Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/14, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Wow what an ambitious project!
K I went through all 14 pages, this may be a silly question... Will this mod work in a 07 Pony pgk Mustang which has the shaker 500 system or do I have to install the older Nav unit heads?
Are you asking if a 2010/14 nav will go in a 07? If so, then no.

If you are asking if you can take a 2010/14 interior with nav and put it in a 07, then yes. But lots involved here.

If you are asking if you can put a nav meant for an 07/09 Mustang in a Mustang that doesn't have nav, then yes.
Old 2/26/14, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jim has anybody tried to put an interior of a 10-14 into an interior of a 05-09?
Old 2/26/14, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by defiance772
Hey Jim has anybody tried to put an interior of a 10-14 into an interior of a 05-09?
Yes. But it was a pretty intensive job. The guy gutted an 05 and transplanted EVERYTHING from a 2011 5.0 into his car. Engine, transmission, whole interior, all wiring and modules. It was in one of the Mustang magazines.

The interior parts should just be direct fits. Even the door panels.
Old 2/26/14, 06:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hi
Jim and I have been PMing regarding the nav and dual zone upgrade that my son and I have done in his 2012 Premium Race Red.
We were able to purchase a nav system from a 2011 Shelby GT 500.
We followed Jims directions regarding the necessary components to install for a nav system.
I decided to also install the necessary components to get the dual zone system working as well.
My concern was that, I did not want to drain the coolant, as well as the AC freon and felt that even though Ford only sells the HVAC evaporator box as a complete unit (either single or dual zone) that there must be a way to convert a single zone car to a dual zone without too much difficulty. I was right.
The main difference is the air distribution plenum on the HVAC evaporator box, as well as one control door motor and the wiring harness.
The necessary components to do this conversion is as follows:
  • DR3Z-19850-B evaporator housing $254.79
  • AR3Z-18B574-B dual zone wiring harness $27.55
  • AR3Z-19E616-A Temperature blend door actuator motor $20.30
At this stage I'm assuming that any one who is about to convert from single to double zone will have taken out the dash purchased the components on Jims list and has a visual of the HVAC evaporator housing.
The included photo shows the difference from the single (still installed) and the double (on the transmission hump)
The only difference is that there is an extra temperature blend door actuator motor located on the drivers side of the plenum. When you purchase the evaporator housing using an 8MM socket set remove the self tapping screws holding the blend door housing onto the main evaporator housing. Using some of the removed screws install the new temperature blend door actuator motor onto the end of the drivers side blend door (see photo) .

Next remove the single zone evaporator housing (9 screws)( one is underneath) and remove the two existing blend door actuator motors being careful to install them in the same position on the dual zone plenum ( as they were on the single zone plenum) as they are different motors with different wiring connectors.
Install the dual zone plenum ( 9 screws) ( and two additional for the side housing) install the new wiring harness and when you replace the dash with the nav unit you now have dual zone HVAC controlled by the nav unit.
In the photo the single zone plenum is still installed. You can see on the drivers side of the dual zone the additional temperature blend door motor that we have installed. The whole conversion took us about 1 hour.

I also purchased a Rear spoiler with camera.
  • AR3Z-6344210-BA $284.31
This was done to have a OEM back up camera. My nephew owns a Maaco store so he painted the spoiler Race Red.
Since the existing 14A005 main wiring harness did not have the wiring for the OEM amp (located in the trunk) or the necessary wiring harness for the spoiler mounted backup camera, I decided to replace the main wiring harness.
  • CR3Z-14A005-KB $320.61
In order to replace this wiring harness the whole interior of the car has to be removed. This was not a job for the faint of heart . This replacement should only be done by those who have lots of experience with automobile wiring as well as funds to justify the cost. I'm glad that we did it since the wiring of the OEM audio amp in the trunk was a breeze as was the wiring for the Shaker 1000 sub woofer in the trunk and the wiring for the back up camera.
We installed a Lockpic with cameras installed in the license plate lower bolt hole and one on the passenger side mirror.

All in all the whole system works very well.
The only reason that I started on this is that my 21 year old son is very directionally challenged and having the nav unit has allowed him to get around without the distraction of looking at his phone.
If you have any questions I would be pleased to answer to the best of my ability

When you say "plenum" what part exactly are you talking about? Do I need to purchase the entire blend door thing you have sitting on the transmission or can I just take off the extra actuator and install it on the driver side of the single zone. Sorry but I'm just a little confused lol
Old 2/26/14, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
Here is a comparison between the single and dual.

Orange is where the blend doors are located in the climate box.

Green and blue are the parts that are different. The harness and the climate box.

Red are the parts that are to be added. Another adjusting motor and temp sensor.
Hey Jim, so I do need what is circled in blue or will the red and green parts be all I need for dual climate? Thanks!
Old 2/26/14, 08:11 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Are you asking if a 2010/14 nav will go in a 07? If so, then no.

If you are asking if you can take a 2010/14 interior with nav and put it in a 07, then yes. But lots involved here.

If you are asking if you can put a nav meant for an 07/09 Mustang in a Mustang that doesn't have nav, then yes.
Thanks Jim. I was asking if the 2010 will fit in a 07...Looks like I will have to replace the whole dash in order to do this. ugh the $$$$$..this is going to be one costly project!

If I were to add the interior from a 2010 to a 07, would I have to replace the whole front dash or just the center radio part?

