Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Switchback turn signals as DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/14, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switchback turn signals as DRLs

I have Raxiom smoked projector headlights in my GT and I wired the halo and accent LEDs to an ignition source so they're always on. While I like the look, I feel they are incomplete when the parking lights are off.

Here's what I'm thinking. Installing LED switchbacks but wiring them as DRLs so they would constantly light up white to match the accent lighting. How can I do this? I've been doing some searching, but all I'm finding is how to have switchbacks light up white only when the headlight switch is turned to parking lights. I normally keep my headlight switch on auto.

Is it possible to do what I'm thinking?
Old 9/4/14, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I've wanted to do this same thing, but I've yet to find a simple way. There are modules that will turn your turn signal into DRL's, but they will light up amber instead of white. I'll be interested if you find anything...
Old 9/4/14, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine you can do that by hooking them up to a +12v with ignition on rather than the parking lights and then hook up the turn signal light. you would in essence not hook up the wire for the parking lights. you would lose your in headlight parking lights, but still have the lower, in bumper parking lights.

Last edited by bones302; 9/4/14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 9/10/14, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DarkHorse305
I have Raxiom smoked projector headlights in my GT and I wired the halo and accent LEDs to an ignition source so they're always on. While I like the look, I feel they are incomplete when the parking lights are off.

Here's what I'm thinking. Installing LED switchbacks but wiring them as DRLs so they would constantly light up white to match the accent lighting. How can I do this? I've been doing some searching, but all I'm finding is how to have switchbacks light up white only when the headlight switch is turned to parking lights. I normally keep my headlight switch on auto.

Is it possible to do what I'm thinking?
I think this would be pretty cool. I love the switchbacks on my 2011 GT! If you pull this off definitely post up some feedback. We'd love to hear what you did!

Originally Posted by bones302
I imagine you can do that by hooking them up to a +12v with ignition on rather than the parking lights and then hook up the turn signal light. you would in essence not hook up the wire for the parking lights. you would lose your in headlight parking lights, but still have the lower, in bumper parking lights.
^ This is the way I would try as well.

-Dan
Old 9/10/14, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
Shouldn't it need to be the other way...ignition to parking wire, and leave the turn signal wire alone?
Old 9/11/14, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you would need the signal from the turn signal wire to tell the switchback to shut off the DRL. easy enough to play with once you start installing it, if you're confused.
Old 9/12/14, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Subbing. When this is done put some pics out!
Old 9/13/14, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
stupidgenious36 is correct - simply cut the parking light power wire (purple/white) on each side, tape off the vehicle end to prevent shorts, and connect an ignition switched power source to the lamp end (presumably the same ignition source that you used for the accent lights. This will give you white parking/running/DRL lights that will still flash amber for the turn signals. They will flash amber/white or amber/off depending on whether you got type 1 (AW) or type 2 (AO) switchbacks. There is no need to do anything about the parking lights at night as they will remain on (white) regardless of whether the headlights are on. Personally, I think AW flashing would look stupid in this application - having them flash amber/off then go back to white when the signals cancel would look more like a factory setup.

I would highly recommend checking with the switchback bulb supplier to ensure that the bulbs you have will withstand the heat of running all the time. Most of the eBay bulbs are cheaply made and will not last when used this way. Even some of the better brand name bulbs (V-LEDs for example) are not designed for DRL use. Diode Dynamics (a sponsor here) is one source for DRL safe bulbs. superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com are two others.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 9/13/14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 9/15/14, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
stupidgenious36 is correct - simply cut the parking light power wire (purple/white) on each side, tape off the vehicle end to prevent shorts, and connect an ignition switched power source to the lamp end (presumably the same ignition source that you used for the accent lights. This will give you white parking/running/DRL lights that will still flash amber for the turn signals. They will flash amber/white or amber/off depending on whether you got type 1 (AW) or type 2 (AO) switchbacks. There is no need to do anything about the parking lights at night as they will remain on (white) regardless of whether the headlights are on. Personally, I think AW flashing would look stupid in this application - having them flash amber/off then go back to white when the signals cancel would look more like a factory setup.

I would highly recommend checking with the switchback bulb supplier to ensure that the bulbs you have will withstand the heat of running all the time. Most of the eBay bulbs are cheaply made and will not last when used this way. Even some of the better brand name bulbs (V-LEDs for example) are not designed for DRL use. Diode Dynamics (a sponsor here) is one source for DRL safe bulbs. superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com are two others.
Thanks. I tapped into the rear defroster with a add-a-circuit and 2 or 3 amp fuse. Do you know what fuse I would need if I wire to the parking lights to that source?
Old 9/15/14, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LED bulbs draw very little power so a 2 or 3 amp fuse should be plenty.