Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Oil Coming from Spark Plugs - Passanger Side

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/15, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Coming from Sensors? - Passanger Side

EDIT -

About a month ago I noticed a bit of oil around the 2 forward passenger side sensors. I don't know enough to know what these are. I had to take my car to the dealer for a water leak in the quarter panel and I told them to check this out. They said that the aftermarket oil separator on there (JLT) was the cause and so they removed it. I took another look today because I was checking my oil level and noticed what looks like even more oil coming out. This does not look good.

The oil pressure indicates "normal," there is no engine knock or tapping, and the car seems to be running fine. There are no apparent issues with acceleration.

Anyone experience this or have suggestions? I know that I need to take it in, but I am going way on business for a week and can't do anything until I get back.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Coming from Spark Plugs - Passanger Side-image_3.jpg   Oil Coming from Spark Plugs - Passanger Side-image_1.jpg  

Last edited by Last1; 2/8/15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2/8/15, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

My mistake - not spark plugs. The sensors near the Oil Cap...
Old 2/8/15, 12:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
My mistake - not spark plugs. The sensors near the Oil Cap...
Probably just some O-rings need to be replaced.

While the JLT has been reported to be too restrictive compared to other oil seps, I doubt it is the cause of this minor oil leak. Unless it was somehow completely plugged. (Can you blow through the oil sep and hoses?)

The path of least resistance would force flow through the JLT or the 'inlet' side (driver on 5.0) of the breather circuit before forcing oil past O-rings IMO. I think the Dealer is full of beans.

PS: Sure this wasn't from some oil spilled out the oil filler tube at your last oil change that wasn't completely wiped off? Is the cap tight?

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/8/15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2/8/15, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Probably just some O-rings need to be replaced. While the JLT has been reported to be too restrictive compared to other oil seps, I doubt it is the cause of this minor oil leak. Unless it was somehow completely plugged. (Can you blow through the oil sep and hoses?) The path of least resistance would force flow through the JLT or the 'inlet' side (driver on 5.0) of the breather circuit before forcing oil past O-rings IMO. I think the Dealer is full of beans. PS: Sure this wasn't from some oil spilled out the oil filler tube at your last oil change that wasn't completely wiped off? Is the cap tight?
It does look like a spill. The only way is to completely clean it and see where it comes from.
Old 2/8/15, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info guys. It is quite possible that it's a spill from the last oil change. Yes, and I agree that the dealer is full of beans :] I didn't buy that either. What exactly are those 2 plugs? Any recommendations on how to clean that off/what to use? thanks
Old 2/8/15, 02:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They are the solenoids for the variable cam timing.

Some would probably say use some Simple Green. Me? I'd splash a little gasoline on a rag.
Old 2/8/15, 02:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Smile

Id guess those two plugs are to cam sensors. Not sure though.

Edit: someone beat me to it
Old 2/17/15, 06:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clean it off and watch that area again,without adding any oil.
Old 2/12/16, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Reviving this thread. I sort of forgot about this for a while figuring it was a spill from an oil change. However, both of these seals are still leaking slowly. Anyone know the cause? It's worrying me a bit. I am going to have Ford look at it when I go in for my next oil change. Thanks