I am already planning on adding a 2010 center console w/ shifter and the 2010 gt500 steering wheel.
Old 2/26/14, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Jim. I was asking if the 2010 will fit in a 07...Looks like I will have to replace the whole dash in order to do this. ugh the $$$$$..this is going to be one costly project!

If I were to add the interior from a 2010 to a 07, would I have to replace the whole front dash or just the center radio part?

I am already planning on adding a 2010 center console w/ shifter and the 2010 gt500 steering wheel.
You would need the entire dash as well as the center console. I suppose you could just use the existing dash harness and cluster, but you would have to do some wiring to get the steering wheel switches to work. Cruise might not work, but not sure. Another member said he put in a new steering wheel into a 05/09 and said everything on the wheel worked. But considering the trouble we have been having, I'm not so sure.

You would be the pioneer on this.
Old 2/26/14, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Trevor08gt
Hey Jim, so I do need what is circled in blue or will the red and green parts be all I need for dual climate? Thanks!
The actuator is not enough. Both blend doors move as one. You need the part that Muskoka described. I'll be doing the same as Muskoka in the next little while.
Old 2/27/14, 03:31 PM

You would need the entire dash as well as the center console. I suppose you could just use the existing dash harness and cluster, but you would have to do some wiring to get the steering wheel switches to work. Cruise might not work, but not sure. Another member said he put in a new steering wheel into a 05/09 and said everything on the wheel worked. But considering the trouble we have been having, I'm not so sure.

You would be the pioneer on this.
Could you please explain why the existing dash would not work?
Old 2/27/14, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just got my new switch today along with my pony puddle/heated/blind spot mirrors today. Dropping to -30 C tomorrow, so I won't be doin the mirrors this weekend.

Switch was easy, though.

You can see the difference here. The nav switch does not have OK on it. Thanks Muskoka for figuring this one out. I suspected, but never got around to checking it out as it was no big deal to me. Cheap fix.
Attached Thumbnails Adding the OEM nav-switch.jpg  
Old 2/27/14, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Could you please explain why the existing dash would not work?

Are you refering to keeping your existing dash in your 2007 and having the 2010/14 nav installed? That won't work as it physically would not fit. It would be a nightmarish failure.

Couple of reasons:

It won't work because the nav is hooked into the HVAC. Without the 2010/14 HVAC, there will be issues with the nav. Nav may not even work at all.

Also the 2010/14 HVAC panel is not a direct fit into the 05/09 cars. You would be doing some pretty fancy chopping and sanding to get it to look even remotely half crappy. You NEED the 2010/14 dash to fit the HVAC panel.

But let's say you could do this. Then the HVAC will have different connectors then what the 05/09 has, so custom wiring would be needed. And if that could even be figured out, I doubt that the signals being sent by the newer HVAC would be recognized by the car's computer modules.

Also, the ACM is separate from the nav screen. The ACM is mounted lower than the screen is. There is no way of fitting the nav screen with the ACM directly behind as you would need in the 05/09, either. While the ACM will fit in the double din spot, you will have nowhere to put the screen. And even if you could mount it in front of the ACM, you'd be blocking the CD slot.

If you really wanted to have this, you'd pretty much be forced to get the dash and center console. And since we are talking about a different HVAC unit, probably you'd need the newer climate system as well. And if you did that, then you'd probably need the SJB. And on and on it goes. You'd have to do what this other guy did and transfer the interior and all modules and wiring and drivetrain into your car.

Last edited by jim010; 2/27/14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2/27/14, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

VGMstudios,

What exactly is it you are wanting to do? Is it that you want a larger touch screen that looks slicker?
Old 2/28/14, 07:35 AM

VGMstudios,

What exactly is it you are wanting to do? Is it that you want a larger touch screen that looks slicker?
Thanks so much for the explanation. I was just curious as to why it wouldn't work and what kind of work would be involved.

Thing is, I would like to install a Nav unit, and after seeing the 10+ version, it looks and probably functions tons better then the older style.

But seeing as this would probably cost more then buying a new car itself , I think ill just stick with the older version . Sucks though cause the 10+ is really really nice.
Old 2/28/14, 08:10 AM
V6 Member

Hey Muskoka. I'm a little puzzled about where the the shaft bolt as well as the 4 bolts holding the steering column in place is? I took somes pics

Name:  Pic1.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  Pic2.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  111.2 KB
Old 2/28/14, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You need to take off the black plastic trim around the steering column.

crawl under the steering wheel and get into the footwell. You will see a steel shaft going from where the pedals are to the steering column. The shaft is in 2 parts. There will be a part where one part of the shaft slides into the second part. It is there that you will see a bolt that holds it together. Take that bolt out.
Old 2/28/14, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Talking

Hey Jim thanks. That black trim I removed has 3 bolts but it still wont budge. Are there any more bolts holding the black trim together.

Last edited by defiance772; 2/28/14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2/28/14, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The 2 halves are snapped together. You will need to pry it open - carefully.

Thought I remembered there being 4 screws?
Old 2/28/14, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All
Here are some of the drawings from the CD that I suggested that you look at purchasing.
thanks
Rob
Old 2/28/14, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The CD Muskoka suggested is a great idea. But since you are in the middle of doing this the service department at the dealer can print off for you the instructions on how to remove the dash.
Old 2/28/14, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drawings

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav