Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Smoked Tails

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/11, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo93

Your constant "I know I'm right so stfu" responses and attitude are really starting to bug me. With all due respect you seriously need to calm the h-e-double hockey sticks down. We understand what you think there's no need to keep restating the danger factor when we clearly know what we risk.
Lame
Old 6/5/11, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo93
Your constant "I know I'm right so stfu" responses and attitude are really starting to bug me. With all due respect you seriously need to calm the h-e-double hockey sticks down. We understand what you think there's no need to keep restating the danger factor when we clearly know what we risk.
I'm sure your not the only one that thinks this!
Old 6/5/11, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Onelildude

I'm sure your not the only one that thinks this!
"re"
Old 6/5/11, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the dark tinted tail lights and the dark headlights I've seen some cars with. The tail lights on our cars are bright and if they were brighter I wouldn't have a problem with it. A great many drivers here bought their drivers licence and can't drive a lick, so I'll take any edge I can get.

As for the tail lights I wouldn't tint mine unless I could keep them bright as they are now and not lose any reflective quality. Thats just my opinion which at the end of the thread don't mean a whole lot.
Old 6/5/11, 02:31 PM

Im disappointed on how a thread about an exterior modification turned into legal debate. I started this thread to find out how people have done it. I do not care about whether it is illegal or unsafe. I live in Miami where if a car has both tail lights working you are in luck. Now, please, back to the original topic, what method did you use in getting the possibly illegal and unsafe yet very appealing smoked tail light look.
Old 6/5/11, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hubba10
Im disappointed on how a thread about an exterior modification turned into legal debate. I started this thread to find out how people have done it. I do not care about whether it is illegal or unsafe. I live in Miami where if a car has both tail lights working you are in luck. Now, please, back to the original topic, what method did you use in getting the possibly illegal and unsafe yet very appealing smoked tail light look.
AM carries the precut tint pieces, but I like the look of the VHT tinted tails with the back up lights left untinted. The benefit of the tint pieces is that you don't have to remove your taillights or mask anything.
Old 6/5/11, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anyone has a question about this law then I suggest that you call your local police station and ask them the clearly spell the law out for you, after that ask yourself If they are indeed breaking the law, if not then all is good.

If you compare the older stangs that don't have the LED tail lamps it's very clear which is brighter
Old 6/5/11, 05:09 PM
GT Member

I am going to have to agree with 11SHELBYGT500 that tint on your taillights does decrease safety and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I dont know what the laws are from state to state and I am not interested in arguing that. But my two kids, both under 6 yrs old, love to ride with me in the Mustang and I am not about to decrease safety. We already deal with people talking on the phone and texting while driving and to darken the brake lights, day or night, is just dumb IMO if you have kids.

Personally I love the look of tinted taillights, Smoked not Blackout, but its not for me. Just my .02
Old 6/7/11, 02:53 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite the discussion about legality, but there is a simple way to answer all of this. Look at any headlight and tailight "darkening" equipment (be it spray on or acrylic) and they all pretty much say the same thing.... "For OFF-ROAD USE ONLY!". Even the VHT site states it is for off-road use only. I guess some people don't understand what that means. Don't get me wrong, I think the spray tint/covers looks cool and I did it on one of my older cars but at the same time I would never argue the fact that it certainly alters the amount of light being emitted to the point that it is NOT safe.

Quote: SP-999 VHT Nite Shades Taillight Lens Coating Smoke
note: this product is listed "For off road use only"

Last edited by adrenalin; 6/7/11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 6/7/11, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
^^^^^^^^^^
1. Illegal
2. Unsafe & dangerous

All of the above
Speeding, is also illegal and unsafe but we have all done it at one point.
Old 6/7/11, 08:14 PM

I have no problem seeing totally blacked out taillights on other cars
Old 6/7/11, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Well considering how bright the tailights are on the 10+ models the light shines through just about anything. I've seen some completely blacked out lights and they shone through like there was almost no tint. Now I'm not tryin to say it doesn't decrease safety because it does but its definitely no more dangerous then speeding, HID's blinding other drivers, following a lil too close to another driver, etc. etc.. All I'm saying is if you can make it work while maintaining a good level of safety then go for it. I have tailight tint on my 02 and my lights shine through just fine so I keep em. Same for my headlight covers. Got HID's so thrusting through while not being too bright for other drivers.
Old 8/31/11, 07:48 AM

anyone know the best tail light tint kit that you can get just for a little tint. i dont want anything too dark tht i wuld get pulled over.
Old 9/1/11, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I had my tails blacked out for several months - then, one night at a traffic light, someone hit me. Luckily, they hit me in the front...but when discussing the situation with my insurance agent, he assured me that had I been rear ended, they would have had no choice but to admit fault because of my tinted tails.

In this case, I imagine the law only helps you in the instance of you being pulled over - it does nothing to protect you during an accident. If the person claims they couldn't see your brake lights, and you have covers/tint on them, no amount of "but the law says!" is going to help you - you're going to be liable. The risk wasn't worth it to me, and so my lights are stock now.

I completely understand where 11SHELBYGT500 is coming from, he just needs to learn to express himself in a less violent way.