Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Power Steering Fluid Noise from Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/12, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Power Steering Fluid Noise from Dash

Now that it's a little colder, I'm noticing this noise more than in the past - I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid flowing but I've never driven a car where I could audibly hear it before. Nothing seems wrong with the car so maybe it's normal - anybody else noticed this sound?
Old 12/16/12, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Your car doesn't use power steering fluid. It has EPAS.

Last edited by TheReaper; 12/16/12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 05:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From Wikipedia:

Electric power steering (EPS or EPAS) uses an electric motor to assist the driver of a vehicle. Sensors detect the position and torque of the steering column, and a computer module applies assistive torque via the motor, which connects to either the steering gear or steering column. This allows varying amounts of assistance to be applied depending on driving conditions. Engineers can therefore tailor steering-gear response to variable-rate and variable-damping suspension systems, optimizing ride, handling, and steering for each vehicle. In the event of component failure that fails to provide assistance, a mechanical linkage such as a rack and pinion serves as a back-up in a manner similar to that of hydraulic systems.
Electric systems have an advantage in fuel efficiency because there is no belt-driven hydraulic pump constantly running, whether assistance is required or not, and this is a major reason for their introduction. Another major advantage is the elimination of a belt-driven engine accessory, and several high-pressure hydraulic hoses between the hydraulic pump, mounted on the engine, and the steering gear, mounted on the chassis. This greatly simplifies manufacturing and maintenance. By incorporating electronic stability control electric power steering systems can instantly vary torque assist levels to aid the driver in corrective maneuvers

Last edited by Bucko; 12/17/12 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12/17/12, 05:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Originally Posted by Bucko
That's what I thought....electronic power assist steering now. No more power steering pumps in the engine bay.
My brother-in-law has a car with EPAS, and it makes some noise when it's cold (below 30 degree),
Old 12/17/12, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Duh. I knew that but hearing the fluid near the steering wheel made me forget. So what the heck is this fluid noise then?
Old 12/17/12, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Duh. I knew that but hearing the fluid near the steering wheel made me forget. So what the heck is this fluid noise then?
I will be listening for this noise when the temperature drops.
Old 12/17/12, 08:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks man.
Old 12/17/12, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, it has been pretty cold here, but I have never noticed the noise you are describing. However, have you tried cycling the heater on and off to see if the noise changes or stops. It is possible you are hearing fluid running through the heat exchanger for the heater. Why you would hear it and no one else seems to hear it in their cars, I can't answer. But, each car is different and will have it's own little quirks, this may just be yours.
Old 12/18/12, 12:20 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it's been f'n cold here (snowing temp) and I don't hear nuthin but the 8 girls singing....

Old 12/18/12, 08:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dang, this is a weird one! It's going to the dealer on Thursday for an alignment and to take care of the 5K max oil life monitor TSB issue, so I'll ask them and let you guys know. It's gotta be something simple - everything on the car is working correctly.
Old 12/18/12, 09:18 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Now that it's a little colder, I'm noticing this noise more than in the past - I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid flowing but I've never driven a car where I could audibly hear it before. Nothing seems wrong with the car so maybe it's normal - anybody else noticed this sound?
Hey kylerohde,

I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Your service manager will be in the best position to assist you with this. Keep me posted on what happens.

Deysha
Old 12/21/12, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

I will be listening for this noise when the temperature drops.
It's 29 degrees this morning and no noise from the steering.
Old 12/23/12, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My Milan DD had the same issue. In this case it was coolant flowing in the heater core. There was some air in it.

Ford replaced the water pump. It stopped after that.

Not apples to apples but it may help.
Old 12/28/12, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
My Milan DD had the same issue. In this case it was coolant flowing in the heater core. There was some air in it.

Ford replaced the water pump. It stopped after that.

Not apples to apples but it may help.
Thanks man - the water pump has already been replaced in this car once under warranty, will ask the dealer about it next time I'm in there.
Old 12/28/12, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure to lift the hood and check your coolant level. However, since the cooling system has been serviced it's possible you have an air pocket trapped in the heater core, the best way to get rid of it would be by draining and refilling the system with an "airlift" or "radkit" which pulls a vacuum on the cooling system, then the cooling system will pull the coolant back into itself and eliminate air pockets