Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My 2014 lemon of a GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/13, 12:13 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson68944
What is your problem, man? I was showing my appreciation for their advice. I never initiated lemon law talks myself. You know this but are trying to play semantics games.
I have no problem that I know of, I was just going by what you posted.

What do you get out of minimizing my car trouble? What is it to you? What is up with you and your buddy Jeremy trying to diminish and aggravate people who are upset over defects with the 2nd biggest investment a person makes in life?
I get nothing out of it.

Its nothing to me. I honestly don't give an aerial intercourse about you or your car.

I have no idea who Jeremy is, and I wasn't trying to diminish or aggravate anyone, I was just replying to something you posted on the World Wide Web (aka, for the whole world to see and reply to).
Old 8/10/13, 12:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooo you're edgy. ^
Old 8/10/13, 12:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I just hope you take advantage of it, because I sure in the hell wouldn't let any dealership walk all over me like that, especially after paying over 30k for a Lemon which is total
I know, you're right! I did kind of lose it on the service advisor today. They were understanding and said they'd be just as mad. I said I appreciate their sympathy but I just want it fixed. I now have another appt Monday.

I want them to let me get in the car on the lift so I can duplicate it while they listen but I know because of liability it will never happen. As ridiculous as it seems they seem to not be able to duplicate it well on the lift to to trace it which is hard to imagine.

At some point I'd expect them just to replace the whole EPS. I've noticed this is a problem with other Ford products with the new Electric Power Steering.

I am located in Philadelphia. The other big city!

I just need to be more forceful with the guys. When I think of what I've spent and the product I've received it certainly does get my blood boiling.
Old 8/10/13, 01:41 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't drag about my awful car buying habit. I was trying to male the point that it will be hard to lemon law a car that hasn't broke down.. I had to lemon law a mustang in 2007 and I know all about it. I just find it a little silly to go over board about a little thing lime that.

Also... Be nice to the dealer guys. They are on your side. They want the warranty work. That's how the make most of the dealerships income. They would love to say yes sure thing sir to every person that came into the dealer. I'm sure it sucks for them to not make any money and get yelled at. Have to sat in a different mustang on the lot and seen if it made the same noise? It could be normal operation.
Old 8/10/13, 01:56 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
I know, you're right! I did kind of lose it on the service advisor today. They were understanding and said they'd be just as mad. I said I appreciate their sympathy but I just want it fixed. I now have another appt Monday.

I want them to let me get in the car on the lift so I can duplicate it while they listen but I know because of liability it will never happen. As ridiculous as it seems they seem to not be able to duplicate it well on the lift to to trace it which is hard to imagine.

At some point I'd expect them just to replace the whole EPS. I've noticed this is a problem with other Ford products with the new Electric Power Steering.

I am located in Philadelphia. The other big city!

I just need to be more forceful with the guys. When I think of what I've spent and the product I've received it certainly does get my blood boiling.
I know exactly what your going through from personal experience.. Within the first 6 months, I took my car back to the dealership over the batteries being completely drained from just sitting 10 days without being started..

The service adviser claimed it was due to the active security system which supposedly is always drawing current and is completely normal for a battery to completely discharge if it sits long enough without being driven in order to keep the battery fully charged by the alternator and was then informed to run a tender charger on it whenever the car is not in use..

Now I can totally understand this if the car isn't in use during the winter or while in storage for 30 days or longer, but after just 10 days ? That is completely unacceptable for a brand new car in which I paid 27k for back in 2005..

So the dealership replaced the battery and everything seemed to go fine until the second battery died and the next excuse I got was I wasn't driving my car long enough to fully re-charge the battery because once again my car was not in use long enough..

So after requesting to speak to the service manager, the dealership made arrangements to have a field service engineer brought in to have my car's electrical system tested in order to determine if there were any abnormal voltage issues involved and after all the tests were completed, I was informed that all the diagnostic test results they performed couldn't find anything wrong with my electrical system..

So It was then suggested by the service manager to not use the key fob when locking the doors whenever the car is not in use which supposedly will not activate the active security system and was also informed that both my batteries could've just had a bad cell as well..

Needless to say, I am now on my third battery in 8 years and have been using a tender charger whenever the car sits for 10 days or longer and also do not lock my doors with the key fob while it sits in my garage during storage
Old 8/10/13, 02:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I don't drag about my awful car buying habit. I was trying to male the point that it will be hard to lemon law a car that hasn't broke down.. I had to lemon law a mustang in 2007 and I know all about it. I just find it a little silly to go over board about a little thing lime that.

Also... Be nice to the dealer guys. They are on your side. They want the warranty work. That's how the make most of the dealerships income. They would love to say yes sure thing sir to every person that came into the dealer. I'm sure it sucks for them to not make any money and get yelled at. Have to sat in a different mustang on the lot and seen if it made the same noise? It could be normal operation.
Maybe I took your humor the wrong way. I'm just high strung right now. This is my DD and although it isn't impeding my ability to drive I am aggravated every time I feel and hear it and I don't feel safe and solid while taking hard turns. I appreciate the advice and I won't be disrespectful to these guys as they are just trying to earn a living.

