Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Speaker Replacement recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Replacement recommendations

Well i opened my door to get in my car the other day in the rain and it blew my drivers side top speaker.

Instead of taking it into the dealer and letting them replace it with the same POS speaker that couldn't take a raindrop in the first place i have decieded to upgrade all of the speakers in the car anyways.

I am looking to keep the NAV head unit and was wondering if anyone knew how many watts RMS it putts out. I know that's kind of reach but i am looking to go low rms wattage with speakers anyways, I'm sure that head unit doesn't put out much.

Other than that does anyone who has the electronics package from a 2010 or 2011 have any recommendations on what new speakers to replace the old ones with?
Old 7/12/10, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my garage for what I have used. I really like the sound from my Boston Acoustics.

-danny
Old 7/12/10, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I was hoping to not have to run extra amps or anything that would complicate things, was really hoping for just a clean speaker swap.

What do you guys think about this setup has anyone had any experience with these?

replacement front upper door and rear deck panels
http://www.championmustang.com/moder...ir-p-1141.html

replacement 8" subs for the door kick panels
http://www.championmustang.com/moder...ir-p-1839.html

This looks to be the best option for a clean speaker swap without having to add or change out the factory amps.
Old 7/12/10, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Well i'm not one for patience, went ahead and order the speakers after finally finding someone with a 2010 nav system that just ordered the speakers i linked above and he said it sounded alot better.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what they sound like.
Old 7/14/10, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

i hear those speakers are prett6 wicked. the kickers were def youre best choice for the subs, but the speakers could have been obtained cheaper..oh well. for what its worth Ive been running pioneer 6x9's for about 4 years now(in my 05), and they were two years old when i got them - $20 a pair (on ebay) and the highs are untouchable
Old 7/15/10, 08:39 PM

I replaced mine with some Alpine SPS-507s off ebay, it was a huge upgrade, the harsh highs and buzzy mids are much improved.
Old 7/16/10, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I ended up cancelling the order and just going to take it into the dealer and let them replace the busted speaker, hopefully it won't happen again.

Those kickers were out of stock.
Old 7/16/10, 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofsting
i hear those speakers are prett6 wicked. the kickers were def youre best choice for the subs, but the speakers could have been obtained cheaper..oh well. for what its worth Ive been running pioneer 6x9's for about 4 years now(in my 05), and they were two years old when i got them - $20 a pair (on ebay) and the highs are untouchable
Don't listen to this. While good sound is subjective, there are so many better options.
Old 7/20/10, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

well pal, im running them off an infinity 6 channel, and while Im not looking to win any competitions, i was offering an affordable solution. frankly, i think my system sounds really good, and Im proud of all the hard work and effort i put into it. I could have gotten something more high-end...but its ultimately not worth it, unless you're an audio elitist.
Old 8/27/10, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
I was hoping to not have to run extra amps or anything that would complicate things, was really hoping for just a clean speaker swap.
What do you guys think about this setup has anyone had any experience with these?
replacement front upper door and rear deck panels
http://www.championmustang.com/moder...ir-p-1141.html
replacement 8" subs for the door kick panels
http://www.championmustang.com/moder...ir-p-1839.html
This looks to be the best option for a clean speaker swap without having to add or change out the factory amps.
I completed my first audio upgrade attempt last week. Put in the complete Shelby Kicker system for Shaker 500 w/o NAV. I like the new found low end bass from the 10" sub and the clean crisp clear highs from the 6x8s but somewhere in between is very lacking IMO. The Kicker 10CVT8-2 door subs are NOT loud enough to complement the sound from the other components. The factory subs were rated 1.2 ohm DVC 60 watt. The CVTs are 2 ohm SVC so are only drawing maybe half the power the factory subs pulled from the stock amps. I don't know what the amps are rated for but I'm guessing I'm only getting 25-30w per channel and into a 200w speaker just doesn't make sense to me. Rep at Kicker suggested replacing the factory sub amps with a 10ZX450.2. I don't see any way around new door sub amps since any 8" subs I can find for that shallow space are 2 or 4 ohm while 8" midbasses are 4 or 8 ohm and they just won't be getting enough power at those impedances from the factory sub amps. If I could find 2 ohm DVC 8" shallow mounts I'd try wiring them in parallel to get some juice out of the stock amps but they don't exist.
I'm happy with the Shelby Kicker 6x8s, the 10" sub and the new 4.1 amp that powers those components. I can't recommend their 8" door subs when powered by the factory amps though.