Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Should I have the bodyshop blend my new rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/15, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I have the bodyshop blend my new rear bumper?

So here's the story:

I came out of a store back in February and my rear bumper was cracked nearly all the way across. Looked like someone must've backed into it in the lot. So I took it in to finally get fixed last month. Claimed it with insurance, no big deal. But upon getting the car back after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it's obvious the bumper color is way off. Took it back to the shop and the owner agreed right away. My question is what to do now? I generally trust the shop. My mother worked there for five years and I've had them do plenty of work on other vehicles and friend's vehicles. Normally their head painter does top notch work.

I originally wanted them to just respray the bumper. The shop suggested that with the nature of the color (deep impact blue) and metallic paint that if the insurance is willing to front the cost I should let them
blend up through the rear quarters to guarantee a match. I really don't like the idea of having to touch that much paint just to match the bumper perfectly, however I want it to look fluid and also don't want to end up in a never ending cycle just getting the bumper resprayed. I know it can be hard to lay these metallic paints the same every time and even from the factory many bumpers aren't perfect matches so I don't know what to do. Just have them respray it and hope for the best or let them blend the quarters? Any input is appreciated.
Old 5/8/15, 10:38 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandit79
So here's the story:

I came out of a store back in February and my rear bumper was cracked nearly all the way across. Looked like someone must've backed into it in the lot. So I took it in to finally get fixed last month. Claimed it with insurance, no big deal. But upon getting the car back after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it's obvious the bumper color is way off. Took it back to the shop and the owner agreed right away. My question is what to do now? I generally trust the shop. My mother worked there for five years and I've had them do plenty of work on other vehicles and friend's vehicles. Normally their head painter does top notch work.

I originally wanted them to just respray the bumper. The shop suggested that with the nature of the color (deep impact blue) and metallic paint that if the insurance is willing to front the cost I should let them
blend up through the rear quarters to guarantee a match. I really don't like the idea of having to touch that much paint just to match the bumper perfectly, however I want it to look fluid and also don't want to end up in a never ending cycle just getting the bumper resprayed. I know it can be hard to lay these metallic paints the same every time and even from the factory many bumpers aren't perfect matches so I don't know what to do. Just have them respray it and hope for the best or let them blend the quarters? Any input is appreciated.
The insurance company owes for a blend but that should have been negotiated right up front between the shop and the adjuster before any work was done. The whole idea is to put your car back to pre-accident condition.

This is the nature of the beast with metallics. The color is probably correct, but the direction that the metallic particles lay down is what tricks the eye into thinking that the paint is mis-matched. That's not easy to do, even for an experienced painter.