'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Latest mods: Roush chin splitter & dipped hood vents

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/13, 10:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
Hi Gabe,
I've been hearing more & more about this "Dip" to use on the Hood Vents. Can you please tell me more about the Dip? (ie. What it is, where to get it at, what it costs, how much it takes to do 2 vents, drying time, etc...).
Plasti-Dip. It's available in multiple colors at places like Home Depot, True Value Hardware stores, Lowe's, etc.

A decent video on dipping hood vents on a '13 Mustang:
The video says to remove all the pushpins that hold the hood insulation in place, you really don't have to remove them all, just enough to get to the bolts that secure the vents.

Last edited by Gabe; 10/9/13 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10/10/13, 06:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ just one tip..if you have wax or any protectant... plastic dip will peel off.. otherwise this will last real long.
Old 10/10/13, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That reminds me, I've been intended to dip my vents for the better part of a year now.
Old 10/16/13, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Plasti-Dip cans do you recommend I should buy to get good even coats on both vents?
Old 10/16/13, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
How many Plasti-Dip cans do you recommend I should buy to get good even coats on both vents?
One cam should be more than enough for the vents. Do 3-4 lights coats and that'll work
Old 10/26/13, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great! I've been looking at the Roush splitter, and in one of the product reviews on AM, this guy says its not necessary to cut up the factory splitter. He just "installed screws in the holes that matched- then drilled holes where the rest of the mounting holes were in the splitter."

Did you cut your factory splitter (or see any way of installing the Roush without hacking the factory splitter)?

I love the way the Roush looks- but it would be great to have the factory piece as a spare in case a mishap occurs (on a previous car I took a splitter out when a tractor trailer threw a retread in front of me).

Thanks,
Pete
Old 10/27/13, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Looks great! I've been looking at the Roush splitter, and in one of the product reviews on AM, this guy says its not necessary to cut up the factory splitter. He just "installed screws in the holes that matched- then drilled holes where the rest of the mounting holes were in the splitter."

Did you cut your factory splitter (or see any way of installing the Roush without hacking the factory splitter)?

I love the way the Roush looks- but it would be great to have the factory piece as a spare in case a mishap occurs (on a previous car I took a splitter out when a tractor trailer threw a retread in front of me).

Thanks,
Pete
Hi Pete,

I cut it up like the instructions said.

I didn't have an air cutting tool, I just used my Dremel and it was fine