Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Two NEW releases for 2010+ Mustangs Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/10, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want one in black that matches the window and roof moldings. Not polished just bead blasted and then anodized black with the bright dip. And no engraving. You know the GT doesn't match the GT on the car? The one on the car is not italic makes no sense to have italic on the fuel door and straight on the body side.

Last edited by 908ssp; 7/21/10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 7/21/10, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
... When it is all said and done, the three pieces will work together to "fix" the back end as much as is possible without replacement of body panels...
That is some super good news for the 2010+ folks. I think you're going to get more orders that you handle for the whole set. I know I'm going to convince my pops to get the whole set when available. He loves the blackout panel concept but hates how the currently offerings still don’t "fix" the odd alignment of the stock trunklid. I think it'll also visually allow the lower rear bumper to blend better as well.. sorta compliment it.

Food for thought, the only reason I don't have a SHR honeycomb panel on my 2006 is that it didn't delete the faux gas gap. Your SHR fuel door was a must for me and I couldn’t deal with the double-gas-cap look of having them both. So I got the SHR fuel door and the CDC panel. It might be good to offer a honeycomb panel that blanks out the faux gas cap.

Great stuff! I always love seeing a SHR product reveal!
Old 7/21/10, 10:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in the gas door if it was available painted to match. I don't like the tackiness of the satin/chrome fuel doors on cars. IMO it looks like an Autozone stick-on accessory.
Old 7/21/10, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'd be interested in the gas door if it was available painted to match. I don't like the tackiness of the satin/chrome fuel doors on cars. IMO it looks like an Autozone stick-on accessory.
I like that idea
Old 7/21/10, 07:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Well, we offer all of our Tru-Billet products "unfinished" at a discount compared to our finished pieces, just for that reason. Although, for our first run, we really had to dedicate all of available production to finished parts and samples for some well-known names, but the next run will include extra pieces for those that want to do a PTM version, or get crazy with it and PTM then paint the engraving in a contrast, etc... We started that about a year or so ago, and as we've rotated through restock runs of all of our poducts, we've tried to allocate some pieces just for that purpose.

Anyone at Mustang Week should be able to spy our 5.0 engraved piece as well
Old 7/21/10, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The bezels and trunklid panel look awesome as is! I pictured the fuel door looking like that in my head, also very nice. On the 1/4 window louvers...you guys should TOTALLY offer those in a CF finish (real CF if you could keep the cost below $500 for a set, although I know that would be difficult).
Old 7/21/10, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will your yet to be released tail light bezels work with the OEM Black Out rear panel? I actually like Ford OEM panel .... ???
Old 7/21/10, 11:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Our bezels will work with probably all of them - of course we'll have to test to be sure, but I don't see why not given where all the panels seem to running to dimensionally that we've seen. That said, obviously they will align best with our panel, but they should be "close enough" that most everyone will be happy with how they work with anyone's panel.

Laser, thanks. Just imagine they will be ~50% better than what you see here, as I really am not happy with them at this time, and if you've ever followed one of our development threads, you will see that I get kind of picky about this stuff...

On the CF louver - not realistic given the manufacturing process. If the clear areas were independent of the louver it could work, but then you'd have 6 chances for leaks on each side instead of just one like now. Also, proper autoclave / vacuum bag process costs money, so I don't see how to do them complete for 250 ea. That leads to the next part of that, which is we tried to hydro-print the entire face of the part with less than ideal results. That's why the set on the car only has the face edge done, and the vents are contrasted in solid color. Trust me, I'd like to do them in real CF, just haven't been able to work this out affordably yet given the hurdles inherent in the design.
Old 7/21/10, 11:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I hear ya. I've worked with carbon fiber before at a high end custom audio shop. It definitely isn't cheap to do something right, even little pieces. Realistically, I'd say $1k per set, but you wouldn't sell many at that price. Even if just the face was CF and the slats were painted flat black, I think it would still look very trick. Then you could get into the CF mirror covers too...but JLT might have something to say about that.
Old 7/22/10, 12:30 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I'll just have to smack Jay and Lisa around tomorrow when I see them then

Seriously, we're good with them, I have no desire to "step on their toes" with any of our offerings. It's a lot better when we can get along with other manufacturers than when we have to be fighting with them and sending C&D orders all the time... If anything, I'd just have them manufacture for us if we wanted to go into the mirror business or something similar.

