Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Front hood paint issues.

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/14, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Front hood paint issues.

Here are a few pictures I took the other day on the paint issues on the underside of the front hood and one on the inside front fender. These were all denied by Ford. They said that something was spilled on the fender causing the paint issue and then denied everything. I never spilled anything on it and it was like that from the beginning.
Name:  003_zpsaa84664c.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  002_zps4c5da335.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  004_zps3e05b5cd.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  84.0 KB
Name:  001_zps13e820b6.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  005_zpsa6b33bff.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  121.5 KB

What do you guys think? Paint bubbling or something else?
Old 9/26/14, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wayne,

It looks like your paint is beginning to bubble. I'm certain this will get worse. The underside of my hood just got painted and the seam is smooth and flawless. I can't believe Ford would deny this. It's ridiculous, especially since they are aware of the problem!
Old 9/26/14, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

The bad thing is that I just had this same issue fixed on the underside of my trunk lid which was not as bad as this and Ford did fix it under warranty. The day I took my car in to get the trunk lid fixed was the day I showed the SA the hood and he took pictures and submitted them to see if I could get both fixed at the same time. I don't understand the thinking here. Maybe the pictures the SA took weren't clear. I think they just looked at the fender and assumed that I somehow damaged it and everything. That was the same mind set I dealt with on the Radio screen.

Now if I do somehow get this fixed under warranty, I have to take the car in again and be without it for a few days. This kind of BS pisses me off.

Wayne
Old 9/27/14, 04:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible that the SA's pictures were not good enough. These bubbles are not easy to get good clear pictures with the small regular digital cameras found in dealership. Maybe you share the pictures in this post with SA, things might change. Or you can wait a little longer let the issue get worse then it should be done properly. You have enough warranty left anyway.
Old 9/27/14, 06:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Here are a few pictures I took the other day on the paint issues on the underside of the front hood and one on the inside front fender. These were all denied by Ford. They said that something was spilled on the fender causing the paint issue and then denied everything. I never spilled anything on it and it was like that from the beginning.

What do you guys think? Paint bubbling or something else?
that is absolute bull****. I took pics of the exact same type paint flaws at the 2014 Cleveland auto show on a showroom new 14 mustang- and pics of the vin also... look at the 'ugh' thread in the 05-09 section, print those pics, vin number, show it to your dealer. have someone in here run a carfax, find the owner of that car, contact them, have them look under their hood- guaranteed they will both be pissed and back you up.

Ford darn well KNOWS this is a issue and have tapdanced around it too long. PM me a email, ill send you hi-res pics of the auto show crap hoods seen in both 13 and 14s shows.
Old 9/27/14, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alfaromeo
It is possible that the SA's pictures were not good enough. These bubbles are not easy to get good clear pictures with the small regular digital cameras found in dealership. Maybe you share the pictures in this post with SA, things might change. Or you can wait a little longer let the issue get worse then it should be done properly. You have enough warranty left anyway.
I may try doing that. I did that when I had the radio screen delamination issue. It didn't do any good though, they still denied me initially.

ford4v429, I PM'd you. Thanks.

Wayne
Old 10/1/14, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I just checked my trunk decklid for paint bubbling for ****s and giggles today. The one seam looks EXACTLY like your photos in the first post. At one point I can see some metal and rust coming through!!!!! Arghhhhhhh. Another week in the friggin body shop!!!
Old 10/1/14, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dave07
I just checked my trunk decklid for paint bubbling for ****s and giggles today. The one seam looks EXACTLY like your photos in the first post. At one point I can see some metal and rust coming through!!!!! Arghhhhhhh. Another week in the friggin body shop!!!

That sucks. My trunk lid was fixed under warranty and it turned out very nice. Hopefully it will stay that way long term.

The dealer that I have been using doesn't have their own body shop and uses a local one. The local one has a very good reputation so that makes me feel pretty good about the quality of work.

I hope you get yours taken care of.

Wayne
Old 10/1/14, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Name:  rIAm0gb.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  995.0 KB

The same thing with my hood Wayne! I hope the paint holds. I wonder if Ford warranties there repair work?

Also, has anyone noticed Ford Service has stopped posting here?
Old 10/2/14, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your trunk lid is way worse than mine was so you should be able to get it fixed but my front hood also was worse than my trunk lid and they denied it so Ford makes no sense.

I have noticed that Deysha doesn't come here anymore. I have seen her on other forums though.

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I took the car to the dealer today to get the tires rotated and asked them to take new pictures. They ended up not taking any pictures at this time.

I did take the car to the Auto body shop that does warranty work for this dealer and who had fixed the paint on my trunk lid. They looked at it and said at this time, they can't really tell if it's corrosion or sealer that was painted over unless they sand into the areas.

They recommended that I keep an eye on it for the next year since I still have plenty of warranty left to see if the areas change. I think this is what I will do since I don't want any un-needed paint work if I can help it.

Wayne
Old 10/13/14, 07:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I took the car to the dealer today to get the tires rotated and asked them to take new pictures. They ended up not taking any pictures at this time.

I did take the car to the Auto body shop that does warranty work for this dealer and who had fixed the paint on my trunk lid. They looked at it and said at this time, they can't really tell if it's corrosion or sealer that was painted over unless they sand into the areas.

They recommended that I keep an eye on it for the next year since I still have plenty of warranty left to see if the areas change. I think this is what I will do since I don't want any un-needed paint work if I can help it.
Be sure to keep me posted, 70monte.

Deysha
Old 10/13/14, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I sure will Deysha.
Old 10/14/14, 06:06 AM

I sure will Deysha.
Thanks!

Deysha
Old 10/14/14, 01:52 PM

I just bought my '14 GT a little less than a month ago and after reading this thread I went out to check and I see that I have one large bubble under the hood at the front, this sucks.
Old 10/14/14, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also bought my '14 GT a less than a month ago, but I'm going to wait until after the honeymoon to check under the hood...
Old 10/14/14, 03:09 PM

I feel you on waiting but I went out and double checked and found some bubbling down the driver side of the hood as well. I didn't notice anything on the trunk edges. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I'll probably wait till Friday or next week to have them look at it.
Old 10/14/14, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just make sure they take good clear pictures with plenty of light so that whoever looks at the digital imagery can get a good idea of the possible damage. I guess in my case, the pictures of the front hood were not very good and is probably why they were denied especially since the paint issues there were a lot worse than what I had on the trunk lid.

Wayne
Old 10/14/14, 09:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I think all 05-14 owners might want to consider dropping the hood insulation... pulled the wifes 07 off, hard to believe, but the insulation has rubbed thru the paint all over the place, lots of big blisters hdden underneath...never expected that.

pull it before 3/36 runs out for sure!!!

I'm gonna spray black plastidip on the hidden side of the insulation perimeter, should cushion it from chafing thru the paint- will test a piece for flammability first...
Attached Thumbnails Front hood paint issues.-07-hood.jpg  
Old 10/15/14, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mustang8918
I just bought my '14 GT a little less than a month ago and after reading this thread I went out to check and I see that I have one large bubble under the hood at the front, this sucks.
Originally Posted by frank s
I also bought my '14 GT a less than a month ago, but I'm going to wait until after the honeymoon to check under the hood...
Please make an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible and let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for you area, guys. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Front hood paint issues.