Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Electronics Package screen DVD/Video capable?

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/12, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronics Package screen DVD/Video capable?

So here's my second question since my introduction.

When my new V6 Coupe w/ Tech Package gets here in a couple weeks... I was wondering something. The screen for the MyFord Touch... will it play a DVD?

I noticed in the center console there are yellow, red, white female hookups for a possible video source. If the in-dash cd player won't play video format... Can I hook a source to those in the console and stream to the screen? Otherwise, what's their purpose?
Old 11/9/12, 09:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine plays DVDs (when the car is not in motion) but I only have sync not MyFord Touch
Old 11/9/12, 09:37 PM

So with a little more research I've answered my own question. With the proper cable and the Audio set to A/V In it should stream video to the screen.

So I will update my question:

How can I override the "must be in park to watch video" part of this very cool feature? There HAS to be a way... and I trust someone will share.
Old 11/9/12, 09:39 PM
MOTM Committee Member

http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

don't know if they have one for the 2013s
Old 11/9/12, 10:05 PM

Ah, interesting! Expensive, and probably out of my league to install. But definitely a solution if it works for the 13's.

Thanks!
Old 11/9/12, 11:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

don't know if they have one for the 2013s
The same one for the 10-12 works for the '13. They also have a model for MFT if you have a vehicle equipped with it.
Old 11/9/12, 11:10 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
The same one for the 10-12 works for the '13. They also have a model for MFT if you have a vehicle equipped with it.
Thanks for the info Steve. I kinda want one of these, but the price is steep
Old 11/10/12, 12:57 AM

Ok. Now I'm confused again. My Mustang is coming with the Tech package. That should be MyFord Touch, and Sync right?

So which version would I need?

Another question:
I had an 08 Subaru Impreza with touch screen Nav. It had the same safety feature. But it could be fooled by using something to barely lift up the parking brake (my wallet). Just like a quarter inch, enough to turn the warning light near the gauges on, but not nearly enough to engage the brake. The car would think it was parked and video would play.

I wonder if the same trick will work with my new Mustang.
Old 11/10/12, 07:13 AM

Answered my own question again, LoL.

No MyFord Touch available in the Mustangs at all. And since Nav is only available in the Premium... I guess there won't be any movie watching in my car.

That sucks. Useless video input in the console will just sit there looking stupid.
Old 11/10/12, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aphai
Answered my own question again, LoL.

No MyFord Touch available in the Mustangs at all. And since Nav is only available in the Premium... I guess there won't be any movie watching in my car.

That sucks. Useless video input in the console will just sit there looking stupid.
OK... somebody has to ask... why would you need to watch videos in the car?
Old 11/10/12, 06:28 PM

Any number of reasons. We camp a lot. Long trips with my son over to Ft. Myers, he might have liked being able to watch something on the way over. Some reasons based in vanity, LoL. Oh well... I'm still gonna love the car. Just will have to concentrate more on performance than anything else. Oh darn.
Old 11/10/12, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
I know I can watch while stopped with the Navigation, passes time while waiting for the other half at the mall.
Old 11/12/12, 02:09 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

the tech pack does not include navigation.

Tech package:

Electronics package:
Old 11/12/12, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Can someone explain the difference between MyFord Touch and my touch screen Navigation system? The descriptions sound identical.
Old 11/12/12, 10:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDisney
Can someone explain the difference between MyFord Touch and my touch screen Navigation system? The descriptions sound identical.
The nav available in the Electronics Package is the 1st generation navigation. It is a DVD based solution that was equipped with Sync and Sirius Travel Link. MyFord Touch is the 2nd gen infotainment, with an SD card based navigation and a more integrated user interface in terms of radio, HVAC, and navigation. MFT typically also has fewer redundant controls and uses touch panel based buttons, instead of a more traditional, physical button setup.

Mustang (1st Gen) Electronics Package:

MyFord Touch (shown in a 2013 Fusion):
Old 11/13/12, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
My wife's Edge has the Mytouch.

Its neat, but I much prefer physical buttons for the HVAC and radio. I hate having to scroll the menus to get to the appropriate screen to turn up the heat or switch on the heated seats. I am looking at the screen when I should be looking at the road. Physical buttons are much better IMO.
Old 11/14/12, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
The nav in the Mustang works and MyFord Touch doesn't. LOL That's the main difference. MyFord Touch is buggy, laggy, locks up all the time, and does all kinds of other unpleasant things. The electronics package nav is actually hard drive based, and it's manufactured by Clarion. MyFord Touch uses an SD card for the map database and doesn't have the hard drive music library capability. I, for one, am glad the Mustang still uses the old school nav and doesn't have the cookie cutter MyFord Touch instrument cluster like virtually every other Ford made now. Ford really needs to get its act together and get all the MyFord Touch bugs fixed.
Old 11/18/12, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
The nav in the Mustang works and MyFord Touch doesn't. LOL That's the main difference. MyFord Touch is buggy, laggy, locks up all the time, and does all kinds of other unpleasant things. The electronics package nav is actually hard drive based, and it's manufactured by Clarion. MyFord Touch uses an SD card for the map database and doesn't have the hard drive music library capability. I, for one, am glad the Mustang still uses the old school nav and doesn't have the cookie cutter MyFord Touch instrument cluster like virtually every other Ford made now. Ford really needs to get its act together and get all the MyFord Touch bugs fixed.

Ford sent my wife an update for her MyFord Touch. Since then, no issues with nav or any other features .

Did you get the update? If not, ask the dealer for it.