Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Need Help with Wiring Interior LEDS

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/15, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help with Wiring Interior LEDS

So my buddy's bday is coming up and I wanted to suprise him with this lighting kit but I don't know how to wire it into his car. :

Amazon.com: 4pc. Multi-Color 7 Color LED Interior Underdash Lighting Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: 4pc. Multi-Color 7 Color LED Interior Underdash Lighting Kit: Automotive

I looked on the forums but didn't find a DIY tutorial. If anyone could offer me some help that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 3/9/15, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it just needs to be hooked up with a switch to turn it on. You could get fancy and hook it to a switch or to the parking lights to trigger a relay to turn them on. The simple way would be to run the power directly from the battery or fuse box with a switc to turn them on.
Old 3/10/15, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by clucas
Looks like it just needs to be hooked up with a switch to turn it on. You could get fancy and hook it to a switch or to the parking lights to trigger a relay to turn them on. The simple way would be to run the power directly from the battery or fuse box with a switc to turn them on.

So I will be using that method (Wiring from the Control Box from the LED Kit directly to the fuse fox.. Does anybody know what size fuse I would need to get (2014 V6 Mustang. I believe it's mini?). I wanted to also remove the fuse from a switch power rather than a constant supply. Does anybody know which fuse is switched?
Old 3/11/15, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
search ambient lighting in the forums.. lots of info.
Old 3/11/15, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Alternatively, wire it to a "cigarette lighter" (old name) adaptor (power port adaptor?) and plug it in when needed.
The power ports may be switched, I am not sure.
If you are going to wire it to anything, use a dome light wire, and if you are adding a fuse, it does not have to be a "mini-fuse" - a separate fuse of 1 or 2 amps should suffice. The instructions should say what the power draw is - I doubt it is much.
Old 3/12/15, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
i added ambient lighting to my car, my controller isnt necessarily made for a car but its 12v so it doesnt really even matter.

you dont have to add it to cigarette lighter and plug in when you want it, thats a terrible idea . Thats what things like relays are for a relay is basically an automatic switch.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...7/#post6757005

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 3/12/15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Springer200
Alternatively, wire it to a "cigarette lighter" (old name) adaptor (power port adaptor?) and plug it in when needed.
The power ports may be switched, I am not sure.
If you are going to wire it to anything, use a dome light wire, and if you are adding a fuse, it does not have to be a "mini-fuse" - a separate fuse of 1 or 2 amps should suffice. The instructions should say what the power draw is - I doubt it is much.
I wanted to wire it to the fusebox rather than the cigarette lighter so the setup would be much cleaner.

The reason why I ask for the size is because there are specific fuse sizes for cars and I wanted to know what the size is for the mustang. I don't have access to his car to do this now so if anyone would know that would be awesome.

The link to the different fuse sizes for the expandable circuit:
http://www.ledunderbody.com/Expandab...-Amp-Fuse.aspx

Also does anybody have the fuse diagram for the 2014 V6 Mustang?
Old 3/12/15, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
you dont have to add it to cigarette lighter and plug in when you want it, thats a terrible idea . Thats what things like relays are for a relay is basically an automatic switch.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...7/#post6757005
I know what a relay is, but I am not sure the original poster does, nor is a relay needed. My thinking on my "cig adaptor" recommendation is - that this is not his car, and he has very limited experience with wiring. What if the guy hates it, or, like me, would not want someone else wiring on his car, evan as a gift?

I guess the fuse tap achieves the same purpose as a cig plug, but I got the feeling that he was not that familiar with using a fuse tap, and a relay is way over his skill level (and probably not needed for this, as I am thinking that the dome light circuit could easily handle the added current draw unless that LED controller draws some stupid amount of power).

My thinking was that if he had a "test light" and a basic understanding of wiring, he wouldn't be asking these questions. I am not trying to bash him, or discourage basic questions - that is how you learn. My apologies if my assumptions on skill level are incorrect, as its difficult to judge skill level in a posting.

Last edited by Springer200; 3/12/15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 3/17/15, 12:23 PM

Soo can anyone answer my question lol? What fuse size do I need to get for the expandable circuit and which fuse has a switched power supply that I should use?