who did not buy the ESP.

Last edited by houtex; 4/24/15 at 07:31 PM.
Old 4/24/15, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Common sense?

Ok. I suppose you didn't see the Best Buy scenario above. So lemme spell it out.
I stopped reading right there. There is nothing for you to spell out to me. A cheap *** MP3 player from Best Buy is not a $30,000 car. There is a huge difference in the two comparisons you are trying to make and if you don't understand that difference than there's no hope for you. When a person pays what it costs to buy a new car, which is a lot, than it is not asking too much for the company to provide a loaner car when that new car has to be in for warranty work overnight. There is nothing difficult about this concept and it's the right thing to do.
Old 4/24/15, 10:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I stopped reading right there. There is nothing for you to spell out to me. A cheap *** MP3 player from Best Buy is not a $30,000 car. There is a huge difference in the two comparisons you are trying to make and if you don't understand that difference than there's no hope for you. When a person pays what it costs to buy a new car, which is a lot, than it is not asking too much for the company to provide a loaner car when that new car has to be in for warranty work overnight. There is nothing difficult about this concept and it's the right thing to do.

In a perfect world yes
It often boils down to your relationship with your dealer. I myself have dealt with my dealer for almost 20 years. I DO get a free loaner or a free lift to and from home when my car needs to stay overnight. My dealer has 3 loaner cars total, so if they're all gone they get me a rental. That's because i've bought tons of cars and service from them. Does that mean every joe blow who bought a car from them gets that service without paying? fraid not. Back in the day, if i didn't buy the red carpet extras i had to get a buddy to pick me up or take a cab. If you don't buy the extra coverage you gotta bank up some good karma some how and get good treatment in return.
Old 4/25/15, 12:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't mind staying without a car just for that day, but I know with the problems I'm having with the car I know it will take some says. That's why I was just asking if they could give me a rental or something (it's the dealership I bought my car at). They said no... I have some engine noises that are NOT normal! I can also hear some rattling on the right side of the windshield. Now with the engine issue I know it will take more than a day to fix, which I think it's fords job to provide a rental... I'll suck it up and when I get the chance I'll take it to the dealership. Around 4 months ago I took my car there and they wanted to provide a vehicle... Now they don't? Umm wonder why..

Last edited by fivepoint00; 4/25/15 at 12:31 AM.
Old 4/25/15, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've been buying new cars for 25 years. I've bought 16 new cars over that time span. It used to be common place that if a new car had to stay overnight or longer for warranty work the dealership would provide a loaner. Several years ago, however, they all decided that the cost of giving out loaners was too high and they began refusing to do it. It's a cheap cop out. While making ever larger profit margins they are also finding ever more ways to put the cost of doing business on the backs of the average consumer. It's just another example of why it's not worth it to buy new cars anymore. I don't care if it's someone's first new car or their 50th new car. When you spend that much money on something that has a warranty the company should stand behind it's product and provide a loaner when they have to keep it for repair.
Old 4/25/15, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

the dealership would provide a loaner.
No they shouldn't. Get un-mad or un-whatever it is that made you skip the other post as to the why.

It's a simple cost problem. Ford doesn't pay it, because we don't pay it as part of the deal.
Old 4/25/15, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

No they shouldn't. Get un-mad or un-whatever it is that made you skip the other post as to the why.

It's a simple cost problem. Ford doesn't pay it, because we don't pay it as part of the deal.

Nonsense. You're exactly the kind of sucker they want as a customer lol. The kind that doesn't mind that they offer terrible service after selling you a very expensive new vehicle. I skipped your post because the simple fact is there is no good reason for these companies that take in billions of dollars in profit every three months not to offer a loaner vehicle and there is nothing you can say that will change that fact.
Old 4/25/15, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Nonsense. You're exactly the kind of sucker they want as a customer lol. The kind that doesn't mind that they offer terrible service after selling you a very expensive new vehicle. I skipped your post because the simple fact is there is no good reason for these companies that take in billions of dollars in profit every three months not to offer a loaner vehicle and there is nothing you can say that will change that fact.
It's not that expensive, comparatively speaking...

You didn't exactly just buy a $120,000 sedan.
Old 4/25/15, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's not that expensive, comparatively speaking...

You didn't exactly just buy a $120,000 sedan.
Aside from a home an automobile is the second most expensive item that 90% of people will ever buy. It doesn't matter if its a $20,000 Fiesta or a $100,000 GT. It is likely an expensive investment for most people and they should be treated accordingly.
Old 4/25/15, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both of my local Ford dealers will *sometimes* provide a free rental as they don't have loaners. If not, they will give you the discounted dealer rental rate. Even when using the Ford extended warranty for a rental, you still have to pay your deductible.
Old 4/25/15, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Aside from a home an automobile is the second most expensive item that 90% of people will ever buy. It doesn't matter if its a $20,000 Fiesta or a $100,000 GT. It is likely an expensive investment for most people and they should be treated accordingly.
So houses should come with warranties because they are a significant investment? My house purchase required me to do a thorough inspection, and after the purchase I was more or less stuck with how it was. Something broke a month later? I had to fix it. How much it costs has nothing to do with the equation.

If excellent after sale service is something you desire then do your research and choose a company that offers it.
Old 4/25/15, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I had an Infiniti G35 and then a G37 and anytime car was at dealer for something I got a loaner. Had an Acura before that and got a loaner car when it had to stay overnight for a heated seat issue. If inifiniti and acura can do it can't see why ford can't. All of those cars were under $40k. I have to agree. If you spent close to 40k on a car and then have a warranty issue take the car out of service the owner still needs to pay for the car payment and insurance on a car that he can't use then have to pay for a rental car on top of that. I only pray that I never have a warranty issue with this car. I would probably pay for it myself or just upgrade whatever broke. The thought of leaving my car at a dealership for some moron to abuse drives me nuts. I am passionate about my car. To them its nothing more than a piece of metal to bring in money and most of them know nothing more about a mustang than what's in the brochure. There are some exceptions. Just wish the one I knew wasn't 76 miles away.

Last edited by imeyers302; 4/25/15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 4/25/15, 11:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
So houses should come with warranties because they are a significant investment? My house purchase required me to do a thorough inspection, and after the purchase I was more or less stuck with how it was. Something broke a month later? I had to fix it. How much it costs has nothing to do with the equation.

If excellent after sale service is something you desire then do your research and choose a company that offers it.

Apparently you are unaware the you can get home warranties. That is another issue however. When this "something" broke did it prevent you from living in your house? Were you without a house until it was fixed? No you weren't and there in lies the difference.
Old 4/25/15, 11:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes, when my furnace broke in the middle of January during a very cold Michigan winter, I was out of my house for 2 days until it was fixed.

Regardless, we are all consumers, and we all have decisions to make. If company A's policies and practices after the sale are not to your liking, there are a lot more companies to choose from. Vote with your wallet if you're not happy.

Just sayin'. Especially when the burden of the loaner vehicle is on the dealer and not so much on Ford Motor Company.

Quick Reply: Whats with ford?