Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Scratches on driver's side/passanger side windows

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/13, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches on driver's side/passanger side windows

I've noticed recently that there are scratches in the exact same place, same pattern on both of the side windows from top to bottom. The scratches look like they might be caused by the window rollers (idk the technical term). My windows are tinted. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 4/16/13, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There shouldn't be any rollers. I haven't been inside the door of these newer mustangs, but they should be "guides" with felt on them. Maybe the felt has come off somehow and is marking your window.
Old 4/17/13, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by *MustangTherapy*
I've noticed recently that there are scratches in the exact same place, same pattern on both of the side windows from top to bottom. The scratches look like they might be caused by the window rollers (idk the technical term). My windows are tinted. Anyone else have this issue?
I have the same exact problem since day 1. I picked my car up and the passenger window had mostly vertical scratches on it. I did not notice them at first but the dealer was kind enough to replace my window a week later. Fast forward to now (6 mons) and the new passenger window is all scratched up again. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because last time they said it was impossible for anything inside the door to cause the issue and blamed a rock getting stuck near the felt (BS)... I was just about to make a post to see if anyone else had this issue. I want to get my windows tinted but I need to resolve this first.

Last edited by Rando; 4/17/13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 4/17/13, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange, sometimes I get some lines I've thought we're scratches from something hanging on the felt but it always cleans right off. No problems with this, and I have tint
Old 4/17/13, 08:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The scratches are caused by the elemental crud that gets caught in the edge of the door sill.

There's a trim piece that feels like felt along the window under the plastic sill. Gently pull it back and rub a soft brush in it. You can then use an armour all wipe to clean it.

Same concept as to why you should never use your wipers without spraying the windshield first. Even the tiniest of road debris and dust can scratch your glass.
Old 4/17/13, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
The scratches are caused by the elemental crud that gets caught in the edge of the door sill.

There's a trim piece that feels like felt along the window under the plastic sill. Gently pull it back and rub a soft brush in it. You can then use an armour all wipe to clean it.

Same concept as to why you should never use your wipers without spraying the windshield first. Even the tiniest of road debris and dust can scratch your glass.
It's a tight fit there's no way dirt is causing these scratches. Regardless, every car uses the same concept and I don't see any scratched windows on those. My old car didn't have a single scratch.

If I have to worry about debris then why bother rolling down the window?
Old 4/17/13, 12:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando

It's a tight fit there's no way dirt is causing these scratches. Regardless, every car uses the same concept and I don't see any scratched windows on those. My old car didn't have a single scratch.

If I have to worry about debris then why bother rolling down the window?
The newer mustangs come with a factory "solar tint" it's that cheap greenish film they call a tint. Hardly the highest quality material.

Regardless...

Not going to debate it but imagine a piece of an acorn, tiny rock, pine cone shard, or whatever else getting stuck in that "tight fit" and rubbing against that cheap film.

Well... You know the rest. Worry about keeping the car clean, being proactive and roll the windows up and down until your fingers give out. Lol

Last edited by Getportfolio; 4/17/13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 4/17/13, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

I don't think this is the issue. I'm a freak about keeping my car clean. It has literally never been dirty...ever. Besides, the scratches seemed to have formed at the exact same time and are the exact same shape (about 2.5" wide with a vertical scratch that spans the window).
Old 4/17/13, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=458

In there you can inspect how the window works. There is literally NOTHING else that can cause the shaving you describe, UNLESS there was a contaminant in the door.

And as such, there is but one way to find out, and that's take apart the door and inspect things.

If it's under warranty, then *after* you've inspected it and understand what the problem is, have a dealership fix it.

Also, pics of the windows, or shenanigans.

/Because it'd help us help you, really, not shenanigans.
Old 4/18/13, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm just finding it hard to believe that dirt got in there in the first place. Maybe it's still there but it should not be my fault. I've never had this issue with previous vehicles. Something is fishy.
Old 4/18/13, 08:06 PM

Scratches on driver's side/passanger side windows-image-1013563237.jpg

I thought it would be easier to see of it was at night with light behind it. Pic makes my window look really dirty...it's not. Upon further inspection, scratches are on the INSIDE. Very bizarre. Going in to dealership this weekend, I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 4/18/13, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by *MustangTherapy*

I thought it would be easier to see of it was at night with light behind it. Pic makes my window look really dirty...it's not. Upon further inspection, scratches are on the INSIDE. Very bizarre. Going in to dealership this weekend, I'll keep y'all posted.
Have you looked inside the door yet to see what's doing it?