The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid Noise from Dash (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/power-steering-fluid-noise-dash-516714/)

kylerohde 12/16/12 10:09 PM

Power Steering Fluid Noise from Dash

Now that it's a little colder, I'm noticing this noise more than in the past - I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid flowing but I've never driven a car where I could audibly hear it before. Nothing seems wrong with the car so maybe it's normal - anybody else noticed this sound?

TheReaper 12/16/12 10:15 PM

Your car doesn't use power steering fluid. It has EPAS.

Bucko 12/17/12 05:45 AM

From Wikipedia:

Electric power steering (EPS or EPAS) uses an electric motor to assist the driver of a vehicle. Sensors detect the position and torque of the steering column, and a computer module applies assistive torque via the motor, which connects to either the steering gear or steering column. This allows varying amounts of assistance to be applied depending on driving conditions. Engineers can therefore tailor steering-gear response to variable-rate and variable-damping suspension systems, optimizing ride, handling, and steering for each vehicle. In the event of component failure that fails to provide assistance, a mechanical linkage such as a rack and pinion serves as a back-up in a manner similar to that of hydraulic systems.
Electric systems have an advantage in fuel efficiency because there is no belt-driven hydraulic pump constantly running, whether assistance is required or not, and this is a major reason for their introduction. Another major advantage is the elimination of a belt-driven engine accessory, and several high-pressure hydraulic hoses between the hydraulic pump, mounted on the engine, and the steering gear, mounted on the chassis. This greatly simplifies manufacturing and maintenance. By incorporating electronic stability control electric power steering systems can instantly vary torque assist levels to aid the driver in corrective maneuvers

shurtual86 12/17/12 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6512041)

Originally Posted by Bucko (Post 6512122)
That's what I thought....electronic power assist steering now. No more power steering pumps in the engine bay.

My brother-in-law has a car with EPAS, and it makes some noise when it's cold (below 30 degree),

kylerohde 12/17/12 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6512041)

:doh::doh::doh:

Duh. I knew that but hearing the fluid near the steering wheel made me forget. So what the heck is this fluid noise then?

TheReaper 12/17/12 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6512151)
:doh::doh::doh:

Duh. I knew that but hearing the fluid near the steering wheel made me forget. So what the heck is this fluid noise then?

I will be listening for this noise when the temperature drops.

kylerohde 12/17/12 08:37 PM

Thanks man.

SD CALSPCL 12/17/12 09:50 PM

Well, it has been pretty cold here, but I have never noticed the noise you are describing. However, have you tried cycling the heater on and off to see if the noise changes or stops. It is possible you are hearing fluid running through the heat exchanger for the heater. Why you would hear it and no one else seems to hear it in their cars, I can't answer. But, each car is different and will have it's own little quirks, this may just be yours.

Xar 12/18/12 12:20 AM

it's been f'n cold here (snowing temp) and I don't hear nuthin but the 8 girls singing....

:)

kylerohde 12/18/12 08:47 AM

Dang, this is a weird one! It's going to the dealer on Thursday for an alignment and to take care of the 5K max oil life monitor TSB issue, so I'll ask them and let you guys know. It's gotta be something simple - everything on the car is working correctly.

FordService 12/18/12 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6512039)
Now that it's a little colder, I'm noticing this noise more than in the past - I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid flowing but I've never driven a car where I could audibly hear it before. Nothing seems wrong with the car so maybe it's normal - anybody else noticed this sound?

Hey kylerohde,

I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Your service manager will be in the best position to assist you with this. Keep me posted on what happens.

Deysha

TheReaper 12/21/12 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6512323)
I will be listening for this noise when the temperature drops.

It's 29 degrees this morning and no noise from the steering.

825LTRGT 12/23/12 07:43 AM

My Milan DD had the same issue. In this case it was coolant flowing in the heater core. There was some air in it.

Ford replaced the water pump. It stopped after that.

Not apples to apples but it may help.

kylerohde 12/28/12 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT (Post 6515872)
My Milan DD had the same issue. In this case it was coolant flowing in the heater core. There was some air in it.

Ford replaced the water pump. It stopped after that.

Not apples to apples but it may help.

Thanks man - the water pump has already been replaced in this car once under warranty, will ask the dealer about it next time I'm in there.

B-Fox 12/28/12 09:24 PM

Make sure to lift the hood and check your coolant level. However, since the cooling system has been serviced it's possible you have an air pocket trapped in the heater core, the best way to get rid of it would be by draining and refilling the system with an "airlift" or "radkit" which pulls a vacuum on the cooling system, then the cooling system will pull the coolant back into itself and eliminate air pockets