Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

6th gear grinding again on Boss

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/13, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6th gear grinding again on Boss

I had a problem with the transmission grinding going into 6th gear.
Right after I got the car, they replaced the transmission for that reason and now in a little over a year on it, it is doing it again! I have no faith in the transmission at all now and I am taking it in to get it resolved again. I heard that some were able to pay extra and upgrade to a GT500 transmission instead? I would be happy to do that if that is true!
Does anyone know about that? Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on with the 6th gear? The last time, I suggested that maybe a skip-shift was causing it by working wrong. I was told that there is no way that could cause it though.
Thanks for any comments, ideas that I can use to work with the dealer to get this fixed properly. The car has 2500 miles on it!
Jim
Old 7/27/20, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help, think I have enough of what I need, I just found out today that ford isnt going to cover this one. My local dealer said it would be 1530.00 if nothing else needs to be done. All other gears are good so far. I dont do too many posts so i was wondering if this would go out to everyone so that I could get everyones input. Please let me know if there is something else I need to do to do that. So, couple questions for everyone. Talked to a Ben Calimer, recommended by the owner of mgw shifters. He said that if I had the mgw shifter, it wouldnt have made any difference on saving my 6th gear, so He recommended Calimer. Calimer doesnt warranty his trans, but it sounds like he puts very good aftermarket parts in like bronze shift pads, billet rails, and carbon fiber synchros. He says the 6th gear ring from ford, which I think he means synchro is wrapped in paper, which obviously makes it pretty fragile. Does anyone know if thats true? I would have to pull my tranny, send it to him and turn around would only be about 2 days. With shipping both ways, 12-1300.00 It would cost probably 3-400 or more for me to have it pulled and reinstalled, so maybe 1600 or so. The Service manager at ford gave me a case # so I courld call ford and plead my case. They rebuilt it twice in 2018 and less than 7000 miles since my last rebuild, but more than 12 months, which puts me out of warranty. I dont want to pay anything, Id like ford to cover everything but I also dont feel comfotable or secure with their rebuild. I think if they would cover this and i dont have any elusions, Ill take my chances one more time. If it doesnt last I can always get Calimers done later. Im open for all suggestions at this point. Anyone have any luck having ford cover their builds? Any suggestions on how to approach them? Thanks for your time