'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Cloth vs Leather Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/13, 10:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't see the appeal of leather. It's not game of thrones out there. The cloth interiors these days are pretty awesome. Leather is hot/cold/sticky/sweaty. It shows scratches and cuts and needs to be conditioned to wear well. I say save some cash and enjoy the cloth.
Old 4/3/13, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

Get the best of both worlds. Go with the California Special and call it a day. Leather with Alcantara Inserts. Here is a pic of mine.

Name:  20121114_105740d.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  215.0 KB
Old 4/4/13, 02:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Roush sells the leather from GT's that are being converted to RS3's. brand new never been used. I just ordered some for $350 with free shipping. I also hear that Shelby America sells the GT500 takeoffs that used to upgrade to the Super Snakes for around the same price. They were out of stock when I was looking for seats. I'm installing them this weekend. Doesn't seem to complicated just a lot of hard work to stretch the skins on to the seats. I'll post some pics.

I'd say save the money unless you want track apps. I was at the dealership getting my free oil change and was looking at GTs while I waited. They have quite a few Base GT's for $30k but all the premiums had a ton of other stuff pushing them close to $40k. Get the Tech Package and throw some leather takeoffs and you pretty have a Premium minus the tack apps.
Old 4/4/13, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by treborwd22
Get the best of both worlds. Go with the California Special and call it a day. Leather with Alcantara Inserts. Here is a pic of mine.

Looks good
Old 4/4/13, 08:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjacrooks
I really don't see the appeal of leather. It's not game of thrones out there. The cloth interiors these days are pretty awesome. Leather is hot/cold/sticky/sweaty. It shows scratches and cuts and needs to be conditioned to wear well. I say save some cash and enjoy the cloth.
I would agree but for some reason the cloth that is in the 10-14 mustangs is very soft, thin, and subjectively cheap. The best I can describe it as would be "sock like material." The material also has vent holes in it that are large enough to catch hairs and lint.

My wife has a brand new Fusion and the cloth that in there is very different in quality. it's tough, hard, and firm. I would describe it as Kevlar like in feel.

I'm not sure if all Ford vehicles sport unique material but the Fusion interior trumps the Mustangs in quality.

My daughter ground a powdered doughnut into the black interior of the Fusion and it just dusted right off. You would have to scrub it out of the mustang. With this, agitating the already soft material. I don't miss the cloth at all.
Old 4/4/13, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Yup, if you have kids, go leather. So much easier to clean up messes that your kids WILL leave behind.
Old 4/6/13, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

I spend a great deal of time in the car. On average, 100 miles each day, and have for almost 25 years. I have had plenty of cars with cloth and with leather, and have had excellent luck with both. I feel a lot depends upon the shape of the seat, and the way you climb in and out. If you are one who does a lot of sliding across the seats, you probably will not see good life out of either. I can only imagine how bad it is with the new jeans with all the rhinestones on the pockets! My other car has 174,000 miles and leather seats. They have a pretty thick side bolster on the backs, but are pretty flat on the bottoms. I would say that the seats are in about 90-95% condition still, except that the driver side bolster is showing some wear, mostly from my ex-wife sliding in and out, as she drove it for the first 100.000 miles. I prefer the leather because stuff wipes up much easier, and I absolutely love heated seats. I considered buying a base with cloth, but I love the look of the leather seats in the premium, along with the other extras, so that is how I went.
Old 4/8/13, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Leather dont add any Horse Power..
so i got for me some nice and sharp recaro cloth seats..
Old 4/8/13, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So how much horsepower did your Recaros add?
Old 4/9/13, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
So how much horsepower did your Recaros add?
Yes, explain how much horsepower recaros added??
Old 4/9/13, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I take it you didn't read the post before mine, did you?
Old 4/20/13, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

To Scotchgard or Not to Scotchgard

Should I Scotchgard the cloth seats in my 2014 Base GT, or does it come with some sort of treatment from the factory?
Old 4/23/13, 05:03 PM
GT Member

My leather Recaros are holding up very nicely - after a year there is nary a wrinkle.

And I opted for the premium interior, it just looked and felt much better to me. To each his own!
Old 4/23/13, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Oddly enough...

I'm going to put the Cloth 2012 seat covers in Awesome because I dun plum wore out that Leather seat. The rest of them are pristine, but the driver? Yeah, I'm an awful owner.

Now, I had cloth in the '97 HoopTBird, and I loved it. It's hot down here. I'm lookin' forward to replacing my leathers (and storing the good leather ones for the mean time... gonna have to get a driver only if possible...) and seeing the difference for myself.

/I just hope that 'shock me' thing doesn't happen.
Old 4/28/13, 07:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
One of the problems I have experienced with cloth seats is static electricity. You slide out of the seat getting out and touch the roof and get shocked. Leather for me.
This! +1.
Regardless of what type of car. Cloth seats zap the hell out of me.

I have leather, but I find the cloth seats in Mustangs VERY nice and VERY comfortable.
It sounds like the OP worries about what others will think of his "cheap" interior. I say, don't worry at all. Everybody will love your car. You will love it. (And if, down the road, you decide you still want leather, it will be an easy add-on at any time.)
Old 5/9/13, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

I think it depends on where do you live!! In other words how hot it can be! Mine used to be cloth (stone) and have changed it to leather (also stone)! You don't want a dark interior in a country with a summer that can reach up to 125F!!
Old 5/9/13, 09:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here in south texas a cloth interior is amazing. Leather gets really hot (or cold) and gets kinda slippery at times. Cloth is pretty temperature neutral but will fade faster over time. Also odors tend to stick around more with cloth.

It really just depends on where you are and personal aesthetic preference
Old 7/1/13, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like how cloth seats hold you in place better than leather, but leather looks much nicer. I'm assuming the leather Recaro's hold you in place much better than the stock leather seats though. I have cloth seats in my GT and they're alright, but I do plan to replace them with leather take offs sometime soon.
Old 7/3/13, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

After experiencing the wrinkling and premature signs of worn leather in my '07 GT (with only 26,000 miles), I chose a base GT for reasons of getting cloth in my new '14. Being that I rarely ever have a passenger ride with me, the leather driver's seat showed wear and wrinkling and the rest of the interior was brand new in the '07. In trying to constantly keep the leather soft to avoid dryness and cracking, it was also slick. The leather was always hot in the summer as well. Although I hated the lack of color choices (black or stone) in the '14 base GT, I do love the way I stay planted in the seat during spirited driving on curvy roads. I won't ever buy leather in the future. So far, my cloth hasn't shown signs of wrinkling or stretching. I don't eat in the car, nor do I get in it unless I'm in clean clothes, so seat cleanliness shouldn't be a problem. I do drink while I drive on long trips, but I always drink from a capped soda bottle or a closed lid coffee cup. Cigarette ashes, butts and roaches (too small to smoke) go out the window.
Old 7/3/13, 11:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I found that my leather seats provided plenty of support during spirited driving recently. I planted my left foot on the dead pedal and applied a little pressure and I stayed glued in place. Perhaps some people just have more slippery butts.