Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 Boss 302 complete system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12v Guy
Rich keep me posted on your testing of your SWI2 wire. Thanks for all the pics and details.

Cheers,
Testing the buttons on the steering wheel;

OK single press or press and hold - no flashes
PHONE single press or press and hold - no flashes
VOICE single press or press and hold - 2 green flashes

Safe to assume I tapped the wrong blue wire? Or something else could be wrong/incorrect?
Old 4/22/14, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tron
Rich, if i ship you my boss with a suitcase full of money in the trunk, can you duplicate this setup?

For real though, very well planned out and executed install. Well done.
Hey anything is possible! But I'm not such a genius as the pix might suggest, I only noticed after the fact that the Infinity speakers are 2ohm and the 8" woofers are 4ohm. So I have to fool with the sensitivity between channels to get a balanced sound, as at equal levels, the woofers aren't as loud as the other pair.

The other fly in the ointment here is that I confirmed this morning that the GPS unit is defective. When you buy refurbs, this is the chance you take;

Looks like some hammerhead just ripped out the head unit while the GPS antenna cable was locked into place, so now even holding the antenna jack firmly in place, I never got more than 2 yellow bars. I know its not my location either as my Garmin Edge bike computer has no issues finding the satellites...

Now to pack everything back up and get to UPS so this ships out today, hopefully I'll get my replacement some time next week.
Old 4/23/14, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

I did manage to hook up the OBD2 wires though, and getting the user configurable gauges & TPMS readings *per wheel* is worth buying the Maestro kit. The supplied bracket bolts to the head unit perfectly, and it's a rock solid mount in the dash. Here you can see the yellow alerts for open door/trunk.

Old 4/23/14, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that is actually really cool. Looks like the rear tires need some air.
Old 4/24/14, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Indeed they do, been doing this since day 1, no idea why. Was wondering if anyone from a recent thread regarding 'when do the TPMS sensors go off' would notice... My idiot light on the dash still hasn't lit, but it should soon. I think it activates around 24-25 psi based upon my experience.
Old 5/13/14, 05:09 AM
Cobra Member

I got my replacement head unit installed, and finally got the huge subwoofer box in the trunk. Now I need to secure the box so it doesn't slide around. Also experimented with numerous methods to secure the 2 amps so that they are removable on track days. I have them 'hammocked' below the rear deck with heavy duty tie wraps. This allows for the best accessibility and heat dissipation, as I didn't want to put them in the spare tire well. I could change my mind and build my own mounting board as others have done and add a 12v 120mm fan or 2 to keep things cool, but that's another side project.

One thing that sucks about getting a system that allows you to hear everything, is that no matter how you fine tune the speakers, once you switch source material from one singer/artist to another, you often have to tweak the settings. I wish I had a set of presets for the speaker crossover frequencies and then could just use the graphic EQ presets for making adjustments as needed. I'm just getting used to this setup, so over time I will probably find the sweet spot. My preference is for tight, punchy bass, with good vocal separation and clear highs. I like to be able to hear the drummer hitting the high hat along with the powerful bass and rhythm guitars while the vocals are center stage.

I was waiting to sort out my last issue with the iPod setup before posting my final update. Things got busy fast around here with the nice weather coming in and yard work, etc. Sync has always hated my iPod, and even before the upgrade to the Maestro system, I would have to careful on which order that I plugged in the USB cable, and selected the source. What I would happen was I wanted my audio through the USB port, but the sound was streaming via BT audio instead. I have the OEM Kenwood lightning cable for my iPhone, and I see my library, album art, etc, BUT NO AUDIO, it only comes through over Bluetooth.

It's nice to now be able to drive the Boss, after the long winter in the Marquis that needs brakes and a fuel pump. Look for my final update (working iPod or not) later this week.
Old 5/20/14, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

ace72ace Are you interested in selling your factory door panels?

Thanks
Jack
Old 5/21/14, 04:44 AM
Cobra Member

Nope, I'm keeping all my factory Boss parts.
Old 5/22/14, 12:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
I was waiting to sort out my last issue with the iPod setup before posting my final update. Things got busy fast around here with the nice weather coming in and yard work, etc. Sync has always hated my iPod, and even before the upgrade to the Maestro system, I would have to careful on which order that I plugged in the USB cable, and selected the source. What I would happen was I wanted my audio through the USB port, but the sound was streaming via BT audio instead. I have the OEM Kenwood lightning cable for my iPhone, and I see my library, album art, etc, BUT NO AUDIO, it only comes through over Bluetooth.

It's nice to now be able to drive the Boss, after the long winter in the Marquis that needs brakes and a fuel pump. Look for my final update (working iPod or not) later this week.

If I understand correctly, you are plugging your iPhone into the KENWOOD USB port using a lightning cable. If correct and you have no audio, there's a very confusing setting you have to change in Kenwood radio to tell the A/V jack to be an A/V jack and not iPod. It comes set to ipod which makes the radio think you are going to use an old 30 pin connector with UBS for data (art, song, etc) and a 3.5mm A/V jack for audio and video. This is not applicable for lighting connector devices so you have to change it in radio.

Cheers,