Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My 2014 lemon of a GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/13, 12:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the battery thing is random and remains unexplained. Mine is stored during the winter in my garage during sub-zero temps. I can go 6 weeks and it will start fine. 8 weeks seems to be the limit as I had to charge it once. It has active alarm, but I don't lock it in the garage so its not active. Battery is now 5 1/2 yrs old, 22k, still starting fine.
Old 8/10/13, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
Lemon law is for cars that have major issues. Not a sound you do not like. Major means it stops you from using the car. A machine will make sounds. A large steering system like the mustangs will make sound when you are not moving.

A clunk at low speeds doesn't sound like its stopping you from buying tampons at the market.

You hit the nail on the head.
Old 8/10/13, 12:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah the battery thing is random and remains unexplained. Mine is stored during the winter in my garage during sub-zero temps. I can go 6 weeks and it will start fine. 8 weeks seems to be the limit as I had to charge it once. It has active alarm, but I don't lock it in the garage so its not active. Battery is now 5 1/2 yrs old, 22k, still starting fine.
You sure got that right ! As it most definitely remains unexplained and as I mentioned earlier, if whenever my car sits for more than 10 day periods, I'll put the tender charger back on whether it's during sub-zero temps or even during the summer months as well..

As I also do not drive my car in rainy/bad weather conditions, which is why my car is sometimes not in use for up to 10 day periods..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/10/13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper

You hit the nail on the head.
Ahh be careful guys, a tough guy entered the thread

In other news, I feel bad for you OP. I just bought a 2014 back in May and I have yet to encounter any issues with it. I'd be pissed if I had 1, let alone 3. I understand there are manufacturing errors and such, it'd just be depressing though having an issue so early on.

Last edited by Dhawk1313; 8/10/13 at 12:57 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 01:04 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson68944

We got off wrong. I'm just worked up because I had just gotten it back earlier today still busted up. I know you guys aren't trying to be malicious but sometimes it hard to translate demeanor through the web.
I agree. I'd be frustrated too. Yeah, stuff just doesn't come across the same as when you're bull****ting face to face with people. Body language and facial expressions add a lot to a conversation.

Do you know a good lake?

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Adrian ! You could very well be right about there being a bad batch of batteries but if there are so many bad batches floating around ? Then it's obviously far more than just a fluke, as it appears to be more of a manufacturing/quality issue in which Ford should be correcting right or wrong ?

At any rate, my car is not a daily driver and not driven every day but that should have nothing to with the batteries discharging just from not being driven or ran for only 10 days when not in use..

You can also do a search on this forum and you'll see just how many threads have been posted over the last 8 years about how many S-197 owners have experienced their batteries crap out on them and have gone through the exact same issues as I have..

Then you'll discover for yourself, this is far from just being what you consider as a fluke !

Could be, I've seen all the threads about the batteries, I was just posting from personal experience with the ones I've had. Maybe they just use a ****tily manufactured battery to save a few bucks. I've also wondered if the battery they're using is just too small for these cars with all the electronic stuff they have on them these days. I leave my '70 sitting for months and months and it lights right up every time I go to crank it.
Old 8/10/13, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I agree. I'd be frustrated too. Yeah, stuff just doesn't come across the same as when you're bull****ting face to face with people. Body language and facial expressions add a lot to a conversation.

Could be, I've seen all the threads about the batteries, I was just posting from personal experience with the ones I've had. Maybe they just use a ****tily manufactured battery to save a few bucks. I've also wondered if the battery they're using is just too small for these cars with all the electronic stuff they have on them these days. I leave my '70 sitting for months and months and it lights right up every time I go to crank it.
I couldn't agree more as I definitely feel it has everything to do with all the electronics they have along with the batteries just not having enough cranking amps to keep up with them..

