'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Kicker Soundgate Power stage

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/12, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
It's a single 12w3 in a sealed enclosure. It's not going to get very loud, but still sound decent. I have a single Hertz HX300 12" in my Escape, in a sealed 1.0 cube enclosure. Same thing. Decently loud for what it is, but I've had louder. I've had two in there, and it's just over powering (in a hatchback, versus a trunk car, you get cabin gain as the shared air space is compressed). Bottom line, the stealthboxes are designed to fill in the low end of music, not to pound down the block. If you want that, you're going to have to go custom in your truck
I did go custom in the truck - just utilized a stealth box that replaced my front middle seat so as not to lose passenger area. I know a trunk buys me more space, but I don't want to add a ton more weight or give up half the trunk to meet my goal. So, I guess I will have to find a happy balance and realize I am closer to 40 than 20 and get a stealth box. :-)
Old 12/31/12, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT

I did go custom in the truck - just utilized a stealth box that replaced my front middle seat so as not to lose passenger area. I know a trunk buys me more space, but I don't want to add a ton more weight or give up half the trunk to meet my goal. So, I guess I will have to find a happy balance and realize I am closer to 40 than 20 and get a stealth box. :-)
Oh gotcha, you were asking about your 2014 that's on order. Didn't catch that. When I was in the market, I was going to buy a stealthbox, take the w3 out and sell it, then put something else in there, possibly an Incriminator Audio Flatlyne or possibly something from AE Speakers, or even a Dayton HO12. Basically something a) beefier and b) with better sq, that would work in that enclosure. Then I was going to do the 8" mids in the doors, possibly JL ZR800 or the new illusion audio 8" mids.
Old 1/2/13, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

As laserred put it, its nice and clean, but it's not going to rattle your skull around. It does kick in where you can feel it when playing music with base to it. For me it is the happy medium where you get clean audio that is still powerful enough to feel it, but not so overwhelming that if you were to have it on all day you will get a headache.

So i like it for my taste, but if you like the bass to shake you around, you will want to go another route.
Old 1/2/13, 09:22 AM
V6 Member

Thanks! I will probably end up going the JL route, but will most likely run a class D dedicated amp to it pushing near 600w rms. the set up in my truck is a 5 channel and I don't think it's pushing the woofer hard enough but does sound clean and still gets pretty loud.
Old 1/2/13, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sealed enclosures usually give you more accuracy at the expense of impact. A ported box will hit harder but also take up roughly double the space if its built to spec. The port noise also gives many people the perception of more base. If you are looking for more hit from your bass, box selection over an amp change may help. Ported boxes also require less overall power.
Old 1/2/13, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks! I will probably end up going the JL route, but will most likely run a class D dedicated amp to it pushing near 600w rms. the set up in my truck is a 5 channel and I don't think it's pushing the woofer hard enough but does sound clean and still gets pretty loud.
You can get 5ch with class D amps built in. What kind of music do you listen to? Also, every stealthbox is different, so the experience you had with your truck will not necessarily be the same as your Mustang...
Old 1/2/13, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Sealed enclosures usually give you more accuracy at the expense of impact. A ported box will hit harder but also take up roughly double the space if its built to spec. The port noise also gives many people the perception of more base. If you are looking for more hit from your bass, box selection over an amp change may help. Ported boxes also require less overall power.
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with part
Of the above... Sealed hits "harder@ i.e. more accurate but requires more power than a ported box which is typically louder. Otherwise fully agree. The basics have stayed the same since working for circuit city in the 90's. Many new brands, and of course digital technology. I have had everything from free air to ported to sealed.
Old 1/2/13, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with part
Of the above... Sealed hits "harder@ i.e. more accurate but requires more power than a ported box which is typically louder. Otherwise fully agree. The basics have stayed the same since working for circuit city in the 90's. Many new brands, and of course digital technology. I have had everything from free air to ported to sealed.
Lol, you worked at circuit in the 90s! Small world. I was a district trainer for them for audio and a car installer for them in the 90s and the early 2000s. I'm not questioning your answer but I don't get what you don't agree with. You are saying that you feel sealed boxes hit harder or that sealed requires less power or both?

Last edited by Mr. V; 1/2/13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 1/2/13, 11:10 AM
V6 Member

Lol, you worked at circuit in the 90s! Small world. I was a district trainer for them for audio and a car installer for them. I'm not questioning your answer but I don't get what you don't agree with. You are saying that you feel sealed boxes hit harder or that sealed requires less power or both?
...."expense of impact". Maybe I misunderstood? :-)
Old 1/2/13, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

...."expense of impact". Maybe I misunderstood? :-)
Ok. I get what your saying. No, you didn't misunderstand. I didn't really state it clearly. You are correct that as far as impact they should be relatively equal. I have argued my point to sound engineers who agree with you. They have stated my opinion of more impact from ported comes from my perception of port noise as impact. So my double standard answer is yes. You are correct and I am wrong but I feel most people will perceive ported as hitting harder. I should have stated it as perceived impact versus actual.
Old 1/2/13, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Ok. I get what your saying. No, you didn't misunderstand. I didn't really state it clearly. You are correct that as far as impact they should be relatively equal. I have argued my point to sound engineers who agree with you. They have stated my opinion of more impact from ported comes from my perception of port noise as impact. So my double standard answer is yes. You are correct and I am wrong but I feel most people will perceive ported as hitting harder. I should have stated it as perceived impact versus actual.
From one audio "junkie" to another. Cheers!
Old 1/2/13, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

In my SN95, I have a baffle/rear seat delete and two custom made infinite baffle subs by PSi. They will make you anything you want, in any color or material you want. This setup worked great for me because a) IB setups are greatly efficient, b) the sound quality is really good and blends amazingly with my front stage, and c) it keeps weight down by not having a heavy wood (or in the SB case, fiberglass) enclosure that you have to bolt down etc. Also, since the baffle is sealed and bolted to the frame, it added a little rigidity to the structure of the car, and keeps the road noise from the trunk out! Win win all around, and if you're after good sound with an efficient use of your available power, and you're not going to use your rear seats, go IB! You could also mount a baffle behind the rear seats, but you'll have to get creative in bolting it in and sealing it from the cabin...