Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

is crack in exhaust covered by BtB warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/13, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is crack in exhaust covered by BtB warranty?

Pulled my 2014 Mustang into a grassy parking area last weekend, while pulling into the area the car bottomed out alittle bit on a high spot.
On the way home from the event, I noticed the exhaust now sounds alot louder.
After I got home, I crawled under the car and saw a ding in the cat converter (but I could not see any hole, just a ding). I'm highly suspicious that maybe either a weld cracked in a joint somewhere along the exhaust infront of the cat converter, or maybe something closer towards the headers.
Question is, whatever the source of the exhaust leak, will my bumper-to-bumper warranty cover it & fix it??
Old 10/29/13, 05:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Doubt it.
Take it to an exhaust shop to check the leak. Cost you 40 bucks tops. Not worth the hassle with Ford even if they did cover accidental damage.
Old 10/29/13, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

Thats sucks man. Unfortunately seems like it was caused by you in which case I don't see them covering it. The dealer will be able to tell.
Old 10/29/13, 05:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
My old goat 00 has had more exhaust leaks then you can imagine. I've also had heat shields come loose after bottoming out. That's why I say 40 bucks. It never exceeded that. No worries man, we all bottom out or babies. The worst is the front fascia!
Old 10/29/13, 05:18 PM

So you think if I go to the dealer and play dumb just saying "I don't know, all of a sudden the exhaust just seems alot louder than it used to be", they'd probably still be able to see the problem and tell if it was "operator error" or not?
Old 10/29/13, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
So you think if I go to the dealer and play dumb just saying "I don't know, all of a sudden the exhaust just seems alot louder than it used to be", they'd probably still be able to see the problem and tell if it was "operator error" or not?
Well if there is just a crack in a weld that is causing the problem then yes they might cover it but if there are dents and signs of something hitting the exhuast then no.
Old 10/29/13, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why try to bs them....you made a mistake...fix it.

Now, if you go in and tell them up front what happened and the dealer agrees to fix it free, that is a different story.
Old 11/1/13, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you sure its your cats? The resonators have dents in them but you can only one side.
Old 11/2/13, 05:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Why try to bs them....you made a mistake...fix it. Now, if you go in and tell them up front what happened and the dealer agrees to fix it free, that is a different story.
Exactly...own up to it...don't "stretch the truth".
Old 11/5/13, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think it would be nearly impossible to hit something with your cats seeing as they're tucked up way underneith and bolted to the exhaust manifolds. What you're seeing is more likely the resonators that are dented from the factory.
Old 11/5/13, 03:18 PM

I took the car to the dealer last weekend, and simply told them the exhaust sounds alot louder, so I think it has an exhaust leak. The Service Mgr said he'll have one of his techs look at it shortly.
Note - Service Mgr never asked me any questions (ie. Have I done any upgrades, or have I hit or ran over anything recently, etc..), he just said "he'll have someone look at it shortly".

1 1/2 hours later the Service Mgr came to the waiting room and said "Yep, you got an exhaust leak alright. Its around the exhaust manifold (ie. headers), so we've ordered a new exhaust manifold. We'll call you when it comes in, we'll need the car for the day." I asked if it is covered under the warranty, he said yes.

Guess either I lucked out, or Ford doesn't really care how an exhaust leak happens (while car is under B2B warranty)...
Old 11/6/13, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
I took the car to the dealer last weekend, and simply told them the exhaust sounds alot louder, so I think it has an exhaust leak. The Service Mgr said he'll have one of his techs look at it shortly.
Note - Service Mgr never asked me any questions (ie. Have I done any upgrades, or have I hit or ran over anything recently, etc..), he just said "he'll have someone look at it shortly".

1 1/2 hours later the Service Mgr came to the waiting room and said "Yep, you got an exhaust leak alright. Its around the exhaust manifold (ie. headers), so we've ordered a new exhaust manifold. We'll call you when it comes in, we'll need the car for the day." I asked if it is covered under the warranty, he said yes.

Guess either I lucked out, or Ford doesn't really care how an exhaust leak happens (while car is under B2B warranty)...
Hard to imagine you did that damage pulling into a grassy parking lot anyway if it's up by the headers.