You are right on the price point - we try to provide a good value for our customers, and sometimes it just means not making something even though I'd think it would be cool, it would be so expensive many people would be upset with us over it. Heck, we had a request one time for a stamped / machined set of louvers from steel... I nicely explained that it would be as difficult, if not more so, than machining the mold, but that didn't slow down the request. Then I explained that for ~65k I would be happy to machine a stamping press tool that could knock out as many sets as he wanted in a deep-draw process - that pretty much ended the conversation

Originally Posted by laserred38
I hear ya. I've worked with carbon fiber before at a high end custom audio shop. It definitely isn't cheap to do something right, even little pieces. Realistically, I'd say $1k per set, but you wouldn't sell many at that price. Even if just the face was CF and the slats were painted flat black, I think it would still look very trick. Then you could get into the CF mirror covers too...but JLT might have something to say about that.
Old 7/22/10, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was planing on buying the OEM decklid panel but after seeing yours and the matching tail light bezels to go with it I'll rather buy yours.

My car comes with a black decklid tape, will it be OK to attach the panel on top of the tape or should I remove the tape before attaching your panel?
Old 7/22/10, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Wooooooooooooooooooooow love those rear panels!!!

Beautiful
Old 7/22/10, 01:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

The layout of the tape will determine if it should be removed or not. If you're talking about the black vinyl between both taillights, then yes, it is best to remove it since the 3M tape that we will use ends up only attaching to the vinyl, not the paint. So you have a chance of bond failure if the vinyl ever separates from the paint.

On the plus side, removal of the factory center emblem is not required, which we had to do when doing our modeling, and it is quite difficult since the fit is so tight compared to the 05-09 pieces from the factory.
Old 7/22/10, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ahh gotcha. That's cool that you part manufacturers get along! But yeah, after working with fiberglass and custom
CF stuff, I now have a better appreciation for how much labor goes into making parts like these. Many consumers just cannot grasp the concept of "economies of scale." You guys make some great, OEM quality parts and I can't wait to get a new Stang to throw some of these parts on! It may be a while though...

I'll just have to smack Jay and Lisa around tomorrow when I see them then

Seriously, we're good with them, I have no desire to "step on their toes" with any of our offerings. It's a lot better when we can get along with other manufacturers than when we have to be fighting with them and sending C&D orders all the time... If anything, I'd just have them manufacture for us if we wanted to go into the mirror business or something similar.

You are right on the price point - we try to provide a good value for our customers, and sometimes it just means not making something even though I'd think it would be cool, it would be so expensive many people would be upset with us over it. Heck, we had a request one time for a stamped / machined set of louvers from steel... I nicely explained that it would be as difficult, if not more so, than machining the mold, but that didn't slow down the request. Then I explained that for ~65k I would be happy to machine a stamping press tool that could knock out as many sets as he wanted in a deep-draw process - that pretty much ended the conversation

Last edited by laserred38; 7/22/10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 7/22/10, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. The fact I don't have to remove the center emblem is a huge plus for me. I just hope the vinyl is not hard to remove or I'll just ask the dealer to remove it when the time comes.
Old 7/30/10, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Sweet! Can't wait!
Old 8/2/10, 07:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

FYI guys, both are now listed on our website - be aware that due to heavy initial order volume, we're machining up a relatively large follow-up run of fuel doors, but some orders will be B/O for up to six weeks as we get more into the system - the bulk of orders happened before we even had them listed on the site if that's any indication of their popularity!

Honeycomb is listed for pre-order with discount, we're shooting for end of 2010 / early 2011 release due to tool build time.
Old 8/3/10, 12:38 AM

I read through this quickly, but didnt see where you mentioned if it retains the factory push to click locked and open feature.
Old 8/3/10, 09:54 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No, that is completely removed, and ours uses two rare-earth magnets to retain the door closed. Between that and the natural "drag" of our door with the precision machining / ground washers we use for spacing, it is a very secure fit. If you ask any of the guys who have one of our 05-09 doors, they'll tell you how it feels compared to "other stuff" on the market.

We're finishing the patent paperwork this week, once that's done we'll be adding more photos to our website and here showing more detail of the backside for those that are interested.
Old 8/3/10, 10:09 AM
FR500 Member

No, that is completely removed, and ours uses two rare-earth magnets to retain the door closed. Between that and the natural "drag" of our door with the precision machining / ground washers we use for spacing, it is a very secure fit. If you ask any of the guys who have one of our 05-09 doors, they'll tell you how it feels compared to "other stuff" on the market.

We're finishing the patent paperwork this week, once that's done we'll be adding more photos to our website and here showing more detail of the backside for those that are interested.
I hope that you've encapsulated the magnets. The usual plating is still very brittle and once cracked, the magnet will quickly rust away.

Quick Reply: Two NEW releases for 2010+ Mustangs Exterior