Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Back to the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/11, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the dealership

I set out on a long drive mid-day Friday. I made it a out 150 yards and pulled up to a gate. As I waited for it to swing open the Wrench light came on and the car went haywire.

With the brake depressed and at a full stop, the RPMs started surging from 500 to 1500, back down and back up. This whole time the car began to vibrate side to side. I couldn't accelerate. I threw it into reverse and idled backward into a parking spot. I let it sit there and idle while I called the dealership. They had no advice. I turned off the car and turned it back on. It struggled to start but finally did. Now it drives like nothing happened. I drove it straight to the dealership for about the 8th time.

They have had it since Friday now. They say the computer did not record it and they have no clue what is going on. I have had the wrench light appear at least 10 times and disappear after restart. I have had a throttle body replaced and the cam kit fix. Now it seems like another larger problem is appearing.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems like this and if anyone has been able to get it fixed.
Old 6/10/11, 03:38 PM

I hate to hear that hope they can figure out what is causing the issue.
Old 6/12/11, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Ghost in the machine, for real!
Good luck with the dealership.
I know how frustrating it is.
Old 6/12/11, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Perhaps get a code puller and have it handy? Maybe that would help... but I know that having one handy might be an issue. Still... Real time data would definitely be what's called for here.
Old 6/13/11, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

It does seem like rotten luck. A code reader, aka scan tool, would be handy to record the code. The innova one that I have will also hold the code in the tool, in case you get a tech that clears the EEC memory before showing it to his service writer.

To be honest, I hope it is a code and not an EEC or wiring harness.
Old 6/21/11, 09:18 AM

Slow to update this. They found nothing. I got the car back later in the week after they put around 50 or so miles on it. Nothing.

Just dropped it back off at the shop because both doors now have this clicking/struggling gear sound when ever the window goes up or down. The driver side window failed to come up last night too. Also part of the seals are rubbing off with the windows.

I'm beginning to believe in ghosts and look like a lunatic to my dealership.

I've been in contact with national customer service rep but they can't do anything because the dealership can't recreate the problem. Now it's just a waiting game.
Old 6/21/11, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, that's how that system works- the dealer must make the claim before the service rep at FoMoCo can get involved. It's a bit ridiculous.
Old 6/22/11, 07:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick
Slow to update this. They found nothing. I got the car back later in the week after they put around 50 or so miles on it. Nothing.

Just dropped it back off at the shop because both doors now have this clicking/struggling gear sound when ever the window goes up or down. The driver side window failed to come up last night too. Also part of the seals are rubbing off with the windows.

I'm beginning to believe in ghosts and look like a lunatic to my dealership.

I've been in contact with national customer service rep but they can't do anything because the dealership can't recreate the problem. Now it's just a waiting game.
Hey Stick,

Could you please message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info? I'd like to help you with this.

Deysha
Old 6/22/11, 08:44 AM

Hey Deysha. Thanks, but I have already. I already have a case number and have been talking to a rep. Because the dealer has never 'seen' the problems occur and the wrench light never records in the computer, the dealer nor the customer service rep said they could/would do anything.

Also, all my dealer could find 'wrong' with my windows is that they were dirty. They lubricated all the internals and sent me on my way. They did verifying sound though thankfully. Now to wait and get the other 2 problems 'verified' and all fixed. Fingers crossed. Going to try a new dealership o think.
Old 6/23/11, 09:12 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick
Hey Deysha. Thanks, but I have already. I already have a case number and have been talking to a rep. Because the dealer has never 'seen' the problems occur and the wrench light never records in the computer, the dealer nor the customer service rep said they could/would do anything.

Also, all my dealer could find 'wrong' with my windows is that they were dirty. They lubricated all the internals and sent me on my way. They did verifying sound though thankfully. Now to wait and get the other 2 problems 'verified' and all fixed. Fingers crossed. Going to try a new dealership o think.
Thanks Stick! I forgot that I escalated this for you last month. Please continue to work with the CSM assigned to your case and if you need me, just let me know via pm. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.

Deysha
Old 6/28/11, 11:41 AM

Hello.....

I had a similar problem with my 2010 4.6 GT. It ended up being a vapour lock issue. At about the same time I purchased the ford motorsports tuner....uploaded the tune, and run the aggressive timing option and run 94 octane fuel - and the car has never repeated the weird behavior.

The dealer was asking what type of gas and which gas station I was visiting - apparently some of the lower octane fuels are blended with ethanol which can contribute to the problem.

Hope you get it figured out.