What happened and what was the result of your '07 claim?
Old 8/10/13, 02:13 AM
GT Member

Fastback- I can't believe you've had to do that these past 6 years. That would drive me mad and have driven me to trade that in long ago.

Clearly, there is something malfunctioning and therefore causing an excessive drain. The fact you leave your Mustang sitting for 10 days is far from abnormal especially a secondary weekend/summer car. I leave my car sitting 4 days straight and it's my daily driver. Hence why I only have 2,000 miles in 4 months.

Thanks for all your tips and it puts it into perspective for me that I'm not the only guy on the planet with a defective 'Stang.

Why have you kept it so long? You must be a patient guy because that would have been enough for me to wash my hands of it.

I love our cars but this has hampered my love for it. Also, how about every time you being it in you always get it back with scuffs and grease marks etc.
Old 8/10/13, 02:25 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Fastback- I can't believe you've had to do that these past 6 years. That would drive me mad and have driven me to trade that in long ago.

Clearly, there is something malfunctioning and therefore causing an excessive drain. The fact you leave your Mustang sitting for 10 days is far from abnormal especially a secondary weekend/summer car. I leave my car sitting 4 days straight and it's my daily driver. Hence why I only have 2,000 miles in 4 months.

Thanks for all your tips and it puts it into perspective for me that I'm not the only guy on the planet with a defective 'Stang.

Why have you kept it so long? You must be a patient guy because that would have been enough for me to wash my hands of it.

I love our cars but this has hampered my love for it. Also, how about every time you being it in you always get it back with scuffs and grease marks etc.
I think the battery thing is a fluke or a bad batch type thing. I've had 3 S-197 cars that were nothing but fair weather toys, were never on any kind of charger and never had a problem with any of them. Had an '08 GT/CS for 6 months, only drove it a 1500 miles and never had a problem. Bought an '08 Shelby that I only put 9K miles on in 3 years and never had a battery problem, and also have an '11 Shelby that I've had for over 2 years, only put 6K miles on it so far and never had a battery problem. They sat for weeks at a time depending on the weather, but maybe its because of the mild weather down here that helped the batteries to not crap the bed like they would in extreme cold places.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 8/10/13 at 02:28 AM.
Old 8/10/13, 03:23 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Maybe I took your humor the wrong way. I'm just high strung right now. This is my DD and although it isn't impeding my ability to drive I am aggravated every time I feel and hear it and I don't feel safe and solid while taking hard turns. I appreciate the advice and I won't be disrespectful to these guys as they are just trying to earn a living.

What happened and what was the result of your '07 claim?
My cars are my DD as well. I was trying to get you to see that you were over reacting.

my claim.. 57 days in the shop.. 2 rear end,3 fuel pumps, 1 fuel tank, 4 fuel sending units, 1 alternator, 3 wheel bearings, 1 convertible top, 1 window motor, 2 shaker 500 6 disc changers, 1 law firm, 1 meeting with the bbb and 11 months and I got everything handled.

I also was left on the road twice in 110 degree phoenix summer heat for 3 plus hours each time. I also drove from flagstaff to phoenix to get the work done for 90% of the repairs. I think I made 17 trips to the valley which are 130 miles each way.
Old 8/10/13, 03:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I think the battery thing is a fluke or a bad batch type thing. I've had 3 S-197 cars that were nothing but fair weather toys, were never on any kind of charger and never had a problem with any of them. Had an '08 GT/CS for 6 months, only drove it a 1500 miles and never had a problem. Bought an '08 Shelby that I only put 9K miles on in 3 years and never had a battery problem, and also have an '11 Shelby that I've had for over 2 years, only put 6K miles on it so far and never had a battery problem. They sat for weeks at a time depending on the weather, but maybe its because of the mild weather down here that helped the batteries to not crap the bed like they would in extreme cold places.

It's possible. Like they say-there are 50 parts just to roll a window. I'm only in my 20s but I hope to have one as a toy in the future. If I could I'd have a new style charger RT as my DD and the GT as my weekend car. It is not fun sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the AM with a manual. Plus, you can't beat the value you get in those Chargers.

I love this car so much and once this gets resolved I will be completely satisfied. I keep telling myself maybe it's not that bad and I can live with it until I get in the car and it sends me through the roof again.

We got off wrong. I'm just worked up because I had just gotten it back earlier today still busted up. I know you guys aren't trying to be malicious but sometimes it hard to translate demeanor through the web.

