Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

401a interior - is this "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/13, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
401a interior - is this "normal"

I have a 2013 GT premium with the 401a interior. After only about 800 miles the driver seat looks like this, and seems to be getting worse by the mile.

Is this "normal?" I'm not a big or heavy guy. Honestly, I have seen cars with 10's of thousands of miles with leather that looks better than this.

I love the car, but this ticks me off every time I open the driver's side door and see it.

If you think it's a defect, how would you approach getting it fixed?
Attached Thumbnails 401a interior - is this "normal"-image-3195580850.jpg  
Old 6/24/13, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

I would contact your dealer. Theres no way to really fix that. Not that you would want to anyway. A visit to the dealer is free if its still under warranty. I would contact Ford Customer Service rep on here also.
Old 6/24/13, 02:22 PM
GT Member

im a pretty big guy (250lb) but I have the basic leather and its not doing that
Old 6/24/13, 02:32 PM

Not normal. Can't wait to hear what the Ford dealer says

Let us know, it will probably be good for a laugh to hear their excuse.
Old 6/24/13, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

i have the 401A and I have 9000 miles on my car and my seats looking nothing like that. I really hope your dealer does not dick you around with that ?
Old 6/24/13, 08:11 PM
GT Member

I haven't got these seats, so can't tell exactly where the crush is, but if appropriate: are you one of those guys who carries a 2" thick wallet in their back pocket?
Old 6/25/13, 06:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 48K on my 2011 with the leather, and my side bolsters do not look like that.

After about 130K on my 2004 F150, the sides began to show sagging like yours. I took it ti an auto apolstry shop. Within 45 minutes and 65 bucks later, they installed some new foam, and It was like new again.

If Ford will not do anything under warranty, consider having it repaired at a local auto apolstry shop.
Old 6/25/13, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

The leather in our car is crap.
Old 6/25/13, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys. I made an appointment to have it checked out (along with some other squeaks and rattles). I'm gong to give Ford a chance to make all right, and will post their response (so you all can laugh, cry, or rejoice LOL).

I'm 170 lbs and don't keep a wallet or anything in my pockets while driving, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Old 6/25/13, 08:27 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Reach under the seat and make sure all of the bottom seat clips are secure. The one in the back can work its way loose.

You can also unlatch this clip and pull the leather tighter, then re-clip. This is a temporary cosmetic fix. Your foam is giving out. Logically, your leather will outlive your foam. You don't have to be a big guy to see what you see because the factoryfoam is cheap and flimsy.

I would advise anyone who does a cloth leather swap to replace the bottom foam as well.
Old 6/25/13, 09:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thebms
I have a 2013 GT premium with the 401a interior. After only about 800 miles the driver seat looks like this, and seems to be getting worse by the mile.
Thanks guys. I made an appointment to have it checked out (along with some other squeaks and rattles). I'm gong to give Ford a chance to make all right, and will post their response (so you all can laugh, cry, or rejoice LOL).
Hi thebms,

I agree with you bringing it in to your dealer as soon as possible. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name and best daytime number so I can escalate this to your customer service manager.

Deysha
Old 6/26/13, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
almost 5000 miles on my seats the bottom isnt the best but still looks great

Name:  20130322_115118_zps5f4cda3e.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  114.3 KB
Old 6/29/13, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I have 40k on my '11 with leather seats and they dont do that. I would take it back if you havent already.

Matthew
Old 6/29/13, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is definitely not right there.
Hope it gets taken care of right for you.
Old 7/9/13, 06:14 PM
GT Member

OK, here it goes. I took the car in to the dealer last Friday. They told me the leather was relaxing and it was "normal," so I asked how could it possibly be normal when the other side of the seat which had exactly the same conditions and wear looks basically new (because it is - only ~900 miles)? Ditto with the passenger seat.

I asked what they would do if it was their car - they said they would probably be pissed. I also asked if they personally thought it was right - they said sorry, but that't what Ford's warranty department told them to say. When I said that that's not a reasonable or acceptable answer, and asked what I could do next, they suggested I call the regional service manager.

I would add at this point that everyone I dealt with at the dealership and at customer service was professional, courteous, and as helpful as they could be.

So I called the regional service manager and left a message. While waiting for a call back, I chatted with a few other customers and asked what they thought (the car was right there). Everyone said that the leather was clearly defective and that Ford should fix it.

The regional sales manager called me back later that day, said he would follow up with the dealership and see what he could do. Today, he called back and said if I brought the car back in that they would look into it further. I guess its back to the dealership...
Old 7/9/13, 07:02 PM
GT Member

While I was in the for seat, I also had them look into an intermittent, faint high pitch squeaking noise that's been going on for the past few weeks. It sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side wheel area. There does not seem to be any particular trigger - it happens at local and highway speeds, turning and going straight, with no relation to breaking, accelerating, or coasting.

I explained the issue in detail to both the service manager and technician. After a road test, the diagnosis was "the torsen differential may chatter/groan when turning sharply at low speeds." This makes no sense, since its has no relation to the actual symptoms.

The regional service manager said I could bring the car in for a closer look, but I wish they took a serious look when I was there the first time... If anyone has experienced this, or has an idea what this could be or if there is a relevant TSB please let me know.

I'm just happy that my MT-82 shifts smooth as butter once its warmed up. So smooth that some of my BMW driving friends prefer it to their Getrags!
Old 7/10/13, 07:39 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, here it goes. I took the car in to the dealer last Friday. They told me the leather was relaxing and it was "normal," so I asked how could it possibly be normal when the other side of the seat which had exactly the same conditions and wear looks basically new (because it is - only ~900 miles)? Ditto with the passenger seat....
Thanks for the update, thebms. Please be sure to work with your CSM until all your concerns have been addressed. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 7/29/13, 12:47 PM
GT Member

Update: I took the car in again today, they took the seat apart, said there was nothing wrong with the foam, and denied the claim again... Since I wasn't going to give up, i went through the original request with the service manager. The pictures that Ford saw were from ~5 feet away, so Ford didn't think was a problem. All it took was a resubmission with close up shots. Now, a new seat is on order and will be installed soon!
Old 7/29/13, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
The leather in our car is crap.
It's not the leather, but the foam (or lack of it) that breaks down early. A good apolstry shop can easily correct it.
Old 7/29/13, 01:56 PM
V6 Member

Shoot, Ive only got about 4700 miles on my '14 and my seat looks exactly like that. Just the right side of the stripe, not the left.

Quick Reply: 401a interior - is this "normal"