Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

FINALLY - Added GT500 Rear Spoiler - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/12, 01:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Doube E Dad and Uin2it...

Those are GORGEOUS. I love the GT500 spoiler! I might get this next mod over the FRPP Tuner... hmmmmmmmm

So the big questions I have (please help, as I am confused with the stuff I read, esp the mounting)...

1) So BOTH the OEM GT500 and the 3D carbon spoilers use 4 EXISTING mounting bolts/locations right? So if I currently have the stock decklid spoiler (just like what is shown in post #20 above), I do NOT have to drill ANY holes of ANY sort, correct?

2) Any difference in quality between the OEM and 3D carbon? Just get the cheapest one?

3) The gurney flap comes painted flat black in either OEM or 3D? No need to special order that? just comes with it?
Old 1/13/12, 04:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beleive the OEM is going to come UNpainted. Therefore, you would have to get a quote from a body shop to prep/paint it. Body shops by me are ridiculous unless you know someone.
Old 1/13/12, 06:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I beleive the OEM is going to come UNpainted. Therefore, you would have to get a quote from a body shop to prep/paint it. Body shops by me are ridiculous unless you know someone.
Correct. OEM comes in black primer, ready to paint. Gurney flap is separate black plastic piece you attach after painting the spoiler. I sort of had an insider deal with my paint guy to paint and install my spoiler for $125, but I think most reputable places wouldn't be too far off.

I always buy OEM when i can, and I've not yet compared OEM & 3DC side by side. Still all else being equal I'd take OEM. Problem is the price isnt equal since my installed/ painted price (414) seems 2 B about $85 over the 3DC described above ($329, altho 329 doesn't include installation). It's an individual choice, it looks like it'd be hard to tell the two apart once installed. It's your car and your call. It would eat at me to know I didn't go OEM when I could but I'm just mental that way. $85 might assuage my angst.
Old 1/13/12, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Doube E Dad and Uin2it...

Those are GORGEOUS. I love the GT500 spoiler! I might get this next mod over the FRPP Tuner... hmmmmmmmm

So the big questions I have (please help, as I am confused with the stuff I read, esp the mounting)...

1) So BOTH the OEM GT500 and the 3D carbon spoilers use 4 EXISTING mounting bolts/locations right? So if I currently have the stock decklid spoiler (just like what is shown in post #20 above), I do NOT have to drill ANY holes of ANY sort, correct?

2) Any difference in quality between the OEM and 3D carbon? Just get the cheapest one?

3) The gurney flap comes painted flat black in either OEM or 3D? No need to special order that? just comes with it?
1) correct, no need to drill any more holes....easy bolt on like stock.
2) the gurney flap on the 3d is not a seperate piece, its the ssme piece as the spoiler....just painted flat black. The OEM spoiler's gurney flap Appears to be a seperate pice that it attached to the spoiler.
3) correct!
Old 1/13/12, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
Just installed my 3D spoiler....yes it does use 4 bolts.
Took 30min tops to install....my stock one and double sided tape came off real easy by hand and using some goo gone cleaned up nice.

Paint quality is good, i was worried the gurney flap was going to be white....to my excitement it was properly painted flat black!

Total cost: $325 from MRT-Direct....drop shipped and painted from 3d carbon.
LOVE IT!
U, your car looks great!

What brand deck lid blackout vinyl do u have? Or is it painted between the tails?
Old 1/13/12, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
It looks great, Double-EDad!!!

Deysha
Thank you Deysha!

Originally Posted by dball584
I agree - That wing looks awesome. Thats going to be my first mod. Can't wait. Only another 5 to 7 weeks to go..
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Looks great man! I want one!
Originally Posted by t-fatty
Love it.
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
looks awesome dude
Thanks to all! I am loving this thing and it hasn't hampered my view while backing up nearly as much as I thought it would. There isn't much difference at all, really.
Old 1/13/12, 08:46 PM
Cobra R Member

2) the gurney flap on the 3d is not a seperate piece, its the ssme piece as the spoiler....just painted flat black. The OEM spoiler's gurney flap Appears to be a seperate pice that it attached to the spoiler.
3) correct!
I think the reason the OEM Gurney flap is a separate piece is to allow painting of the spoiler itself first. Since the 3DCarbon spoiler is prepainted (or can be bought that way at least), 3DC just sticks it on after they paint it I guess.

I concur that with the 4-bolt mounting and good reports of paint quality I've read about the 3DC, the 3DC piece is probably just as good as OEM and apparently significantly cheaper. If I had it to do over, I would consider 3DC's piece now that I know it uses all 4 OEM mounting points.

