Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

401a interior - is this "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/13, 09:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by thebms
Update:

The good news is that I finally got my car back. They had also done some work on the a/c system, which was great (they used their best mechanic - same guy who does all the Shelbys and FordGTs).

The bad news is that the seat looks worse than before. I am so disappointed
Edit: I can totally see the breakdown/misshaped foam on the top corner closest to the door. That little dip should be full and tight. You can see the sag if you look carefully.
Old 9/9/13, 12:51 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Update:
The good news is that I finally got my car back. They had also done some work on the a/c system, which was great (they used their best mechanic - same guy who does all the Shelbys and FordGTs).

The bad news is that the seat looks worse than before. I am so disappointed
I'm going to get this fixed. I love my car, but this seat pisses me off every time I look at it. I just want what I paid for.
I actually don't think this is the dealer's fault... The are just trying to help within the limits of what Ford Warranty dept. tells them. Hopefully, I can get some answers Monday when people are back in the office.
I updated your case, thebms. I will have your CSM contact you.

Deysha
Old 9/10/13, 06:03 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService

Deysha
Thanks. I'll let you know what the CSM says. I also got in touch with the dealership, and the service manager said he could take more pictures and submit another claim. I hope this is resolved soon - sometimes it feel like the main thing I use the car for it driving back and forth from the dealership
Old 9/11/13, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Deysha
Still no word from the CSM.
Old 9/12/13, 08:22 AM

Still no word from the CSM.
He'll call you today, thebms.

Deysha
Old 9/13/13, 11:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
What's the scoop? Got it fixed?
Old 9/13/13, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
What's the scoop? Got it fixed?
Not yet. The dealership said we need to submit a new claim with more photos, and I'm away from the car due to work until Sat. I hope to have an answer Monday.
Old 9/18/13, 05:35 AM
GT Member

Unhappy

Update: I worked with my dealership to submit another claim. Ford Warranty's response was that I should bring the car in again so they can make "adjustments."

I'm more than a little frustrated since they've already had the seat apart three times - I have no idea how taking it apart and putting it back together again could possible help. At this point, the foam is breaking down, so I would think messing with it would only make things worse.

So its back to the dealership I go again.

Last edited by thebms; 9/19/13 at 05:52 AM.
Old 9/19/13, 08:35 AM

I have a 2013 GT premium with the 401a interior. After only about 800 miles the driver seat looks like this, and seems to be getting worse by the mile.

Is this "normal?" I'm not a big or heavy guy. Honestly, I have seen cars with 10's of thousands of miles with leather that looks better than this.

I love the car, but this ticks me off every time I open the driver's side door and see it.

If you think it's a defect, how would you approach getting it fixed?
My drivers seat has also developed practically the exact same ripple problem as clearly shown in your first pic. I have a 2013 GT with 401A. This should be a no brainer for Ford to resolve. Thanks for sharing the issue as well as keeping us posted.
Old 9/19/13, 02:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ETBassJr

My drivers seat has also developed practically the exact same ripple problem as clearly shown in your first pic. I have a 2013 GT with 401A. This should be a no brainer for Ford to resolve. Thanks for sharing the issue as well as keeping us posted.
Have you taken it in? What did the dealer say/do? Is the problem resolved?
Old 9/19/13, 10:36 PM

Have you taken it in? What did the dealer say/do? Is the problem resolved?
I recently read your post, so no, I haven't yet taken the car in. I also have a shifting problem, plus the infamous front A-arm noise creak over speed bumps problem. I'm waiting for two of these issues to get a little more pronounced so that there's no question that all the problems exist. Judging by your experience it sounds like the seat issue is difficult for Ford to figure out. I'll post more as soon as I take the car in, which should be soon.
Old 9/20/13, 09:48 AM

Update: I worked with my dealership to submit another claim. Ford Warranty's response was that I should bring the car in again so they can make "adjustments."

