Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine tick.

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/11 | 10:14 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by JPJr
It's this noise exactly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg
Back in the day, that was an obvious lifter tick (pushrod). Since 'hydraulic lash adjusters' are the same as lifters, did they bother to take the cam cover off and listen? You know, with a screwdriver placed on the nearby journal and then against your ear? (lol talk about low tech - but it worked!).

Seems to me, if you have a tech with any real world skill (other than book knowledge and a computer screen) they would be looking at replacing one or all lash adjusters in that bank.

Then, if that doesn't work, perhaps one of the finger followers are defective. Or the spring keepers. Or valve stem. Or a bad cam grind. Either way, that's a tappet noise caused by either excessive tolerance that the lifter can't makeup, or the lifter itself is bad.

Did they disassemble and mic all the components? Or just stick to their predetermined 'flat rate' hour limits?

Sometimes a special lifter additive will help, but on a new engine that would be just a temp band-aid. Some valve-train component is NOT within spec.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

It is not an exhaust leak because it is not constant.

Did you listen to that other vid about the piston slap?? Geez, something - piston or sleeve - is way out of spec there!

I love my time tested bomb proof 281!!

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/17/11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 6/16/11 | 11:22 PM
Post *****

I have a similar noise in my 2010 6.2L Raptor. Though it's not quite the SAMs I have heard on Raptor forums that others have problems and it acts up after oil changes. Luckily for them it has turned out to be the Canister Purge Valve actually malfunctioning and ticking in a rhythmic manner. Ford has a TSB for the 6.2L on this now. I'm just throwing this out there if maybe it's a similar issue. I have no idea.

Also some are speculating that 10% ethanol is to blame for the malfunction. That would not surprise me. There are alot of cars out there having issues with The results of burning some ethanol, stupid congress, though yours sounds to be valve train related I guess.
Old 6/17/11 | 04:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Back in the day, that was an obvious lifter tick (pushrod). Since 'hydraulic lash adjusters' are the same as lifters, did they bother to take the cam cover off and listen? You know, with a screwdriver placed on the nearby journal and then against your ear? (lol talk about low tech - but it worked!).

Seems to me, if you have a tech with any real world skill (other than book knowledge and a computer screen) they would be looking at replacing one or all lash adjusters in that bank.

Then, if that doesn't work, perhaps one of the finger followers are defective. Or the spring keepers. Or valve stem. Or a bad cam grind. Either way, that's a tappet noise caused by either excessive tolerance that the lifter can't makeup, or the lifter itself is bad.

Did they disassemble and mic all the components? Or just stick to their predetermined 'flat rate' hour limits?

Sometimes a special lifter additive will help, but on a new engine that would be just a temp band-aid. Some valve-train component is NOT within spec.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

It is not an exhaust leak because it is not constant.

Did you listen to that other vid about the piston slap?? Geez, something - piston or sleeve - is way out of spec there!

I love my time tested bomb proof 281!!
Thanks for the feedback.
I think all my dealer did was have a bunch of people listen to it, and call Ford.