'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Kicker Soundgate Power stage

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/12, 10:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker Soundgate Power stage

Has anyone installed this on their rides? (sorry no link, as kickers site doesn't offer much information on it). But basically, the set i'm looking at is Kicker replacements for the front and rear speakers with a 10" sub that is built to fit in the trunk and bolt into existing holes. This also comes with a multi channel amp. For my budget, this is what my local shop recommends. I'm not looking for something huge (like the JL audio setup that he was putting in his Saleen (about $6k setup)), I am just looking to get crisp sound with good highs, and reasonable lows.
Old 11/12/12, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Sounds like the Shelby Kicker upgrade....but it is still pricey
Old 11/12/12, 04:35 PM
V6 Member

It is a bit pricey, but as it comes with the Ford connectors and mounts, I think the convenience may just be worth it. The other options I was looking at wouldn't have saved me much once you add in all of the extra brackets and wiring. So I think I am going to try this out, I just wish I could find some reviews on it online, not that i don't trust the shop, just prefer to have insight from someone who isn't trying to sell me something. If I order these tomorrow I should have them in by the end of the month, and will write up a full review on it.
Old 11/13/12, 09:45 AM
GT Member

http://www.shelbystore.com/category-s/61.htm
Old 11/16/12, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
Has anyone installed these on a 2013? It says the sub only fits up to a 2010 and the speakers up to a 2011. Just curious if they would fit the '13 as well.
Old 11/17/12, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

I have placed the order (got a much better deal than that website), except I ordered it without the 8"s, I will replace those later on. I recommend ordering through a local shop if you are looking at these as they will ensure to order you the right parts from kicker to fit. The shop i am ordering through has told me that they have done some 2013's already (shoed pics, but couldn't verify model year from those). So I am sure they will, but just to make sure, order from a local shop so that it is on them to get the right parts in and you don't waste your time and money potentially getting in something that doesn't fit right.

I will write up a review once i get these in and installed.
Old 11/20/12, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Looking forward to your review of the kicker setup i too have been thinking of maybe upgradeing
Old 11/29/12, 08:45 AM
GT Member

I have purchased the front 6x8 speakers and hopefully will have them installed this weekend. I hear great things about these.
Old 11/30/12, 10:28 PM
V6 Member

Ok, so after installing this setup with the front and rear speakers, Kicker releases that the kit that had stated 2012 + mustangs, now only supports 2012 with a different set to support 2013 coming out sometime in January....

If you own a 2013 you have to wait for this.

So after installing, whenever turning the car on, the speakers pop, rather loudly too. On top of this, if you turn the volume off (or really low) you hear a constant static. Added on to that, there is also a constant ticking sound. If you turn the stereo up, you don't hear this, and the audio is great! it is a wonderful upgrade, but for the reasons listed above I had them take the Sound Stage package out (keeping the front and rear speakers).

The speakers do help to clean up the audio, but they really do need more to provide the quality that I am looking for. So the options I was given were to wait until Kicker released their setup for the 2013, or to go with a slightly different JL audio setup with a more powerful 5 channel amp and a 13" sub.

Well as Kicker doesn't even have an official release date, i decided to go the JL route and will get these parts in and installed mid to end of December. With this, I will be planning out a new mod where we implant a tablet into the car with the stereo. From here we will tie the tablet into the car systems to control things like the heating and AC, and be able to look over diagnostics of the car (this part with the tablet is going to take some custom programming and a lot of extra planning and work, so it will probably be a while before this comes to fruition).

Overall, i really like the audio quality of the Kicker Soundstage, but it just isn't ment for my car yet, so I am taking a different route (which is more adjustable for future mods).
Old 12/1/12, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The popping is probably due to a bad ground somewhere. I had that happen when I first started installing my own stuff. You can add a couple of amps and wire them to get the signal from the rear speakers (not the preferred method) but the best way is to go with an aftermarket head unit but that is a large endeavor as you need the adapter panel. Speakers will always sound the best when amplified to within the recommended range of the manufacturer. You can't get that from a stock head unit. Even as small as 20 more watts of power makes all the difference. A nice 4 channel and a mono amp with the Kicker box would be nice. You will have to do some more research though. Good luck.
Old 12/2/12, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

That's part of what made the Kicker deal appealing, is it came with an amp for the Sub and an amp for the rest of the speakers (with digital eq). The poping when i turned the car on was the least of my concerns (which weren't that big to begin with) it was mainly the ticking that I just couldn't stand. So in the meantime, i have kept the front and rear kicker speakers, and am waiting to get the JL parts in (5 channel amp, wiring, base **** and 13.5" stealthbox sub.

That being said, if there are any issues with this JL setup, I have an old Kenwood mono amp and two 10" subs that i can add in. They are in just simple boxes and don't look appealing, so I was hoping to avoid putting those into the mustang. I will see what we get when the parts come in and let you know the plan from there.
Old 12/3/12, 09:52 AM
GT Member

So did you return the rest of the Kicker equipment?
Old 12/4/12, 02:56 PM
V6 Member

Yes, i kept the speakers, and returned the amps, sub, and wiring. So now i just have the kicker speakers, stock 8" mid bass woofers, powered from the stock head unit. The speakers definately need more power though. Though part of me is happier now as the kicker was a 10" sub, and the new JL that I am getting is going to be a 13.5".

