Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Winter Tire (help)

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/12, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter Tire (help)

It'll be my Mustang's first winter. Since I live in the northeast, I am planning on purchasing dedicated snow/winter tires.

I was just going to get a set for the rear, but I wasn't sure if I had to keep the same tire size.

Right now, I have P Zeros (235/50/ZR18) on 18 inch rims.

I wanted to get these tires and rims for the rear:

Blizzak WS-70 215/65/R17

Platinum Marathon rims

Is it ok to have totally different and narrower wheels installed on the rear?

Old 11/7/12, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't do only two tires. Your car will be much better with all 4 in the same size and type.

I don't know how a winter is like where you live; while Blizzak, in general, gets rave reviews, it may not fit your scenario. Blizzak is a dual-compound or dual-layer tire; the first layer is this very soft open-cell compound which soaks up water and it wears quickly in the dry or wet. The second layer (after the tire has 50% tread depth left) is all-season.

So, if you live in an area where snow on the ground is scarce (only cold), your better choice is to find a single-compound, harder-compound winter tire. My scenario fits this description. My rule of thumb is to find the cheapest winter tire and my favorite so far is Viking Snowtech.
Old 11/7/12, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the tip Tom! I live in northern New Jersey. We had a very very mild winter last year, but we have had rough winters in the past - blizzard, sleet, etc. On average, whenever it snows, it's pretty heavy and stays on the road for at least a week, sometimes more when it ices over. I don't plan on using the tires when the roads are snow free.

I am leaning toward the Blizzaks, but thanks to your comment, I might look around for a tire that might be a better fit.

Thanks again!
Old 11/7/12, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

lol. i just looked out the window. it started snowing.

guess it's time to learn how to fishtail.
Old 11/7/12, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm down in DE, look on CL you can find a SECOND car for what 4 tires cost. I picked up a honda DIRT cheap, it has some all season tires on it...what more do I need?

Look into it, I am 22 and I SAVE money owning my Honda, I pay $30 every 2 weeks(400+ mile a tank) insurance is a wash since the 5.0 is no longer listed as my "primary" car and cost me a few pennies less having both insured...then factory in fuel savings I am on the plus.
Old 11/7/12, 12:34 PM
Banned

I highly enjoyed the unstoppable Dunlop Winter Sports that I had on my GTO when I lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota. With that car I had dedicated winter wheels/tires and dedicated summer wheels/tires.

My Mustang currently has the summer only 19" Brembo package wheels/tires.

Since I moved to DC, the snow overall is going to be significantly less than what I dealt with back in Wisconsin so I'm just going to go with the wheels I want and just choose all-season tires.

I already bought the wheels 20x8.5/20x10 American Racing Torq Thrust M.

I'm going with Toyo Proxes 4Plus 255/35VR20 and 295/30VR20 all season tires.

I figure the snow in DC is generally less, and the weather is generally warmer that I will take a chance with all seasons, and will end up selling my stock wheels/tires on Craigslist or wherever I can get a bite.

They say we might get hit hard with snow this winter, we'll see. What gets me is that last winter I had my snow tires on the back of my GTO starting in mid October (I was in Minnesota then) and when I moved to DC I kept them on, and I would have been fine keeping my "summer" wheel/tire set, since I saw snow twice that was significant enough to matter, and both times it was the weekend.

Good luck with whatever you choose. My prior Mustang was a 2006 v6 Pony Package, and it did perfectly fine with all-seasons through the winter. No issues whatsoever.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11/7/12 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11/7/12, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the V6 Pony Package on my 2012... but I was skidding up the hill today leaving the office parking lot. And there was only about an inch of snow on the ground.

I did think of getting a second car just for this reason, but considering I live in NJ - insurance would def. be a significant expense throughout the year. My 6 month policy right now is almost 1k. Yes, I said 6 month policy - for one car.

Placing tirerack order tonight - as soon as I make a decision!

Helpful tire reviews:
http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_gui...Snow-Tires.htm
Old 11/7/12, 06:14 PM
Banned

Out of curiosity how many winters have you done with rear wheel drive?

From one girl to another, the thing that taught me the most was finding an empty lot on a snowy day and learning to slide the car. Not on purpose, but it helps to know how to handle the car once it's beyond the limits of adhesion.
Old 11/7/12, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

From one girl to another, the thing that taught me the most was finding an empty lot on a snowy day and learning to slide the car. Not on purpose, but it helps to know how to handle the car once it's beyond the limits of adhesion.
^this, learning to control the car when it starts fishtailing, and going easy on the gas, all important things when driving in snow, with a RWD car.
Old 11/7/12, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Petunia, some extra weight in the trunk of a rear wheel drive car can make all the difference when driving in snow. Try it with and without; you'll see the difference.
Old 11/8/12, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

Originally Posted by shurtual86
^this, learning to control the car when it starts fishtailing, and going easy on the gas, all important things when driving in snow, with a RWD car.
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Petunia, some extra weight in the trunk of a rear wheel drive car can make all the difference when driving in snow. Try it with and without; you'll see the difference.
First winter with RWD... my bf keeps telling me the same thing. Thanks - will definitely take all this advice!
Old 11/8/12, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Last winter was an event happening once in a very long while and I wouldn't use it as a benchmark. So, your area gets significant amount of snow, now it is wise to get a set of dedicated winter tires mounted on a set of dedicated wheels.

Try to find the smallest diameter possible to lessen the cost. Talk to those who have done it and see if 16" wheels would fit. Is there an option for steel wheels ? They are a bit more durable than aluminum (steel will bend instead of crack like aluminum upon high impact).

As far as the tire goes, I still prefer the single-compound winter tires. Find one with lower speed rating (Q, T, or S) to get a softer compound.

In any rate, learn the way the car behaves after installing the winter tires. In the dry and wet, it will be sluggish in term of cornering ability and on a long sweeper (such as an on-ramp), the car will feel like it's stepping-sliding. Steering feel will be numb too; some winter tires are so soft that steering wheel wouldn't straighten out after a turn.

Last but not least, watch your braking. Your car can now stop at a much shorter distance and a car behind you almost likely can't match your short stopping distance; A perfect recipe for getting rear-ended.
Old 11/19/12, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I got my winter wheels

Blizzak WS-70 and 17 inch black Enkei rims

Went with a smaller diameter like you guys suggested. Thanks a bunch! Haven't installed them yet, waiting til forecast of the next storm so I don't wear them out too quickly.

Old 11/19/12, 05:30 PM
Banned

good luck!
Old 12/20/12, 09:38 AM

My 2010 Mustang convertible is a sled in snow here in upstate New York so I bought a beater 1997 Expedition 4X4, fixed it myself for a total investment of $2K and that's my winter/snow/ice car.
Old 12/22/12, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Deleted

Last edited by Big Poppa; 12/23/12 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Tire not made anymore.