I'm more than a little frustrated since they've already had the seat apart three times - I have no idea how taking it apart and putting it back together again could possible help. At this point, the foam is breaking down, so I would think messing with it would only make things worse.

So its back to the dealership I go again.
Thank you for the update, thebms.

Originally Posted by ETBassJr
Hi ETBassJr,

Please make an appointment with your dealer and let me escalate this for you as well. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 9/20/13, 06:58 PM
GT Member

I am not a happy camper. The last claim that was submitted, Ford said to bring the car in for an "adjustment." Well, I brought it in today and the tech tried, but no further adjustment was possible. The seat has been taken apart so many times now that it looks and feels
totally worn out.

Ford then authorized another new seat cover, but I'm not sure how that will solve the problem since it was already tried and failed. I spoke with the dealer some more when I picked up the car - we will try to get Ford to authorize replacement of the foam too. The dealer has been great so I am hopeful.

Ford needs to step up to the plate here and replace the whole bottom end of the seat. Four visits with no progress is ridiculous. A lot of time and money could have been saved if this was done right the first time.

I totally regret ticking the box for the 401a "upgrade."
Old 9/20/13, 07:08 PM
I Have No Life

I am not a happy camper. The last claim that was submitted, Ford said to bring the car in for an "adjustment." Well, I brought it in today and the tech tried, but no further adjustment was possible. The seat has been taken apart so many times now that it looks and feels
totally worn out.

Ford then authorized another new seat cover, but I'm not sure how that will solve the problem since it was already tried and failed. I spoke with the dealer some more when I picked up the car - we will try to get Ford to authorize replacement of the foam too. The dealer has been great so I am hopeful.

Ford needs to step up to the plate here and replace the whole bottom end of the seat. Four visits with no progress is ridiculous. A lot of time and money could have been saved if this was done right the first time.

I totally regret ticking the box for the 401a "upgrade."
Sorry to hear that. Maybe have them out recaros instead as compensation.
Old 9/20/13, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Sorry to hear that. Maybe have them out recaros instead as compensation.
Believe me. I've thought about it. If I had to order my car again, I would go for the Recaros. If there was any way to have them switched out under warranty, I would.
Old 9/20/13, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

Believe me. I've thought about it. If I had to order my car again, I would go for the Recaros. If there was any way to have them switched out under warranty, I would.
Demand it...

Serious... For putting up with all this
Old 9/22/13, 07:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread is frustrating. So sorry my friend. I see all of the 401a interiors that are flawless from the get go and I just can't understand why the dealership is not doing anything about it. There resolution is unacceptable!

I'd take it as far as saying the seat is now a safety hazard. The wrinkles are interfering with safe heel/toe shifting. Your jeans are now getting hung up on the seat when hitting the brakes, Also they are causing the seatbelt to wear irregularly, in addition, causing lumbar breakdown in your back. You should see a doctor for that unsafe seat that Ford refuses to fix!. Lol you get my drift.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/22/13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 9/23/13, 08:08 AM

totally worn out.

Ford then authorized another new seat cover, but I'm not sure how that will solve the problem since it was already tried and failed. I spoke with the dealer some more when I picked up the car - we will try to get Ford to authorize replacement of the foam too. The dealer has been great so I am hopeful...
Be sure to speak to your CSM as well, thebms.

Deysha
Old 9/23/13, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Be sure to speak to your CSM as well, thebms.

Deysha
I spoke with the CSM this morning and expressed my concerns. He said he would follow up with the dealership and that they would get back to me about the next step.
Old 9/24/13, 10:49 AM
GT Member

The dealership just called me back - they got authorization to replace the foam as well as the cover.

I asked if they could look into whether there are other parts that form or support the seat bottom that I could also be replaced - springs, bolsters, etc.

I also want the fasteners to be replaced - maybe part of the problem is that the seat cover is not being held in place properly?

Can anyone think of other related seat components that I should ask to be replaced? Unfortunately, the Recaros are a no go :-(

Quick Reply: 401a interior - is this "normal"