Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Big 2/3 Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/15, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Big 2/3 Upgrade?

Has any one done this? I started looking at it yesterday and there isn't really a good path from the alternator to the battery. I'm worried the wire is going to be too close to the engine. As you can see in the pic it would be running basically right next to the header....

Name:  2w2OON0.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  889.7 KB
Old 3/8/15, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
What is a 2/3 upgrade?
Old 3/8/15, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im guessing it's a reference to upgrading the alternator to battery, then battery ground cabling.

I haven't upgraded my cabling, but I've never seen my voltage drop below 13.2 volts while running. I'm not running a ton of power, but I do have two amps and a processor running off a 1/0 run to the trunk. I'd have to look in the engine bay to really see a good run, but I would probably pull it straight up the inner fender and then run the cabling behind the engine, or maybe try to run it up the engine and maybe under the engine cover back to the firewall. Also, I'd definitely be using flex tech/expandable sleeving on the cable to help protect it while under the hood.
Old 3/9/15, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
What is a 2/3 upgrade?
Yea sorry guys I guess I should have specified.It's the The electrical system wire upgrades. From what I have gathered, newer cars don't require the engine block to chassis wire upgrade, so its essentially the big 2 now. Alt. to battery+, battery- to chassis.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/9/15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 3/9/15, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by clucas
im guessing it's a reference to upgrading the alternator to battery, then battery ground cabling.

I haven't upgraded my cabling, but I've never seen my voltage drop below 13.2 volts while running. I'm not running a ton of power, but I do have two amps and a processor running off a 1/0 run to the trunk. I'd have to look in the engine bay to really see a good run, but I would probably pull it straight up the inner fender and then run the cabling behind the engine, or maybe try to run it up the engine and maybe under the engine cover back to the firewall. Also, I'd definitely be using flex tech/expandable sleeving on the cable to help protect it while under the hood.
Mine is definitely dropping, or else I probably wouldn't bother with it. I'm running 1/0 to the trunk, and I have a rather large 4ch amp. The mono amp is no small foot print either. Anything with good low-end punch causes my headlights to dim. I think I'm going to try to go straight off the alt to the fender wall like you were saying and see if I can find something to secure it to, to keep it away from the header. Yes I will definitely be covering it with sleeving, as I did with the part of my power wire thats in the engine bay. I ordered a bunch of blue sleeving from summit racing. Should look nice if its the shade shown on their website,

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/9/15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 3/9/15, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blue sleeving sounds like a good touch. I'll be curious to see how much of a difference it makes. I know it should make a difference, but if you're seeing voltage drops then I'd like to see how much the voltage drops are alleviated.

I think I'm not seeing quite the drops because I have a class d 4 channel bridges to my midranges and my big 4 channel is barely being pushed due to my subs being in an IB configuration.
Old 3/9/15, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
How much is yours dropping? What size where you running before? What test points where you measuring from?

Last edited by Jazzman442; 3/9/15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 3/10/15, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by clucas
The blue sleeving sounds like a good touch. I'll be curious to see how much of a difference it makes. I know it should make a difference, but if you're seeing voltage drops then I'd like to see how much the voltage drops are alleviated.

I think I'm not seeing quite the drops because I have a class d 4 channel bridges to my midranges and my big 4 channel is barely being pushed due to my subs being in an IB configuration.
That's a good possibility.Eventually I would like to get newer, more efficient amps. I've had these beasts for about 8 years now and still love them though

4ch: http://archive.mtx.com/caraudio/prod...hunder7804.cfm

Mono: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bsnHjwm...under5601.html (run a 2 ohms)

I'll do a before and after test

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/10/15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did a test and its dropping by a volt when the lights start dimming. Need to order some new battery terminals to account for the new wires, so that has put a slight delay on things.