Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/11, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bones302
Painting the entire hood is the only RIGHT way to do it. Grabber Blue may or may not be hard to match, but chances are better it will match by painting the entire hood rather than trying to spot match. I would have been pissed if it were the other way around and Ford only wanted to spot repair the hood. You should be happy.
I know its working out better then some on here (which I feel really bad for) who would kill for a repaint, but I am really worried about it. When it comes to my cars paint I am ****, like "worst customer a paint shop could have". There is nothing I can't see or wont find and I have seen way too many auto body's pass off their work as high quality when I can paint better then they can. I have seen so many shoddy paint jobs with "spider webbing" in the clear, blotchy spray jobs, and all sorts of other nonsense. It really sucks because my hood is perfect otherwise. Also keep in mind that this is under the hood not on top of it, so its not like its right on tops of the car. I want it fixed because of what has happened to others in this thread down the line.

EDIT:
Called the shop they want to use and the owner is going to meet me at the dealer to inspect the paint bubble and tell me what he thinks they will need to do to fix it.

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 7/14/11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 7/14/11, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

OK just wanted to say that the autobody owner that I spoke with yesterday said the hood is toast. The issues with the hood are too close to the hard edge line for them to properly fix it without messing up the hood line. So now I need a new hood + paint job. Deysha I sent you a PM, may need your help with this after all.
Old 7/15/11, 09:16 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
OK just wanted to say that the autobody owner that I spoke with yesterday said the hood is toast. The issues with the hood are too close to the hard edge line for them to properly fix it without messing up the hood line. So now I need a new hood + paint job. Deysha I sent you a PM, may need your help with this after all.
No problem vistablue mustang! I’ll get back to you in a little while.

Deysha
Old 7/16/11, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
No problem MustangLynda. I sent you a reply today.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha!!

And thank you Ford for coming through with excellent customer care

As for my dealer, well, they are so FIRED
Old 7/16/11, 08:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Thank you Deysha!!

And thank you Ford for coming through with excellent customer care

As for my dealer, well, they are so FIRED
Ford doesn't come through for everyone on this hood corrosion issue.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 7/16/11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 7/20/11, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Deysha I sent you a PM with my VIN let me know that you got it and how to go forward from here

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Ford doesn't come through for everyone on this hood corrosion issue.
Too true and that is unacceptable, my only advice for those casually browsing this is check early and often. Every new mustang owner should check for this at vehicle pickup.

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 7/20/11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 7/21/11, 02:33 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Deysha I sent you a PM with my VIN let me know that you got it and how to go forward from here

Too true and that is unacceptable, my only advice for those casually browsing this is check early and often. Every new mustang owner should check for this at vehicle pickup.
I got it, thanks! I sent you a reply today.

Deysha
Old 7/25/11, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I picked up my 2012 Boss 302 late at night on Mar 29th. Next morning I noticed bubbles under the paint on the rear deck lid lower edge. Took it to the dealer and they removed the bubbles and repainted the area. Looks good right now. I don't know what metals are used for the hood/ rear deck lid construction but the bubbling problems sound like a "dissimilar metal' corrosion issue. If aluminum and steel are in contact around the perimeter of the hood/deck lid there will definitely be what's called "galvanic" corrosion if moisture is introduced. Basically, the two different metals can set up a battery cell condition and start eating at the softest metal first. Exact same thing happened to patio storm doors on my home when the lower edge of the aluminum door was capped in a steel sill plate scraper. Took two years but the door started to corrode away very rapidly. I sent pics and my ideas on the problem to the manufacturer and they shipped me all new doors and components that were made of the same material. No further problems for the last 12 years. BTW, I was the corrosion control engineer/officer for a carrier based fighter squadron back in the early 70's. Just my opinion on this issue and maybe it will help solve the problems for the future.

Last edited by phytrpilot; 7/25/11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 8/1/11, 06:12 AM

I just got back from a 2800 mile road trip to Key West and back, the size of the bubble on the front lip of the hood doubled in size in just a couple weeks, will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow to be stripped and repainted, my car has 63K miles on it now so paying half ($200) to fix the hood isn't that bad of a deal.
Old 8/9/11, 03:34 PM

if you guys are having hood corrosion issues, it might be caused by metal that's contaminated before it's painted... there's more info here about the issue: http://www.wexlerwallace.com/investi...investigation/ hope this helps!
Old 8/9/11, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Oho. Intersesting. Check it:

http://www.google.com/search?sclient...31293566093510

Mustang isn't the only one... Thanks Jay. I had no idea.

/didn't look at it, so I didn't know.
//That... sucks.
///kinda wondering if Jay isn't a spammer for the law firm, but hey, I'm ok with it JUST THIS ONCE.
Old 8/9/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jay88
if you guys are having hood corrosion issues, it might be caused by metal that's contaminated before it's painted... there's more info here about the issue: http://www.wexlerwallace.com/investi...investigation/ hope this helps!
Exactly the problem I had. Got tired of it being bubbled and had it painted out of pocket, within 6 months it's already got a spot forming

The good news is that it's so common you don't have to be embarressed
Old 8/12/11, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Exactly the problem I had. Got tired of it being bubbled and had it painted out of pocket, within 6 months it's already got a spot forming

The good news is that it's so common you don't have to be embarressed
Well that blows, thats why i took it to the dealer. There is no way I was paying out of pocket and end up having something like this happen. They should just go with an all aluminum construction for the hood or change out the unlike metals for a plastic. When I was talking to my service manager he told me this is an issue on a lot of cars.
Old 9/5/11, 11:02 PM

Just got my '12 GT on Thursday, 9/1, and noticed a similar problem on the under edge of my hood toward the front.

I was told that the problem was not rust but was a sloppy weld.

I did find similar areas on the under side of the trunk lid along with an area that was actually scratched down to the metal.

Notified the dealer two hours after taking delivery after finding the trunk lid damage.

If it's just cosmetic, don't know if I want them grinding on the original finish.

Also Grabber Blue btw

Opinions? Thanks!

Last edited by Newstangowner; 9/5/11 at 11:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 9/6/11, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Underside of hood right?

80 grit + Rust reformer + paint = problem gone.

I did this on my '08 last year and it has not come back yet. And I brushed the paint on.

It's not "Show quality" but the bubbling is gone and the dealer didn't screw up the top of the hood that everyone sees.