Tweeters and 8" replacements will be for next years project (assuming i can get this one worked out).
Old 12/7/12, 05:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which JL sub did you end up getting? What wattage are you going to run on it as well? On my last system I ran an MTX 1000W single channel mono, on a 10" MTX Pro comp sub, in a custom slot ported box in a hatchback I had and everyone could swear it sounded like a couple of 15's. You could see the door panels expand while standing outside with it buttoned up. I know you aren't going for that much but it's amazing what you can do with very little.
Old 12/7/12, 09:00 AM
V6 Member

I'm going with the Stealth box, it is a 13.5" sub rated for 600 Watts with 2Ohm impeedance. The Amp I am running to it (for now) is going to be the 300Watt channel from the 5 channel 700 watt (JL XD700/5).

This is the first step for me, just cleaning up the audio and giving me the full range (minus good high end). My current plans for the next step are going to be to take that 300 Watt channel and send it to the 8" mids while moving the other two channels that were going to the mids to some tweeters (still debating what to run where though). Then adding in a Kenwood 1000 Watt class D mono amp (KAC-8105D) that I have (currently not in use) to the Sub.
Old 12/7/12, 09:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by the dudeness
I'm going with the Stealth box, it is a 13.5" sub rated for 600 Watts with 2Ohm impeedance. The Amp I am running to it (for now) is going to be the 300Watt channel from the 5 channel 700 watt (JL XD700/5).

This is the first step for me, just cleaning up the audio and giving me the full range (minus good high end). My current plans for the next step are going to be to take that 300 Watt channel and send it to the 8" mids while moving the other two channels that were going to the mids to some tweeters (still debating what to run where though). Then adding in a Kenwood 1000 Watt class D mono amp (KAC-8105D) that I have (currently not in use) to the Sub.
You wouldn't really want to use the sub channel on that amp for the 8s. It's a mono signal. The range that the mods play, you will be able to hear them playing the same notes and it will sound "off." I get what you're trying to do, but it will be noticeable enough. I guess you could always try it out, but I would sell both amps, get the HD 900/5 and then get another 2ch amp for the 8s.

Btw, the sub in the stealthbox is a W3.
Old 12/24/12, 01:02 PM
V6 Member

So i finally got the parts in and installed now. So far it sounds amazing. I have a bass **** and wiring run, I just havn't mounted it yet. I will be mounting it over by the headlight **** to keep it tucked away and less noticeable while still having easy access to adjust the bass level of the sub.

The audio is much cleaner now and i don't have all of "noise" being played out of the speakers that I was hearing with the stock (it wasn't bad, but noticeable to me). I'll get a picture of the stealthbox up later today, we hid the amp behind it, so its all tucked away nicely and i can still use the trunk.
Old 12/28/12, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

Here is the StealthBox. please ignore the sand bags in the back there, its winter time here in the midwest.

Side note, the sand bags with snow tires are amazing! my mustang handles better than my mothers expidition in 4-wheel drive with regular tires for normal driving in the winter weather.
Attached Thumbnails Kicker Soundgate Power stage-2012-12-24_23-08-53_606.jpg  
Old 12/31/12, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

dudeness - how do you feel the base is as far as "skull shaking". I ask this because I spent really good $ on a JL stealth box and full custom system for my F-250. As the bass is VERY accurate and the system sounds VERY clear using aftermarket wiring to all speakers, it is not as loud as I would like. I have had everything from 2 12", 2 10" subs to a 12" solobaric and now the solo JL sub - with the Kicker solobaric hitting the hardest. What are your opinions of this for a bass junkie?

By the way - I had 8" Kicker door speakers in my '06 and they sounded great.

Thanks!
Old 12/31/12, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT
dudeness - how do you feel the base is as far as "skull shaking". I ask this because I spent really good $ on a JL stealth box and full custom system for my F-250. As the bass is VERY accurate and the system sounds VERY clear using aftermarket wiring to all speakers, it is not as loud as I would like. I have had everything from 2 12", 2 10" subs to a 12" solobaric and now the solo JL sub - with the Kicker solobaric hitting the hardest. What are your opinions of this for a bass junkie?

By the way - I had 8" Kicker door speakers in my '06 and they sounded great.

Thanks!
It's a single 12w3 in a sealed enclosure. It's not going to get very loud, but still sound decent. I have a single Hertz HX300 12" in my Escape, in a sealed 1.0 cube enclosure. Same thing. Decently loud for what it is, but I've had louder. I've had two in there, and it's just over powering (in a hatchback, versus a trunk car, you get cabin gain as the shared air space is compressed). Bottom line, the stealthboxes are designed to fill in the low end of music, not to pound down the block. If you want that, you're going to have to go custom in your truck

Quick Reply: Kicker Soundgate Power stage