Do you know a good lake?
Old 8/10/13, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...At some point I'd expect them just to replace the whole EPS. I've noticed this is a problem with other Ford products with the new Electric Power Steering.
Do they have the bugs worked out of the Sync/MFT yet? NO. And you can bet your donkey they're sick of hearing about problems with that.

We have a periodic clunk in the steering on my wife's '13 Escape also. Not anything near all the time, but often enough that it's not a surprise anymore... but I know from experience not to let them have it for three days just to tell me they can't duplicate the problem. If it BREAKS, we'll take it in and drive the rental Focus for however long it takes... like we have either three or four times now for other problems with it.

Problems with the '10 Taurus and '13 Escape have officially broken me of buying ANY first model year issue in the future... but Ford service is what pretty much ensured the Escape will be the last new Ford in our garage.
Old 8/10/13, 07:58 AM

We used Kimmell and Silverman twice, once for a Volvo XC-90 and an Audi Q7 both with significant electrical problems. In both cases the manufacturers bought the cars back. We are from Philadelphia
Old 8/10/13, 08:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

I know exactly what your going through from personal experience.. Within the first 6 months, I took my car back to the dealership over the batteries being completely drained from just sitting 10 days without being started..

The service adviser claimed it was due to the active security system which supposedly is always drawing current and is completely normal for a battery to completely discharge if it sits long enough without being driven in order to keep the battery fully charged by the alternator and was then informed to run a tender charger on it whenever the car is not in use..

Now I can totally understand this if the car isn't in use during the winter or while in storage for 30 days or longer, but after just 10 days ? That is completely unacceptable for a brand new car in which I paid 27k for back in 2005..

So the dealership replaced the battery and everything seemed to go fine until the second battery died and the next excuse I got was I wasn't driving my car long enough to fully re-charge the battery because once again my car was not in use long enough..

So after requesting to speak to the service manager, the dealership made arrangements to have a field service engineer brought in to have my car's electrical system tested in order to determine if there were any abnormal voltage issues involved and after all the tests were completed, I was informed that all the diagnostic test results they performed couldn't find anything wrong with my electrical system..

So It was then suggested by the service manager to not use the key fob when locking the doors whenever the car is not in use which supposedly will not activate the active security system and was also informed that both my batteries could've just had a bad cell as well..

Needless to say, I am now on my third battery in 8 years and have been using a tender charger whenever the car sits for 10 days or longer and also do not lock my doors with the key fob while it sits in my garage during storage
That is just sad. My old 2000 would sit for a month sometimes and never failed to crank. Your car clearly has electrical issues. I'm surprised these issues have not gotten worse.
Old 8/10/13, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say really admire the patience, dedication and tolerance at lot of you guys have to put up with recurring car problems. If it was me I would have got rid of the car long time a go and bought something else.
Old 8/10/13, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

You do not need an attorney to pursue the remedies prescribed in your state's lemon laws.
Ford is usually very accommodating once you start the procedure with the hopes of keeping you as a customer for the future.

Last edited by tstrick9; 8/10/13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 8/10/13, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually had my 1995 Ford Probe bought back under the lemon law. I replaced it with my first Mustang '97 GT.
Old 8/10/13, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dont let them off the hook Wilson. If 5 percent of the people were persistent with problems with products they would either shape up or go out of business. I have no sympathy for Ford or anybody else in cases like this because there is no excuse for it.
Old 8/10/13, 11:39 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 3Mach1
Dont let them off the hook Wilson. If 5 percent of the people were persistent with problems with products they would either shape up or go out of business. I have no sympathy for Ford or anybody else in cases like this because there is no excuse for it.
its all part of mass manufacturing. Not 100% of anything is perfect. All auto makers have the same issues or worse. I just think a few people( not OP) need to understand things and get down off the soapbox/cross.
Old 8/10/13, 11:57 AM

Well the reason for my patience and for keeping the car so long is.. I didn't have to pay for anything, as everything was covered under warranty including the diagnostic testing and both battery replacements..

As for any excessive drain issues ? The diagnostic testing that was done did not find any abnormal voltage or drain problems and supposedly everything was within normal factory specs..

I also took my car to an independent shop to get a second opinion and their test results were the same as the dealership's..

At any rate, I haven't experienced any problems with this 3rd battery in just over a year now.. So will see what happens down the road
Old 8/10/13, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Adrian ! You could very well be right about there being a bad batch of batteries but if there are so many bad batches floating around ? Then it's obviously far more than just a fluke, as it appears to be more of a manufacturing/quality issue in which Ford should be addressing right or wrong ?

At any rate, my car is not a daily driver and not driven every day but that should have nothing to with the batteries discharging just from not being driven or ran for only 10 days when not in use..

You can also do a search on this forum and you'll see just how many threads have been posted over the last 8 years about how many S-197 owners have experienced their batteries crap out on them and have gone through the exact same issues as I have..

Then you'll discover for yourself, this is far from just being what you consider as a fluke !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/10/13 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2014 lemon of a GT