'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Input on track wheels!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/11, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Input on track wheels!!!

Hey I'm looking for input on track wheels for a 2012 5.0 that fits the Brembo brake calipers. What are people running for track wheels on these cars?

Is anyone running the BBS 302R wheel as a track setup with 275's? Do they clear the Brembo Calipers? Any rubbing on lowered cars due to the width? I saw this thread on the BBS Boss 302R wheel but didn't see anyone saying they were running them.

Any input on what you are running at the track would be greatly appreciated!
Old 3/25/11, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those 302R wheel's are way pricey, but if you've got the coin, by all means...

Most people that are trying to watch the budget go for the 18x9.5" wheel from the GT500s (I have the old version) which will allow the 275/40-18, or the 285/35-18 that's more popular on some of the DOT race rubber.

What tire are you planning on running? Going past 18" are WAY expensive, and the 285/35-18 (though a bit short overall, which does improve gearing) are pricey enough already, generally $250 + per tire (NT01s are that, the Hankook ventus Rs-3 is aobut $260, Hoosier R6 $300+, etc)

The GT500 18x9.5 will clear the Brembo's (obviously, they're on those cars) and are relatively cheap as well, so easily replaced if damaged, etc. Also very strong, but not exactly light weight (27-28lbs, I believe).

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...d=755&cPath=85
Old 3/25/11, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

If I can get to the track a lot I would really like the BBS to reduce the unsprung weight and get the extra width to run a little wider tire without chewing up the sidewall. I do really like these wheels, cant believe they fit the 14" brake kits, the dish looks really thick. As for tires my friend runs Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and really likes them on his '03 Cobra. I don't really know what other people are running which is why I was looking for some input.
Old 3/26/11, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Those Bridgestone are supposed to be great, but pricey, $300 per:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RE11&tab=Sizes

http://www.rehagenracingproducts.com...productId=1700

Two sets would buy you two of the Boss wheels, though; lots of cash all around.

I've seen some driving the Bridgestones at the track, though not in these sizes. I think most people figure if they're laying out that amount, they go straight to the Hoosiers.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R8R6&tab=Specs
Old 3/26/11, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Have you done much track driving at this point?
Old 3/26/11, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

A little bit. '03 cobra (stock, just bigger radiator because the heat in florida, roll cage because its a vert, and those tires) at sebring a couple times and autocross with the cobra and marauder (marauder was more just goofing around since it drives like a boat on autocross)
Old 3/26/11, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Sebring would be fun...very bumpy though. What group you going to go to the track with?

You might try just taking it out stock to see how it does, then upgrade to separate track wheels/tires, suspension, etc. That's what I did (well, did some suspension stuff first, but the '11's do much better stock than my '09 did). You might also find the non-track tires are a bit more forgiving initially -- they yowl and give much more warning when they're giving up grip than the super sticky DOT race rubber, which while giving greater grip often have much more abrupt transitions. Just my two cents.

Ultimately, though, those 302R wheels and those Bridgestone or Hoosiers would be a great setup, but again pretty pricey -- way outside my means. Depending on how often you go, you may get more than one season out of tires, but that's $1200 a pop, adds up quick.
Old 3/27/11, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just get the Cooper rs3. They are good for track and street.

All new cars now use the rs3.
Old 3/27/11, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Turn 17 is really bumpy, but other than that its not bad. We wen't to those events through SVTOA and Ford Racing.

I'm definitely taking it out stock first just to see what I want to do with the suspension. Also track season is pretty much all year long here in Florida and the Bridgestones have a harder rubber on them over the Hoosiers so as long as I don't drive like a Jack A** I should be able to make those last longer (keyword should, i have no idea). Autocross chews up tires pretty much no matter what in my experience.
Old 3/28/11, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure it has come up that the Boss 302R BBS wheels need different wheels studs in order to work. At that point you might as well have gone with 18" HRE, Fikse or Forgeline wheels. Another company you can look into is Bonspeed forged wheels. None of these wheels are going to be cheap. Enkei may be one of the only brands that make anything semi affordable.
Old 3/28/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

A guy on another thread confirmed you don't need new studs, just lugnuts -- different seat on the 302 wheels than the standard Mustang seat.

But he's right in that there are other options. All are pricey for that low of weight, though.
Old 3/28/11, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
A guy on another thread confirmed you don't need new studs, just lugnuts -- different seat on the 302 wheels than the standard Mustang seat.

