Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT Track Pack: My MT82 Experience, Your Advice Please / First Scheduled Service

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/13, 12:38 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangray
Hi Deysha, would you be able to give us an engine part breakdown of which engine parts a Track Pack and Boss share since there is much contention on this subject on many forums.
Thanks for any info you can share with us
Unfortunately no, mustangray.

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I think you could be mistaken on this one..
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Ummm yea; agreed. Track pack now has forged pistons?
Since I’m not a tech or an engineer, I can only go by the info provided to me from my engineering sources and the info is limited, guys.

Deysha
Old 7/30/13, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering if the track pack has the same lower as the Boss and just different heads and intake. The compression ratio differ but that could be due to the heads.
Old 8/1/13, 09:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ssgthooligan
I've been wondering if the track pack has the same lower as the Boss and just different heads and intake. The compression ratio differ but that could be due to the heads.
The heads won't affect compression. The TP 5.0 is the exact same motor as the non-TP 5.0.
Old 8/2/13, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure no one has taken one apart to find out yet, but if the track package included a forged rotating assembly it would be much more than a $2,495 option. I would also think Ford would advertise that as a feature of the package.

So far it looks like the TP 5.0 has a different oil cap and possibly a different PCM calibration. I've seen somewhere that it may have the Boss oil pan, but I don't know if that's been proven yet.
Old 8/4/13, 10:13 AM
V6 Member

The track pack comes with the Boss oil cooler, radiator, rear end, and Brembos. As for Ford advertising if it were forged they didn't advertise that the Track Pack comes with its own Struts and Shocks. When I swapped Springs for the Boss ones I discovered them.
Old 8/13/13, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ssgthooligan
The track pack comes with the Boss oil cooler, radiator, rear end, and Brembos. As for Ford advertising if it were forged they didn't advertise that the Track Pack comes with its own Struts and Shocks. When I swapped Springs for the Boss ones I discovered them.
Track Pack includes those items Plus: Torsen limited slip, 3.73 gears, 19" wheels with one size wider Pirelli's, and the 5W-50 oil filler cap. The Brembo's with larger disk are only on the front.. stock disc brakes on the rear. Track pack doesn't affect the engine mechanical parts.
Old 8/14/13, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5_Ohhh
Track Pack includes those items Plus: Torsen limited slip, 3.73 gears, 19" wheels with one size wider Pirelli's, and the 5W-50 oil filler cap. The Brembo's with larger disk are only on the front.. stock disc brakes on the rear. Track pack doesn't affect the engine mechanical parts.
Exactly
Old 9/6/13, 09:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin
1. ..after the car's sat overnight will grind a little but it goes away quickly after that

2. ... The other thing I notice at the same time is a "bump" from the rear of the car as the shifter goes to 1st; also if I'm sitting on a level surface (like inside my garage), the "bump" is enough to move the car just a tiny bit (again, this is with the clutch to the floor). Now I can avoid this by waiting a few seconds after pushing in the clutch before shifting to 1st or by doing the old shift to 2nd and then quickly to 1st trick.
Howdy, Did you ever achieve resolution with this? I have my '14 TP and have nearly the exact same issues. I took mine to the dealer early on for the cold shifting issue and they found nothing. They wouldn't even swap the fluid when asked.

I now also have the 'thump' nearly as you describe. my observations:
It happens mostly when i shift into 2nd or 3rd while the clutch is fully disengaged and at light or with little or no throttle while moving. I can replicate it at a stop too as long as the brakes aren't applied and I shift into 1,2, or 3. If the brakes are applied there is no thump/clunk. it consistently seems to be coming from the mid to back half of the car and not the transmission exactly. nor do I feel it in the shifter.

Is this the clunk most people refer to as being part of the 2-piece shaft issue?

Morgan
Old 9/7/13, 07:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by y5e06

Howdy, Did you ever achieve resolution with this? I have my '14 TP and have nearly the exact same issues. I took mine to the dealer early on for the cold shifting issue and they found nothing. They wouldn't even swap the fluid when asked.

I now also have the 'thump' nearly as you describe. my observations:
It happens mostly when i shift into 2nd or 3rd while the clutch is fully disengaged and at light or with little or no throttle while moving. I can replicate it at a stop too as long as the brakes aren't applied and I shift into 1,2, or 3. If the brakes are applied there is no thump/clunk. it consistently seems to be coming from the mid to back half of the car and not the transmission exactly. nor do I feel it in the shifter.

Is this the clunk most people refer to as being part of the 2-piece shaft issue?

Morgan
Yep, two-piece driveshaft thing.
Old 9/7/13, 07:31 PM
GT Member

I've got the "clunk." I think its the two piece driveshaft... Feathering the throttle and careful
clutch work do seem to minimize the issue.

These cars do have quirks. Nothing compared to old jags, mgs, and other british or italian roadsters, though. I guess that (plus 420bhp) makes us lucky. LOL
Old 9/9/13, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by y5e06

I now also have the 'thump' nearly as you describe.
Originally Posted by thebms
I've got the "clunk." I think its the two piece driveshaft... Feathering the throttle and careful
clutch work do seem to minimize the issue.

These cars do have quirks. Nothing compared to old jags, mgs, and other british or italian roadsters, though. I guess that (plus 420bhp) makes us lucky. LOL
Hey guys,

I recommend you have them checked out at your dealer to make sure there’s nothing else going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 9/10/13, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hey guys,

I recommend you have them checked out at your dealer to make sure there’s nothing else going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Thank you (as always) Deysha.

I've asked the dealer to look into it on two occasions while the car was already in for other issues -- their diagnosis was that my car shifts like other MT82 mustangs and the noises and shift action are normal.

I still have plenty of warranty left, so I'm willing to accept that what I'm experiencing is probably just part of the car's personality and quirks and that if a problem develops over time I should be covered.

I've been thinking about trying an aftermarket bracket and/or shifter (probably Barton, who makes the FRPP model) to see if that helps -- many around here seem to think it will. Is this likely to cause a warranty problem down the road? Do you know or warranty claims that were denied due to the installation of an aftermarket shifter?
Old 9/11/13, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've asked the dealer to look into it on two occasions while the car was already in for other issues -- their diagnosis was that my car shifts like other MT82 mustangs and the noises and shift action are normal.

I still have plenty of warranty left, so I'm willing to accept that what I'm experiencing is probably just part of the car's personality and quirks and that if a problem develops over time I should be covered.

I've been thinking about trying an aftermarket bracket and/or shifter (probably Barton, who makes the FRPP model) to see if that helps -- many around here seem to think it will. Is this likely to cause a warranty problem down the road? Do you know or warranty claims that were denied due to the installation of an aftermarket shifter?
If you have a problem with the transmission, the shifter could possibly be blamed. However, the instances of true transmission problems seem very low - the majority of issues are shifter-related so I wouldn't worry about replacing that part.
Old 9/11/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I know this is probably what you have heard a hundred times but call your service department and ask. I talk to a manager for more piece of mind.
Old 9/12/13, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
If you have a problem with the transmission, the shifter could possibly be blamed. However, the instances of true transmission problems seem very low - the majority of issues are shifter-related so I wouldn't worry about replacing that part.
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I know this is probably what you have heard a hundred times but call your service department and ask. I talk to a manager for more piece of mind.
Hey thebms,

As kylerohde and Mr. V mentioned, aftermarket parts will not void “all” of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. This is why I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer (service manager) before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle, because some of them are very strict.

Ford Racing Parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. You can locate one of our FRPP authorized dealers here.

Deysha