Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

oil maintenance, 2014 5.0 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/16, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte

I say that if you care about your warranty, you use what the manufacturer recommends. If you don't care about the warranty or the car is out of warranty, use whatever makes you feel good.

I don't know why everyone thinks they know more than the manufacturer on what oil to run

joeywhat,
I'm not arguing about what oil to run because I have said what I run and don't plan on changing. I just think that 2011 Kona blue shouldn't be telling people that using 5W-30 will not void their warranty because he doesn't know that to be the case 100% of the time.
On the other hand people should not be saying that 5W30 weight will void the warranty. People don't know that. Its no different than people tuning a car. A warranty MAY OR COULD be voided. The answer is MAY or COULD void and not will or will not be.

You ask why everyone thinks they know more than the manufacturer of what oil to run. Perhaps thats because in Fords case they talk out of both sides of their mouths. Car A takes 50 weight. Car B takes 20 weight. Car A and B are the same car with the same identical engine specs and internals but we recommend different oil weights because:

Not to mention, why would people fully take Ford's recommendation as gospel? Why would I? Does Ford know my driving happits? Does Ford know how hard I run and beat on my mustang? Nope! Does Ford know what climate I or your living in when they make their recommendation of oil weight? Nope!

Fords recommendations are just that too me. A suggestion not the absolute holy end all. Ford recommends someone only needs to change there oil every 10k miles under normal driving operations. You think there are people who still change it every 3k regardless of Fords recommendation.

Ford recommends that I need to do a transmission flush at 150,000 miles, no need any eailer. Gonna do mine at 53k miles!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/30/16 at 06:20 PM.
Old 1/30/16, 10:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, why don't you call Ford and ask them about whether or not running 5W-30 in your car will void your engine warranty and get back to us on what they say.

You have already said you don't care about your warranty so you should run whatever oil makes you happy.

To be honest, I could care less about why Ford recommends two different viscosities for the same engine or what other people do with the car they spend their money on.

Wayne
Old 1/31/16, 04:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well, why don't you call Ford and ask them about whether or not running 5W-30 in your car will void your engine warranty and get back to us on what they say.

You have already said you don't care about your warranty so you should run whatever oil makes you happy.

To be honest, I could care less about why Ford recommends two different viscosities for the same engine or what other people do with the car they spend their money on.

Wayne
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/5w20-cafe.shtml

Just another good quick read! Not long at all. My warranty is up. My car is over 5 years old so the 3 year 36k warranty has been long gone. The 5 year, 60k powertrain warranty, gone.

But I've been using 5W 30 weight ever since she hit 5k miles. Then again I have been performance tuned since 5k miles so warranty coverage was never a huge concern of mine.

If my radio, power windows, or air conditioning broke, I was confident the warranty wouldn't be voided. As far as calling.warrantys is different dealerships will tell you different answers.

Funny you did mention this because my friends wife works for a Ford dealership and is the head of warranty claim approvals. I asked her about the 30 weight oil. Her answer was most likely not void the warranty because of 30 weight oil.

I'm sure different Ford reps will give different answers so its all good. Perhaps it is really up to each individual dealership on how much they want to fight it or just fix the issue under the warranty. Again that's why the real answer is that it may void the warranty, keyword may.

For people who want a 100% guarantee of warranty coverage, just have the Ford dealership change the oil and filter and done

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/31/16 at 05:50 AM.
Old 2/3/16, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, with my experience dealing with a minor warranty issue and it taking four months for it to get covered and that's with going to two different dealerships, dealing with the regional CS rep, and with Deysha on the forums, it is not worth it to me to deal with Ford on whether or not I'm using the correct oil if I have an engine claim.

Once I'm out of warranty, who knows. I don't at all think 5W-30 is going to hurt the engine but I also don't think it's going to increase engine life very much over 5W-20.

Wayne
Old 2/3/16, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well, with my experience dealing with a minor warranty issue and it taking four months for it to get covered and that's with going to two different dealerships, dealing with the regional CS rep, and with Deysha on the forums, it is not worth it to me to deal with Ford on whether or not I'm using the correct oil if I have an engine claim.

Once I'm out of warranty, who knows. I don't at all think 5W-30 is going to hurt the engine but I also don't think it's going to increase engine life very much over 5W-20.

Wayne
I understand that sir.