But he's right in that there are other options. All are pricey for that low of weight, though.
Yeah, in that case, the BBS wheels are somewhat of a good go between the super high price of forged wheels like the FR500C Fikse wheels and an OEM or OEM level wheel. Looks like FRPP sells the BBS for 650 a pop and I'd say that's **** fair considering the quality and weight. One of the vendors will under price FRPP I'm sure. If it were me and I were looking at track wheels, I go for the quality. Ends up in life that's just what works out best for me. Every time I've tried to go cheap it fails so I know my limits and price things as best as I can knowing the level of quality I'm getting.
Old 3/29/11, 03:46 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

if your not running a full slick the weight savings of the 302R wheel are not worth the price. Sure it helps the suspension cotrol the wheel assembly better but dut to a lack of adhesion your not going to utilize that benifit very well, esp when you can buy a set of four GT-500 wheels shipped for LESS then one Boss 302R wheel unshipped
Old 3/29/11, 04:00 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I wanted to chime in with a couple of my posts from other threads about tires and brakes for track use:

Originally Posted by Stinger1982

I recommend 275/35-18 on all 4 corners, its a common size so they are lower priced.
It’s plenty of tire.
Staggering tire size front to rear can easily lead to handling issues if you dont have adjustable suspension and good amount of setup knowledge
"Square" cars are great
its hip to be a square (sorry I know thats horribly corny but it's been a really stressful week)

I don’t like R comps

The level of grip they provide I don’t feel justifies their price.
If your gonna spend the $ go the extra small step and get real tires.

It should be said that if your new to open tracking start on street tires. R comps and slicks are not beginner friendly, they give you little to no warning at the limit the way a street tire does. You can get into trouble with these kinds of tires and not know it until its too late if you don’t know what your doing.

Good:
BFGoodrich G-force R1
Good grip, great durability

Better:

Hoosier R6
GREAT grip, ok-good durability (proper high cycling at break in make a big impact on tire life)
Can be found used, be picky!!!!!! Check for excessive shoulder wear.

Best:

Find a Grand Am Continental Tire team that sells used take off slicks.
Good grip, EXCELLENT durability (provided you bought a set that isn’t near death, ask!)
They are SUPER cheap.
We have sold all that we had (I am guilty of buying 5 of the sets myself, these are what I use for HPDE's and private track rentals)

Sorry for the extreme delay in my posting, it turns out that two jobs, an MBA program, buying a house that needs work and moving in all at once is a bit crazy.

ok everything that has been said by cloud9 and 06GT is golden advice.

The new 5.0 is easily capable of overwhelming its factory brake setup on a road course with good tires. I run Hoosier R6, A6 and Grand Am take off tires depending on what I am doing (competition or open track day for fun). With the A6 and R6 ABS getting to ABS engagement can be a struggle so the brakes are being fully utilized. My car has run in the low 150mph range on the back straight at Mid Ohio (psycho speed for a full weight street car) and weighs a staggering 3,910 with me in it in race trim with ½ tank of gas. That is a **** load of energy to be absorbed by the brakes. Now my car isn’t stock both power and suspension/tires so my speeds are not the same as a normal 5.0 plus I am a decent driver so I get onto the straight carrying good speed but you get the point of me bringing this up.

So my advice is as follows:

1. Don’t track with the stock pads and fluid PERIOD. (Great fluid = Brembo LCF 600 or equivalent)
One Brake pad (for the front) that hasn’t been mentioned and is a great pad is Performance Friction PFC-01. This has the stopping power of a DTC-70 but is easier on the rotor and I personally prefer the initial bite of the PFC over the Hawk (splitting hairs). We run PFC-01's on our Grand Am and NASA Race cars.

2. Don’t use the same rotors for the street that you use at the track. When you go to a more aggressive pad it is easy for that pad to bed into the rotor. HOWEVER when you go back to street pads its EXTREMLY hard for those pads to get a bite on the rotor since they are a wussier compound. Its amazing how badly your ability to panic stop is compromised on street pads after you have had track pads on the car, it borders on dangerous! (I almost learned the hard way some time ago).

3. Stock rotors are fine for open track days (they wont last as long as a 2 piece) if your only going to track less then say 5 times a year save your money and use factory rotors they are way cheaper (but have a dedicated track set and a dedicated street set). If you’re a track rat like me (actually competing not just open track days and 15-18 track “days” a year) step up to a two piece dedicated race rotor. To a point you get what you pay for. I recommend Brembo race rotors. We have used cheaper alternatives in the past and it’s just not worth the savings (life of rotor, stopping power, heat dissipation). Also more vanes = good. Remember brake rotor cooling vanes are directional (not applicable to stock rotors).

4. Remove all dust shields on all four corners, no exceptions (if you want to put them back after that’s up to you)

5. Cooling ducts are a good idea and for the extremely casual track guy can be done very cheaply and not permanently. Buy brake cooling hose (do NOT use house drier ducting it cant take the heat, I have seen fires because someone’s drier ducting which was plastic caught fire, dur) and zip tie it to the tie rod ends as close to the rotor as possible (its not the best solution but its better then nothing) and then zip tie them to the car all the way to the front fascia (be sure to leave slack so the ducting can turn with the wheels of course). Then remove them after the track day. If your serious about this invest in a proper setup (see my thread about fabbing in a setup to my Roush fascia or buy a FRPP or similar kit, the new FRPP Boss cooling kit = very good). Cooling ducts directed to the center of the rotor (hub area) also help to extend the life of the hub under track conditions (hubs are a wear item for road race cars and are replaced at intervals that are fractions of what a street car sees and heat is a part of the reason).