I was actually able to leave my previous 93 SVT Cobra sit for months and never had any problems at all..
Old 8/10/13, 02:31 PM
GT Member

I've also wondered if the battery they're using is just too small for these cars with all the electronic stuff they have on them these days. I leave my '70 sitting for months and months and it lights right up every time I go to crank it.
Ding, ding, freaking DING!!!

We have a winner.

As I become better off, financially, the more I am looking at buying ONLY vintage Mustangs for my DD. For the cost of something new, I can get one H*LL of a nice 1968 Fastback, for instance. No depreciation, and I can troubleshoot and fix anything on it myself.
Old 8/10/13, 02:41 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My fiesta had a optima yellow top and it helped the little car out. I had a red top in my vert and it started better every time.

Last edited by Flagstang; 8/10/13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
My cars are my DD as well. I was trying to get you to see that you were over reacting.

my claim.. 57 days in the shop.. 2 rear end,3 fuel pumps, 1 fuel tank, 4 fuel sending units, 1 alternator, 3 wheel bearings, 1 convertible top, 1 window motor, 2 shaker 500 6 disc changers, 1 law firm, 1 meeting with the bbb and 11 months and I got everything handled.

I also was left on the road twice in 110 degree phoenix summer heat for 3 plus hours each time. I also drove from flagstaff to phoenix to get the work done for 90% of the repairs. I think I made 17 trips to the valley which are 130 miles each way.
Yeah, it surprises me that Ford takes it so far before finally giving in. After all those problems you had I can't believe you still had to litigate. I know Ford is a massive company but it still seems a waste of resources to fight it and go ahead with litigation before finally buying it back. More surprising is that you stayed a loyal customer !
Old 8/10/13, 06:43 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm still on my OEM battery on my 2004 Mach with 31K miles and it sits in the winter (garage). Never even had terminals off or a tender. I'd say it doesn't have much longer . . . but I said that 4 years ago as well!
Old 8/10/13, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
I'm still on my OEM battery on my 2004 Mach with 31K miles and it sits in the winter (garage). Never even had terminals off or a tender. I'd say it doesn't have much longer . . . but I said that 4 years ago as well!
Fortunately the 2004's and below didn't have these battery related issues, it's the 2005's and up only..

Your battery may not have much longer, but for an OEM battery that's over 9 years old I'd say it's had a very long life expectancy and has served you well

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/10/13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 8/10/13, 10:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

So back to topic Wilson, what is the exact problem with your steering? Just the clunk sound in the vid or is there something else going on? Have you gotten under it and listened and felt of different components while someone turned the wheel to see where its coming from?
Old 8/10/13, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Isn't there a little cam or some device that interacts with the turn signal to cancel it when the steering wheel is turned, I would look there based on the tic in the vid?

New batteries are a bit of a gamble. I had two different motorcycles that needed batteries. Bought a reputable brand and it took two to three "new" batteries to finally have one that did not fail in less than 2 weeks. Quality control in some of the places of battery manufacture could use some stepping up.
Old 8/10/13, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by miner999r
Isn't there a little cam or some device that interacts with the turn signal to cancel it when the steering wheel is turned, I would look there based on the tic in the vid?

New batteries are a bit of a gamble. I had two different motorcycles that needed batteries. Bought a reputable brand and it took two to three "new" batteries to finally have one that did not fail in less than 2 weeks. Quality control in some of the places of battery manufacture could use some stepping up.
I totally agree with you, as it took 3 batteries and so far my third hasn't failed within 10 days yet, but then again I have it on the battery tender if it's beyond the 10 day period.. So I don't know what would happen after two weeks without using the battery tender..
Old 8/10/13, 11:08 PM
GT Member

Law suits are horrible. I had a water feature in my Jeep. I know a law firm not to use
Old 8/10/13, 11:15 PM

And I don't ever want to find out either Dan

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/10/13 at 11:16 PM.
Old 8/11/13, 01:35 AM
GT Member

So back to topic Wilson, what is the exact problem with your steering? Just the clunk sound in the vid or is there something else going on? Have you gotten under it and listened and felt of different components while someone turned the wheel to see where its coming from?
RBB, when I make slight turns at low speeds, say 10mph or slower, is when it really acts up. For example, when I turn in and out of various parking spots it clunks/pops. I can also feel a popping sensation through the wheel. Secondly, on occasion when I cut the wheel all the way the wheel/rack clanks. This doesn't happen every time but I'd say 6/10 times. When it clunks I can feel it through the floor boards which almost has me convinced it's underneath rather than in the column.

