Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

"Premium" interior rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/11, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Premium" interior rattles

Has anyone else experienced interior rattles with the Shaker sound systems? My GT Premium has the Shaker 500 and I've now got rattles in each door panel at 13,000 miles. I'm also hearing a high speed 'flapping' sound under the passengers side area that happens around 70 mph but that's been there since new.

Are dealers helpful at all in fixing rattles?

Car in question:

100 by raregreen91, on Flickr
Old 11/8/11, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That noise is that yellow screamin' at ya.....lol

Dealers are so-so on rattles. I normally try to pin down the location as close as I can to head them in the right direction. I also try to find out if pressure in certain areas around the rattle will change its tone. This all helps the dealer.
Old 11/8/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

This one always cracks me up. Put a big system in a car, listen to it loudly with the bass turned up...It's GOING to rattle. There's no way around that other than to turn down the bass and the level. The amount of air movement involved in bass production is substantial. Then enclose that air without it being able to escape. Something has to move, usually your door panels.
Old 11/8/11, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jlmounce
This one always cracks me up. Put a big system in a car, listen to it loudly with the bass turned up...It's GOING to rattle. There's no way around that other than to turn down the bass and the level. The amount of air movement involved in bass production is substantial. Then enclose that air without it being able to escape. Something has to move, usually your door panels.

I never have the bass up over halfway. Why would Ford engineer a sound system that causes the interior to shake apart? I never had this problem with other high line stereos.
Old 11/9/11, 07:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaYB
Has anyone else experienced interior rattles with the Shaker sound systems? My GT Premium has the Shaker 500 and I've now got rattles in each door panel at 13,000 miles. I'm also hearing a high speed 'flapping' sound under the passengers side area that happens around 70 mph but that's been there since new.
Welcome to the forum, TampaYB. My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I’d like to escalate this for you and help get it resolved for you. Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis and then, PM me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 11/10/11, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on the picture, the problem is OBVIOUS. Roads were much bumpier back in the early 80s when this picture was taken so driving on them has obviously caused the door panels to loosen.
Old 11/10/11, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybertx
Based on the picture, the problem is OBVIOUS. Roads were much bumpier back in the early 80s when this picture was taken so driving on them has obviously caused the door panels to loosen.
You mean that is a Mustang II?
Old 11/10/11, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Velcro is your friend, just the loop side in between panels works wonders! The flapping is probably the rocker, plastics are a bit loose and at highway speeds it gets going good.
Old 11/29/11, 02:46 PM

Turned out to be a loose window switch panel, Walker Ford was able to take care of it for me.