6. The factory Brembo calipers will discolor (no big deal) with track use.

7. To the really serious track guys if your budget and race (or TT in my case) class allow, stepping up to a more serious front caliper is a good idea (be aware that street compound pads are very hard to find for some race calipers). In my and Rehagen Racing's opinion the best brake kit for the money is a Brembo Pro Kit (yes it is very expensive) but its worth more then double what they charge, but there are plenty of options.

8. Stainless brake lines are not needed for the guy who might track the car a couple of times a year, but keep a close eye on them. Check for bulges and squishiness. Stainless lines are ALWAYS a good idea for everyone and must for track rats.

If any TMS member has specific questions they are always welcome to PM me and if I cant answer the question I can get it answered by someone at the shop or even contact venders if needed and would be happy to do so.

I should mention that we sell not only off the shelf brake kits and pads for Mustangs but also Kits that we manufacturer in house (or have made just for us) and most are listed on our website, just saying

This year we have fought heat issues in my car and the theme of the year was brake failure, first we thought it was rear caliper fluid, then pad temp issues and we now believe that my car has a defective master cylinder (new one is in hand and will be swapped out before the first event). After 8-9 laps at 10/10ths the brake pedal goes to the floor and the car does not slow down at all. I can’t even stop in the pits (the brake pedal seriously does nothing at all to stop the car). If the fluid in the front was boiling I would still have back brakes to stop the car and visa versa, so it’s not boiling fluid (plus when the fluid is bled there are no bubbles and when allowed to fully cool if not bled the brakes return to 100%). If it was pad temps you could still stop in the pits from sub 5mph, and none of those scenarios explain the completely free traveling pedal and the fact that the E-brake still stops the car (in the pits) just fine. I have spoken at great length to the Ford, Brembo and TRW engineers who developed this system and everyone is convinced that this is an isolated problem. The Ford guys have flogged the Boss’s just as hard for way longer and NEVER seen a failure like this (so don’t panic about your car, its fine).

The reason I mention this is, if you start to get a spongy pedal on track BACK OFF NOW. That is a general rule of track driving anyway, but just in case you experience an issue like me, back off early.

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Hey Shaun,

I've got separate front disc's now, and could get some separate rears, to have a full separate track/street setup, but it's quite a bit of work swapping the discs out for each track event. I drive to/from the track (got a tire trailer recently that I have to get a trailer hitch installed for at some point, but wearing out some old tires first) and while that's not much road use on dedicated track pads/rotors, won't that simply remove the bedding as the race pads go into friction mode again?

Do you swap the rotors and pads at the track, or do that at home then drive there, or just trailer the car? I'm trying to think of a way to do this all and still fit it into tight weekend schedules -- though I know the track rat's answer is always have one car for the street, one for the track (I'll get there eventually, but not yet).
I know it is a PITA (I say that in an "I'm sorry" type of tone of voice). But ipromise its the better idea. the front are 100x's more important, so you have the big part already handled.

I swap at the track (pads and rotors). Its a lot of work when your a one man show (did it for years) and I am glad that I go to the track now with the team, the extra hands make everything go so much faster.

The only issues with driving to the track on race pad are as follows:

1. The pads dont work well at lower temps, you will have longer stopping distances.

2. The race pads will wear much faster then street pads at low temps (due to street driving) and race pads wear waaaay faster on the street then they do on the track

3. Its really easy to get full ABS engament when you would not expect on the street (aka hard to panic stop) and this can leave weird pad transfer on the rotor.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 3/29/11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 3/29/11, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Shaun, I checked out my rear rotors last weekend, and noticed this odd pattern around the peripheral one inch or so (in addition to one brake pad pattern glued on -- forgot about not using the parking brake after a track session! Never again!) that looks like a bunch of darker sine waves traveling around the disc (I'll post a pic at some point if I can) as opposed to a smooth, non-pattern or circumferential grooves I see on the fronts.
Would that be something the ABS cycling could cause? It looks sorta cool, but I have a feeling it's not a good thing.
Old 3/29/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

@Stinger1982 Thanks for all that info. I know I have to trade out brake pads and fluid and I plan on adding the goodridge stainless steel lines as well. With such high track temps in the Florida summers I gotta work to keep the brakes from overheating and fading (they faded on the cobra for sure). I don't plan on running slicks for now as this is my only car and I will be driving it to the track. Not until I get another car and then I will make this a "track dedicated" car and do the BBS/slicks combo. I am planning on switching to stiffer springs up front and run Koni adjustable shocks. It's just hard trying to figure out what is the best set up for everything since this is my only car.

I am leaning at getting the GT-500 wheels as they seen to be a great deal, just gotta figure out the rubber. I really liked the feel of the Bridgestone RE-11 on the cobra but that was a different car and I wasn't paying for the tires. I really appreciate everyones input though!
Old 3/29/11, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

My 275/40-18 Nitto NT05s just arrived today, gonna slap them on this weekend. They look way aggressive (not NT01, but should get twice the treadwear, maybe).

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=275