Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Raxiom backup camera fog

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/14, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raxiom backup camera fog

Does anyone else have the Raxiom Nav unit and noticed condensation inside the backup camera lens? It causes the picture on the screen to be absolutely unusable. It's just started happening. I can't tell if there's a way to pop the camera open and clean it and seal it, or if there's a way to even order a new camera if that needs to be the solution. Anyone?
Old 4/23/14, 12:41 PM
V6 Member

I just googled the specifications on that camera Rosen DP-1068 and it is not a waterproof camera. I was going to purchase the same camera to place in the front bumper so I have front and rear camera's but thinking about going with a waterproof one now. Just have to find one that has the s-video cable so it will be plug and play with no wire splicing just like the one that came with the raxiom navigation.

Last edited by rockpolisher; 4/23/14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 4/23/14, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rockpolisher
I just googled the specifications on that camera Rosen DP-1068 and it is not a waterproof camera. I was going to purchase the same camera to place in the front bumper so I have front and rear camera's but thinking about going with a waterproof one now. Just have to find one that has the s-video cable so it will be plug and play with no wire splicing just like the one that came with the raxiom navigation.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm looking as well. If you find anything of interest please let me know.
Old 4/23/14, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

If I were to get a replacement of the same one, if I carefully take silicone or something and seal up all the cracks of everything as best I can, I wonder if I'd be able to keep that condensation and moisture out of there? It's just so small it might be difficult to do cleanly. I actually like the camera and the mounting position on my car. I just want to have a functioning camera again.
Old 4/23/14, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Maybe try using a heat gun or blow dryer to get rid of the moisture or condensation that is trapped inside and then sealing it with silicone. I don't really like the mounting location because it sits pretty much flush with the rear bumper and I was driving the other day while it was raining and when I put it in reverse, there was drops of water from the rain on the lens. I could not see anything on the screen, just a blurry watery screen lol. I'm trying to see if I can replace it with a license plate camera so it will be recessed in and not sit flush with the bumper. Then move the camera that was included with the navigation to the front bumper. I actually called American Muscle about this and they said it is not possible. Hmmmm I dunno.
Old 4/23/14, 05:48 PM

Ugh...Hate to hear that you are having his problem Flynavy. I have this unit setting in my kitchen awaiting install this weekend!
Old 4/23/14, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Alittleamused
Ugh...Hate to hear that you are having his problem Flynavy. I have this unit setting in my kitchen awaiting install this weekend!
It only recently did this. I've had this since it came out last year and it has been fine until now. I love the unit. No problems other than this. I'm also having another problem now but it's not related to the raxiom unit. My iPhone and sync are disagreeing quite often now. I used to be able to switch tracks in Bluetooth audio through the steering wheel or radio controls but now the phone doesn't respond to next track or pause/play inputs from the radio. And it's not the buttons because they function in every other input. It also now doesn't stop reminding me that 911 assist is off even though I've set it to be off without reminders in settings. I've tried a master reset, pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery, restarting the phone...everything. I'm going to have to connect my Samsung Galaxy Tablet and see if it allows for control of its audio at all. Then I'll know whether it's sync or iOS related. But anywayyyyy

Last edited by flynavy; 4/23/14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5/6/14, 05:41 PM

Flynavy,
Any updates on the issues you were having? I went ahead and installed this unit but cannot keep a satellite signal. Tried resetting, no luck. Unable to update SD card because naviextras only supports windows and not IOS. So far I am disappointed.
Old 5/6/14, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Flynavy, Any updates on the issues you were having? I went ahead and installed this unit but cannot keep a satellite signal. Tried resetting, no luck. Unable to update SD card because naviextras only supports windows and not IOS. So far I am disappointed.
I ended up just getting a replacement camera off eBay. Haven't installed it yet. We had a ridiculous amount of rain here in Pensacola last week and it got a lot of water so it's done now. Can't even see out of it. The new camera though, I took some clear silicone and tried to seal all the little gaps and around the lens to see if I can keep condensation out of this one. We'll see if it works long term.

I haven't tried to update my maps and whatnot but I haven't had a problem locking on to any satellites not have I had any trouble keeping the lock. I haven't looked into updating anything but is there a way to use someone else's windows computer and loading it onto your SD card?

Last edited by flynavy; 5/6/14 at 05:56 PM.
Old 5/6/14, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by flynavy
I ended up just getting a replacement camera off eBay. Haven't installed it yet. We had a ridiculous amount of rain here in Pensacola last week and it got a lot of water so it's done now. Can't even see out of it. The new camera though, I took some clear silicone and tried to seal all the little gaps and around the lens to see if I can keep condensation out of this one. We'll see if it works long term.

I haven't tried to update my maps and whatnot but I haven't had a problem locking on to any satellites not have I had any trouble keeping the lock. I haven't looked into updating anything but is there a way to use someone else's windows computer and loading it onto your SD card?
Yes, I suppose but what a PITA huh? Good to know a replacement camera CAN be used and thank god my husband is a aircraft mechanic so when the factory camera fails the replacent install will be a piece of cake disappointing to spend $xxx.xx and have to buy a replacement less than a year later.
Old 5/6/14, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, I suppose but what a PITA huh? Good to know a replacement camera CAN be used and thank god my husband is a aircraft mechanic so when the factory camera fails the replacent install will be a piece of cake disappointing to spend $xxx.xx and have to buy a replacement less than a year later.
Agreed. It's honestly my only complaint about the system.
Old 3/4/15, 06:26 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rockpolisher
Were you able to find another camera to replace the Raxiom camera? I'm wanting to do the same thing.
Old 3/18/15, 04:51 PM
GT Member

you can use any backup camera and splice a SVideo cable end on it. I got a factory backup camera spoiler off of ebay and just spliced an Svideo cable on it and it plugs right in.
Old 3/18/15, 04:55 PM
GT Member

And BTW for your install yes yes you can use the factory satellite radio antenna on the trunk for the navigation and the Sat radio. I made a splitter cable (you can get one on Ebay if needed I can find links if you want) and just split it without cutting anything and it works great for the Nav and Radio.
Old 5/19/15, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by keltymd
you can use any backup camera and splice a SVideo cable end on it. I got a factory backup camera spoiler off of ebay and just spliced an Svideo cable on it and it plugs right in.
It would be nice to see a diagram or picture of how to do this.

And BTW for your install yes yes you can use the factory satellite radio antenna on the trunk for the navigation and the Sat radio. I made a splitter cable (you can get one on Ebay if needed I can find links if you want) and just split it without cutting anything and it works great for the Nav and Radio.
I would be interested in seeing this part. I'm debating between the Raxiom or just going with a Kenwood or Pioneer head unit in my car. I wonder if the splitter will work with these head units as well.
Old 5/20/15, 05:20 AM
GT Member

I will try to put together a diagram and a list of the connectors I used.
Old 5/20/15, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I will try to put together a diagram and a list of the connectors I used.
Awesome.
Old 5/20/15, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Easiest way would be to remove the plastic cover in the cable from the antenna (fakes connector) what you are left with is an sma connector male. Then buy this on fleabay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=330913770005

SMA female to Y type 2X TS9 male Splitter Combiner cable pigtail RG174 6" 1F2M