Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Car pulling and pull changes direction after bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/13, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car pulling and pull changes direction after bumps

I have been having an issue that seems to be getting worse. Often on the highway my Mustang will pull a bit to one side. It is a constant pull (not just the highway groove/hydroplane type feeling that I got used to quickly). What I found odd is that it will often change directions after hitting a bump. It is most noticeable on 30min+ drives because my arms will feel a little fatigued fighting the pull - and when the direction of the pull changes it is very noticeable because that arm can now relax.

I also noticed that driving slow (30-40mph) around my friends house that I go to frequently that lately the car jerks you around driving down the road near him. It used to do it a little, but it has been getting significantly worse where, to me, it just feels unsafe.

I took it to the dealer for that and some other things. This dealer has been great, no complaints. But they did say that this is behaving normally because it has wide tires and grips the road more than most other cars or that it could be lower tread

This is my first performance car, but I have been driving it for 1.5yrs (19k miles). It doesn't seem like it should be this bad - and definitely wasn't this bad for the first year.

Looking for opinions...is this normal? If that is the general consensus then I guess I will learn to deal with it. Otherwise I will press the issue. I am already working with Deysha on some other stuff related to my Mustang (a total of 25 days in shop for many repairs, which seems excessive to me for a car this new), so I might bring up this specific issue (again if others agree it shouldn't be like that)
Old 11/8/13, 07:50 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
I have been having an issue that seems to be getting worse. Often on the highway my Mustang will pull a bit to one side. It is a constant pull (not just the highway groove/hydroplane type feeling that I got used to quickly). What I found odd is that it will often change directions after hitting a bump. It is most noticeable on 30min+ drives because my arms will feel a little fatigued fighting the pull - and when the direction of the pull changes it is very noticeable because that arm can now relax....
Thanks for this info, SkyyPunk! I updated your case with this info as well. Your CSM should be contacting you today.

Deysha
Old 11/8/13, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Did the dealership at least look at your car/front end before determining that this is normal behavior?
Old 11/8/13, 10:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Did the dealership at least look at your car/front end before determining that this is normal behavior?
Unfortunately I won't know until I get my car back - what I heard was just the update they gave me yesterday. They did also say that they road tested another Mustang that was in for an unrelated thing and it behaved the same. I only drive in that area when I am going to this dealer so I don't know if the roads near them would replicate the issues I had (or if there is confusion on what they think the issue I described is)

They had someone else coming to look at another issue on my car and they were going to bring it up with him as well

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 11/8/13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11/8/13, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds like an alignment issue, to say "You have 255's so that's a lot of tire and that's your problem" is pretty ignorant. I could understand tramlining but you can feel the ruts you get stuck into and the car only pulls into the rut not while in. I would ask them to check both the front and rear alignment.
Old 11/8/13, 11:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to make sure the no brainer stuff is out of the way... have you checked air pressure? Lug nuts tight?
Old 11/8/13, 10:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Just to make sure the no brainer stuff is out of the way... have you checked air pressure? Lug nuts tight?
I got an oil change a few weeks ago and my pressure was checked then, I would assume the numbers entered in were legit - though to be fair I have not checked myself. I will try to remember to do that tomorrow
Old 11/13/13, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

This happened to me. Turned out to be a shredded lca bushing.
Old 11/20/13, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

When I bought my new '07 GT, I soon noticed the car tended to follow uneven pavement and cracks in the road. Kind of like it was trying to steer itself. In hilly country, the car was road crazy. When I investigated, I found the following...

The original (Tulsa Ford) dealer had changed the tires and wheels to; 275/40ZR-18s with 9.5"x18" ZR brand chrome Bullitts. After the front tires were abnormally worn on the inside, at 5,000 miles, I found out that Tulsa Ford did not bother to re-align the car for the wider stance. My local Ford dealer aligned it for me, but had to install aftermarket camber plates and take the alignment out of recommended Ford specs to straighten the tires up, making the car drive right. Prior to re-alignment, my Ford dealer rotated the tires and wheels from front to back, which transferred the whining tire noise to the rear. The pics below shows how the front tires are kicked out at the bottom before I had it straightened up.
Attached Thumbnails Car pulling and pull changes direction after bumps-1047409.jpg   Car pulling and pull changes direction after bumps-1047407.jpg  

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 11/20/13 at 11:25 AM.