Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine tick.

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11 | 06:32 PM
GT Member

Engine tick.

Just had my second oil change at 10000 miles. The dealer used Motorcraft 5W20 full synthetic, or so they told me.

Now I've got that annoying ticking.
It goes back in tomorrow for them to listen to it.

Dang. It's really bummed me out.
Old 6/8/11 | 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

What year. And I can't believe ford still specs 5w-20. It's too thin. These mod motors like to rev and that's just too thin
Old 6/8/11 | 10:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Everett
What year. And I can't believe ford still specs 5w-20. It's too thin. These mod motors like to rev and that's just too thin
Why do you think it is too thin?
Old 6/9/11 | 05:47 AM
GT Member

I know this issue has been discussed at length, I just thought I was safe.
Nope.
I'm at the dealer right now, and they heard it.
They took it around back for their engine guy to listen to it.
Old 6/9/11 | 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
I know this issue has been discussed at length, I just thought I was safe.
Nope.
I'm at the dealer right now, and they heard it.
They took it around back for their engine guy to listen to it.
Please keep us updated on the findings. Thank you!
Old 6/9/11 | 06:18 AM
GT Member

It's this noise exactly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg

Yesterday afternoon it sounded exactly like this, this morning, at the dealer, it was really only doing it when I revved it a bit.
It's ruining the sound of my GT500 exhaust!

I'm surprised I"m not finding more results here when I search for "engine tick".

I thought since I made it through my first oil change at 5000 miles, I was goign to be OK.
Old 6/9/11 | 06:21 AM
GT Member

OK, I just did my search on the whole 2010+ forum.
A lot more results.
I've got a lot of reading to do...
Old 6/9/11 | 09:42 AM
GT Member

They did not hear it when they took it into the shop, so they brought it back around under the customer drop off area.

It was ticking faintly at idle, but you could hear it when you revved to between 1000-1300 RPMs.
3 guys were listening for it. They thought it sounded like it was coming more from the bottom of the engine.
Yesterday afternoon, when it was at it's loudest, it sounded just like that Youtube clip. It was hot, 97 degrees out, and it would do it at idle.

I am scheduled to go back Monday and leave the car with them for the day.
The service manager said he would call Ford's hotline, and do some research until then.
I mentioned the oil additive with graphite that I've heard about on some other posts on this issue. They weren't aware of that, or any TSB's out on the issue.
They did show they added the Motorcraft oil additive at the oil change.

I was all excited about going in for my appearance mods in a few weeks, I didn't count on having to deal with this.
Old 6/9/11 | 01:54 PM
GT Member

I sent this link to my service manager...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1947311

My first oil change, at 5000 miles was on the dealer.
I bet they put in 5w20 blend.
No noise.

I expected synthetic blend again at my 10000 mile change, which was on my dime. I expected $45-$50
$80 with the additive and all that.
!!!
So I called and asked if that was full synthetic.
They said yup, "all GT's get the good stuff".

But strangely now I have the tick.
I have a feeling if they stuck with the blend, it would have been fine.

Stevmack, you had a post on this subject from last year.
Did yours ever get resolved?
All the threads I find on this are almost a year old now.
Old 6/13/11 | 09:30 AM
GT Member

Update... at the dealer again.

I've spent the morning at my dealer while they try to figure out the noise.
They are baffled. They said they've called Ford, who said to listen to another auto GT to see if they can hear it.
They did, they could not hear it on another one.
I mentioned it might be the oil, but they do not believe that's it, as they said it would happen when cold, too.
Mine seems to do it most when its warmed up.

So probably, I'll just get the car back while they investigate further.

Oy.
Old 6/13/11 | 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

I cannot speak for your situation, but I can say, I changed my factory oil out at 3000 miles with Mobil 1, 5W-20 full syn. At 6800 miles I took it in to the dealer for a factory change to insure there were no problems with the warranty. The dealer initially put in semi-syn MC 5W-20, which I caught as I was paying. I told them to replace it with full syn as that was all I was going to use, which they did, I was not chanrged for the first change.

I just completed another change at 10924 miles, again with Mobil 1. I have had no noise from the engine using full syn oils, and using the factory recommended 5W-20.
99% of my driving is high speed, interstate in South Dakota, as I live 25 miles from the city. I drive the car all year, in rain and snow (with Blizzaks), but, again, there has never been any engine noise, even at -25F starts.
Old 6/14/11 | 10:59 AM
GT Member

Thanks.

I haven't noticed it as much lately.
They gave me the car back, and will let me know if they hear anything from Ford.

Maybe it'll work itself out.
If something actually breaks, they'll fix it.
Old 6/14/11 | 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

JPJR. I've heard the tick in my car as well (noticed about 1,200 mi the first time now has 2,000). I only use Mobil 1 5w20 Full Syn. The tick is not as distict as yours but I wouldn't worry about it. The Ls1 engines were notorious for developing a dieseling sound about 1,000 miles. I think the new 5.0's may have their own unique annoynce as well. i wouldn't worry too much about it. Drive it like you stole it. It's under warranty. No one notices this stuff but us. We hear every squeek and rattle in our own car.
Old 6/15/11 | 11:46 AM
GT Member

Angry

There is a LONG thread about this on allfordmustangs.com
I spent way too long yesterday afternoon reading through it all.