No. I haven't gotten under it myself. I've thought about it. Maybe bring it to my buddy's shop to diagnose it. However, I find that the dealer wouldn't take your word for it anyway. It's almost as if unless they hear it or see it themselves it didn't happen.

I do have to admit that I'm not very useful as far as car mechanics go . I'd like to learn and I've been soaking up so much ever since I got into Mustangs and cars of all sorts.

People tell me they can hear it from outside when pulling out of the driveway and such. I've also noticed that on occasion it makes a faint sound when going over speed bumps.

Edit: I should also note that the steering makes a faint gurgle sound when I turn the wheel and hold it, even though it's electric. It seems that the pop sometimes comes from when I release the wheel rather than when I turn into it.

Last edited by wilson68944; 8/11/13 at 01:44 AM.
Old 8/11/13, 01:46 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

RBB, when I make slight turns at low speeds, say 10mph or slower, is when it really acts up. For example, when I turn in and out of various parking spots it clunks/pops. I can also feel a popping sensation through the wheel. Secondly, on occasion when I cut the wheel all the way the wheel/rack clanks. This doesn't happen every time but I'd say 6/10 times. When I it clunks I can feel it through the floor boards which almost has me convinced it's underneath rather than in the column.

No. I haven't gotten under it myself. I've thought about it. Maybe bring it to my buddy's shop to diagnose it. However, I find that the dealer wouldn't take your word for it anyway. It's almost as if unless they hear it or see it themselves it didn't happen.

I do have to admit that I'm not very useful as far as car mechanics go . I'd like to learn and I've been soaking up so much ever since I got into Mustangs and cars of all sorts.

People tell me they can hear it from outside when pulling out of the driveway and such. I've also noticed that on occasion it makes a faint sound when going over speed bumps.
Only odd thing I've noticed with the EPAS on my GT500 (first one I've had with the EPAS) is when I back out of the garage. My garage where it stays is elevated quite a bit and it transitions down a concrete ramp to the driveway. There is about a 1/2" transition where the garage concrete meets the driveway and you're turning right where they meet. When I'm backing out and the front end goes over that transition with the wheels turned, it kind of jerks and feels really weird. After that I don't notice anything different. Just that first turn and transition after its fired up and backed out over that spot with the wheels turned.
Old 8/11/13, 08:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

RBB, when I make slight turns at low speeds, say 10mph or slower, is when it really acts up. For example, when I turn in and out of various parking spots it clunks/pops. I can also feel a popping sensation through the wheel. Secondly, on occasion when I cut the wheel all the way the wheel/rack clanks. This doesn't happen every time but I'd say 6/10 times. When it clunks I can feel it through the floor boards which almost has me convinced it's underneath rather than in the column.

Edit: I should also note that the steering makes a faint gurgle sound when I turn the wheel and hold it, even though it's electric. It seems that the pop sometimes comes from when I release the wheel rather than when I turn into it.
Ughh clock spring?

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/11/13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 8/11/13, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I totally agree with you, as it took 3 batteries and so far my third hasn't failed within 10 days yet, but then again I have it on the battery tender if it's beyond the 10 day period.. So I don't know what would happen after two weeks without using the battery tender..
Actually for lead acid batts it is really a good idea to keep them on a tender if you are going to have the vehicle sit for that long or longer. It slows or prevents sulphate formation in the battery which is what kills them most of the time.

Quick Reply: My 2014 lemon of a GT