Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 Mustang GT Engine tick/knock

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/16, 03:51 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I use the car more, I learn a little more.

When the car is cold, the drive shaft doesn't hit the top of the center support ( the feeling in the emergency break handle ) as bad, but you still get the feeling of a bumpy road in the car. ( yes the drive shaft issue feels almost exactly like a tire with a flat spot or a bumpy road ). However, when that rubber warms up, that's when I feel the hitting sensation in the emergency break handle.

Last week, I felt a similar sensations in the 2016 GT I rented for a day ( minus the feeling in the break handle ).

couple of points:

1. Since the issue feels like a bad tire or bumpy road, the average person isn't reporting any issue to Ford.
2. This is very likely a systemic issue with the center support itself, affecting many more customers than just myself.
3. Not sure if Ford will work with me to investigate the issue as systemic
4. My specific car may be potentially unsafe to drive back to the dealer. At the very least, very uncomfortable to drive back to the dealer.
5. Given the above, a 1 pc DS is looking like a pretty good option but ouch, I just plopped 3500 down payment

Last edited by jc46002003; 3/6/16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 3/12/16, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, sounds like your last car was a nightmare. I'm surprised you went with a Mustang again. I don't notice any weird vibrations with my 14 GT but I do have some noise that I can't pinpoint. I don't know if it's the rear end or the tires. I've had it in to Ford a couple of times for it but they always say it's the tires. Maybe once I get rid of the Pirelli's, I will know more. good luck on getting this new car fixed.

Wayne
The following users liked this post:
Ralyn Barker (6/29/20)
Old 3/12/16, 01:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the tick also and it has gotten worse. Tried oil changes and different octanes. Sadly, with just 19k miles I am out of warranty. (2012)

I love the car more than any car I've ever owned but already replacing all 4 flaked off wheels, hood corrosion that now appears to have returned, and now the engine tick...all the stories about crappy LCR, AC and water pumps going out right at warranty end...

I've seriously been contemplating the SRT8 Challenger. More to come.
Old 3/12/16, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
Wow, sounds like your last car was a nightmare. I'm surprised you went with a Mustang again. I don't notice any weird vibrations with my 14 GT but I do have some noise that I can't pinpoint. I don't know if it's the rear end or the tires. I've had it in to Ford a couple of times for it but they always say it's the tires. Maybe once I get rid of the Pirelli's, I will know more. good luck on getting this new car fixed.

Wayne
Thanks for your post. I've since returned the 2016 Mustang to the dealer for a refund. The dealer, Ford managers and myself all agreed it would be best to end our relationship at this point.

I figured the 2016 would be better and in a lot of ways, it is much better. I know the center support for the shaft was changed with I hope, the intention of making it better. But in my opinion, it's much worse than the old carrier. How does that happen? Mind blowing...

Issues with the returned Mustang:

1. Drive shaft vibration
2. A/C clutch engagements very loud
3. drivers side wind noise ( no noise on the passenger side ).

thought: they can't fix the drive shaft in any reasonable amount of time as it's my opinion that the issue is systemic. I had the same issue with a 2016 GT Rental. I feel if they replaced it I would have the same issue 100 miles later. They might be calling me to go over my points, not sure.

Regarding your noise. Some dealerships will minimize and deflect any warranty work. Which is what I believe they're doing in your case. Or, they would have told you this: When you hear the noise, throw the car out of gear. If it goes away, it's likely rear diff. If it doesn't go away, it's more likely to be tires. They can't know 100% for sure if it's tires or not, without troubleshooting. They're stalling you, even though they may not know it themselves. Their system just tells them to.

Would be happy to hear back from you here on your results.

Last edited by jc46002003; 3/12/16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 3/12/16, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I have the tick also and it has gotten worse. Tried oil changes and different octanes. Sadly, with just 19k miles I am out of warranty. (2012)

I love the car more than any car I've ever owned but already replacing all 4 flaked off wheels, hood corrosion that now appears to have returned, and now the engine tick...all the stories about crappy LCR, AC and water pumps going out right at warranty end...

I've seriously been contemplating the SRT8 Challenger. More to come.
Thanks for the post.

For the engine tick, remove the a/c belt and see if the noise goes away or stays.

I'm looking at the 2016 Camaro 1SS pretty hard at the moment. That Lt1 omg what a motor... Hope the quality is better. Considering the manual trans as the auto has cylinder deactivation....yuk. Are the designers insane?

Last edited by jc46002003; 3/12/16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 3/12/16, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
Thanks for the post.

For the engine tick, remove the a/c belt and see if the noise goes away or stays.

I'm looking at the 2016 Camaro 1SS pretty hard at the moment. Hope the quality is better.
You do know that the 2015s were held back because the driveshaft was hitting by like 1mm, right? Watch that Netflix documentary on the development of the 2015 - towards the end, they say they have it fixed. Maybe it wasn't fixed afterall...
Old 3/12/16, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
You do know that the 2015s were held back because the driveshaft was hitting by like 1mm, right? Watch that Netflix documentary on the development of the 2015 - towards the end, they say they have it fixed. Maybe it wasn't fixed afterall...
Thanks for your post here.

No I didn't know that but it's my very strong assumption they didn't fix it. I could be wrong. All they need to do is make the rubber more dense. Very easy to fix...Why can't they get it right? The concept is very old and very simple. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited by jc46002003; 3/12/16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 3/12/16, 04:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Just watched the documentary. Good stuff. Thank you so much for mentioning that to us here on the community. I'm showing it to the managers at the dealer as well. Maybe they should make a TSB at this point....

Last edited by jc46002003; 3/12/16 at 04:42 PM.
Old 3/12/16, 10:16 PM
GT Member

I just now found this holy be jebus : http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990
Old 3/12/16, 11:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
Just watched the documentary. Good stuff. Thank you so much for mentioning that to us here on the community. I'm showing it to the managers at the dealer as well. Maybe they should make a TSB at this point....
I was shocked they mentioned it in the video, since a lot of people waited on their 2015 orders with no word as to why they were delayed. Especially considering how many people complain about vibrations on these cars.

You should hear my car now, after I removed the Dynamat'ed heat shield from my MGW. I plan on buying a carbon fiber driveshaft to help with some of the noises (supposedly the CF shafts absorb a lot of noise). My car literally sounds like a race car with straight cut gears. Clanks, booms, bumps, whines...I've honestly started to just ignore them and accept they're just a part of Mustang ownership. Besides, they only bother me at low speeds when I'm trying to drive smooth/quiet and conserve fuel (which, is most of the time). But when I drive the car hard, they all combine to provide a very mechanical, raw symphony.

So, it kinda is what it is for me...
Old 4/15/16, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking

Ill add my car to the list of frequent tickers talked about on this forum. Ive been dealing with it off and on for almost a year now....

Last summer several visits yielded cam cap bolts replaced. (After i had to remind ford about one time use TTY engine hardware &#128528
A pcv (i think..) valve replaced

The noise seamed to go away over the mild winter here in yuma untill about 2 weeks ago when i heard it again. This time the water pump was replaced.
As of today the service manager listed to my car again and believes it to be piston slap. The car goes in monday.

Anyone on here have issues with piston slap?? Mine does it at operating temp after i have been driving for awhile. So its not just a startup issue.