Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Hill Assist Control??

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/13, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
I tested it once and it seemed to hold for much longer than 2s (obviously I wasnt giving it any gas/releasing the clutch)...definitely a nice feature! My parking garage exit is a ramp going up to the road so this gets used at least once a day. And here I was for the last 10yrs (last car) messing with the gas/clutch to hold my position like a fool!
Hope you're kidding - what an awesome way to wear out your clutch that was if not!

I'm ok with this feature, though I don't have a desire for it. It's the automatic rev-matching of the Nissan 370Z and new Corvette that I hate. If you want the car to do that for you, just buy an automatic or one with paddle shifters.
Old 5/1/13, 09:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jbleile
Does anyone know if the 2014 GT Premium Convertible with manual transmission has the hill assist control? I'm in the Seattle area and this would be great... we have some significant hills around here.
Originally Posted by elkk
Yes it does and I like it. It can be disabled if u desire.
Originally Posted by y5e06
I've been driving a manual most of my life. My '14 is the first car I've owned with Hill Start Assist. Its great! I usually don't like extra nanny-features but I've come to really like this one. I have no plans to turn mine off.
As other’s have mentioned, it does have this feature, jbleile.

Deysha
Old 9/5/13, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a secret step to disabling hill start assist on a 2014? Used the procedure from the owner's manual, both in key on/engine on and key on/ engine off modes, in several attempts, but no success. Any ideas?
Old 9/5/13, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried to disable the Hill Assist and have failed.
Here is the procedure from the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual V3.

Disabling and Enabling the Hill Start Assist Feature
Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.
The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.

1. Apply the parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear. brake pedal is completely released each time.
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.

When the procedure has been completed successfully, the ABS icon in the instrument cluster will flash:
three times indicating that the feature has been disabled.
twice indicating it has been enabled.

Once the feature is programmed as desired, it will remain in that mode until the above procedure is repeated.

Note: When the AdvanceTrac® system is disabled (see the Traction Control chapter in your owner’s manual for information on how to do this), the hill start assist feature is also disabled for the duration that the AdvanceTrac® system is in that mode. Re-enabling AdvanceTrac® will also re-enable hill start assist.

Note: If you have used the above procedure to disable the hill start assist feature, then enabling or disabling AdvanceTrac® will not effect the hill start assist system.
Old 9/6/13, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jbleile
Does anyone know if the 2014 GT Premium Convertible with manual transmission has the hill assist control? I'm in the Seattle area and this would be great... we have some significant hills around here.

I drive a v6 2014 6spd manual....it works just fine.
Old 9/6/13, 03:17 PM

From what I have read thus far, no one has successfully disabled hill start assist, even after several attempts following the procedure outlined in the owner's manual. There must be a missing step. Calling powertrain engineering...
Old 9/7/13, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Why would you want to disable it? I "know" how to drive, but not having to use the e-brake, or having to engage the clutch just right, is fine with me.
Old 9/7/13, 07:08 PM

Old school, I guess. 40 years of manual transmissions and certain habits become ingrained. Plus, I drive other manual transmission vehicles and I prefer consistency. More importantly, my driveway is on a significant grade, and I often just coast the car back into the street. With the hill assist, there is a 2-3 second delay before the brakes release, and I just don't like that.
Old 9/7/13, 09:49 PM
GT Member

The hill assist responds to engine RPM as well as releasing after a set time. If you don't want to wait, just blip the throttle.
Old 9/7/13, 10:05 PM
Cobra Member

Mines doesn't always engage on a hill. I would say most of the time it doesn't work. My driveway has an incline and it works all the time when I stop on it but to be honest It doesn't bother me if its not working all the time. I'm use to not having hill assist.
Old 9/9/13, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sm267
Does anyone know if there is a secret step to disabling hill start assist on a 2014? Used the procedure from the owner's manual, both in key on/engine on and key on/ engine off modes, in several attempts, but no success. Any ideas?
Originally Posted by Snoopy49
I have tried to disable the Hill Assist and have failed.
Here is the procedure from the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual V3.
Hi sm267,

The steps provided by Snoopy49, are the same as in your 2014 Owner's Manual (2nd Printing).

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Mines doesn't always engage on a hill. I would say most of the time it doesn't work. My driveway has an incline and it works all the time when I stop on it but to be honest It doesn't bother me if its not working all the time. I'm use to not having hill assist.
Bring it in to your dealer and have it looked at, Michael Broadway. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it.

Deysha
Old 9/9/13, 10:13 AM

Hey Deysha,

Several attempts following the procedure in manual without success. I thought there might be an unpublished hint out there. I'll try again. Thanks!
Old 9/9/13, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
First world problem. 2013 and above with manual transmissions all have hill assist people. Learn to drive.
Ford specifically states in the owner's manual not to use the clutch/gas to hold the vehicle on the grade. That's what Hill Assist is for. Can you do it the old fashion way? Certainly. But it shortens the life of your clutch.
Old 9/9/13, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Hill assist is there to give you a chance to transition your feet from clutch and brake to clutch and throttle without the car rolling backward on an incline.

This is my first manual with it and it has taken some time to get used to. Having the car stay stationary for a moment with clutch in and brake off was startling the first few times I started off on a hill.

The manual cautions against slipping the clutch and working the throttle to keep the car in place on an incline. Definitely a bad practice unless you like replacing clutch innards.
Old 9/9/13, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordService

Bring it in to your dealer and have it looked at, Michael Broadway. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha! But I'm heading out the country for a few months soon and it really doesn't bother me. I might have them check it out sometime in the future but not worried about it right now.
Old 9/10/13, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by sm267
Hey Deysha,
Several attempts following the procedure in manual without success. I thought there might be an unpublished hint out there. I'll try again. Thanks!
No problem, sm267! You should consult this with your Service Manager and get back to me.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Thanks Deysha! But I'm heading out the country for a few months soon and it really doesn't bother me. I might have them check it out sometime in the future but not worried about it right now.
You’re welcome, Ajcruz1! Stay safe out there.

Deysha
Old 9/17/13, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow that is a crazy procedure to enable or disable that feature. In my ST its just an option in the menus displayed on the screen between the gauges.

I left it enabled, because just like power windows... I'm capable of doing it myself, but it's not a "fun" part of driving, so why not let the computer handle it.