One of the most recent posts is a guy that had a Ford field engineer at his dealer for a couple of days.
The official report back from Ford?
"It's normal".

That really p!ssed me off.

One of my favorite things about my Mustang is the sound.
I rarely have the radio on. If it's not too hot or cold to have the windows down, their down!
I love it.
When I was at my dealer, revving my engine to hear the tick, I kept thinking, "dang, that GT500 exhaust sounds good!"
...then, from the front, that dang tick.

2012GT, you're right, mine's minor right now, most people won't notice.
But it bugs me.

Sure, they say, "It's normal".
...until just after the powertrain warranty runs out, then BOOM!

After hearing this, I was even on the Camaro5 forums this morning, looking at what SS's are going for.
...and I don't really even like the new Camaro.
Old 6/15/11 | 01:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you contact Deysha from Ford Customer Service who posts here to see if there was more that could be done for this?
Old 6/15/11 | 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

JPJR, It doesn't matter if you get a Z06 Corvette. It is man-made and something will not be "exactly right". I even went to a Camaro forum for you. I am certain Camaro's have their issues( I haven't looked into them enough to find out though). However, the first post was a mechanical issue and problems with the dealer. The poster even alluded to they shouyld've kept their Mustang. http://camaroforums.com/forum/fifth-...-around-62524/
Old 6/15/11 | 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Why do you think it is too thin?
Because these ohc motors just destroy oil. Oil is a hobby of mine and I sell Amsoil. They send me tons of paperwork on different engines and their oil needs. Just about every chrysler engine since the 70s need an oil with elevated detergents because they are all sludge prone. Fords 2v,3v and 4v motors need a very robust oil because they shear them very quickly. I read alot. The oil layer once at temp with 5w-20 is too thin and will accelerate wear. If you never rev the engine or push the car hard 0w-20 is fine. But if you spend any time above 2500 rpm a 5w-20 isn't thick enough. I have had great results with Amsoil 0w-30 and mobil 0w-40. And mileage didn't decrease going thicker. Mileage actually got better because of how thin these oils are at start up. There is an abundance of info on the CAFE laws and ford backdating oil specs to save them money in carbon taxes. The same ford motors in Australia call for a 5w-30. Why. No cafe laws. Use what you want. I don't care.
Old 6/15/11 | 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
I sent this link to my service manager...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1947311

My first oil change, at 5000 miles was on the dealer.
I bet they put in 5w20 blend.
No noise.

I expected synthetic blend again at my 10000 mile change, which was on my dime. I expected $45-$50
$80 with the additive and all that.
!!!
So I called and asked if that was full synthetic.
They said yup, "all GT's get the good stuff".

But strangely now I have the tick.
I have a feeling if they stuck with the blend, it would have been fine.

Stevmack, you had a post on this subject from last year.
Did yours ever get resolved?
All the threads I find on this are almost a year old now.
Motorcraft doesn't make a true synthetic. They lied to you
Old 6/15/11 | 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I cannot speak for your situation, but I can say, I changed my factory oil out at 3000 miles with Mobil 1, 5W-20 full syn. At 6800 miles I took it in to the dealer for a factory change to insure there were no problems with the warranty. The dealer initially put in semi-syn MC 5W-20, which I caught as I was paying. I told them to replace it with full syn as that was all I was going to use, which they did, I was not chanrged for the first change.

I just completed another change at 10924 miles, again with Mobil 1. I have had no noise from the engine using full syn oils, and using the factory recommended 5W-20.
99% of my driving is high speed, interstate in South Dakota, as I live 25 miles from the city. I drive the car all year, in rain and snow (with Blizzaks), but, again, there has never been any engine noise, even at -25F starts.
Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic. Only mobil's EP line is really synthetic
Old 6/15/11 | 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

K. Just to inform the people who believe commercials. Mobil 1 is NOT a true synthetic. Their EP line is tho. Red-line,Amsoil and royal purple are true synthetics and easily found. Quaker state,penzoil and so on may call their oils synthetic but in truth they aren't. They are a hydrocracked group 3 basestock which starts out as conventional oil. Then refined. Mobil 1 is included in these. Only group 4 and 5 start with a synthetic basestock. I am not saying they aren't good products. What I am saying is they are deceiving the uneducated person who watches tv and believes what they see. Royal purple and red-line also contain moly which is an amazing friction modifier. Amsoil will soon have a moly infused oil as well. So just to re-cap. Mobil 1 IS NOT A FULL SYNTHETIC,their EP line is tho, and the only easily found TRUE synthetics are red-line,Amsoil and royal purple. And your motor is ticking because the oil isn't robust enough. Try a 0w-30 or 0w-40. That is all

Quick Reply: Engine tick.