Good job, your car looks fantastic. If you haven't yet, check out the white mustang belonging to TMS member Elvism. In addition to the GT500 spoiler, he also has a glass top and the red interior. The glass top and the GT500 spoiler go together like...peanut butter and jelly.
Old 1/13/12, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad

U, your car looks great!

What brand deck lid blackout vinyl do u have? Or is it painted between the tails?
Its actually the Blackout magnet piece. Im going to do A carbon fiber vinyl in its place though, so it will be coming off soon.
Old 1/13/12, 10:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Looks awesome!

Where did you order it from? And what was the price and total cost after paint and labor?

I want to swap out my CS spoiler for a GT500. Not sure which route to go..

Just a heads up! Changing from the CS spoiler to the GT500 spoiler will require you to have 4 holes filled or replace the decklid. The CS has 8 mounting holes that are not covered by the spoiler.

Correction it has 8 holes 4 of them are not covered.

Last edited by SCHMOKN; 1/14/12 at 09:46 AM.
Old 1/14/12, 06:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SCHMOKN

Just a heads up! Changing from the CS spoiler to the GT500 spoiler will require you to have 4 holes filled or replace the decklid. The CS has 8 mounting holes that are not covered by the spoiler.
This is good to know. Good thing I have the decklid spoiler.
Old 1/14/12, 06:46 AM
I Have No Life

3) correct!

I think the reason the OEM Gurney flap is a separate piece is to allow painting of the spoiler itself first. Since the 3DCarbon spoiler is prepainted (or can be bought that way at least), 3DC just sticks it on after they paint it I guess.

I concur that with the 4-bolt mounting and good reports of paint quality I've read about the 3DC, the 3DC piece is probably just as good as OEM and apparently significantly cheaper. If I had it to do over, I would consider 3DC's piece now that I know it uses all 4 OEM mounting points.

Good job, your car looks fantastic. If you haven't yet, check out the white mustang belonging to TMS member Elvism. In addition to the GT500 spoiler, he also has a glass top and the red interior. The glass top and the GT500 spoiler go together like...peanut butter and jelly.
Thx for the responses guys. Looks like I have to buy the 3dc spoiler soon. LOL. Any thoughts on best place to buy?
Old 1/14/12, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thx for the responses guys. Looks like I have to buy the 3dc spoiler soon. LOL. Any thoughts on best place to buy?
Got mine through MRT-Direct for $325 shipped & Painted.
Old 1/14/12, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks very nice! Quick question - did the tape come with the spoiler or was that separately obtained by your painter?

I love grabber blue!
Old 1/14/12, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No sir. The OEM Gurney flap is interchangeable with other flaps to create different levels of downforce. The GT500 base model is not the same at the GT500 SVTPP. Ford Racing released a few flaps a while back to fine tune the cars for the track.

Some light reading

http://www.allamericanracers.com/gurney_flap.html

base gt500

gt500 svtpp

The P/N for the 2011/12 base GT500 flat Gurney Flap is BR3Z63442A84BA.
The P/N for the 2010 and 2011/12 PP lipped Gurney Flap is AR3Z63442A84AA.

3dcarbon's in the svtpp position
huge detail shot on my car
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2639/5...7e23cc1b_o.jpg

Last edited by Digital_Synapse; 1/14/12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 1/14/12, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

yep, the svtpp style flap is the one that I like and that is another reason I went with the 3d Carbon piece.
Old 1/14/12, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

wow thanks for confusing me even more now... lol

So the 3DCarbon gt500 spoiler is only ONE option right? I automatically get the SVTPP gurney flap and I don't have to order anything extra OR do any additional install?
Old 1/14/12, 07:28 PM
I Have No Life

btw digital synapse, NICE pic and nice car and nice spoiler. I likey very muchey
Old 1/14/12, 11:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SCHMOKN

Correction it has 8 holes 4 of them are not covered.
Thanks, I was just going to ask that. I knew it had 8 holes but wasn't sure if they'd wind up covered. ****. I know another member made the switch. I was just worried about leaks after the 4 holes were covered. Guess they are in the wide open now.

Anyone else done this?!?
Old 1/15/12, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw digital synapse, NICE pic and nice car and nice spoiler. I likey very muchey
thank you sir.
wow thanks for confusing me even more now... lol

So the 3DCarbon gt500 spoiler is only ONE option right? I automatically get the SVTPP gurney flap and I don't have to order anything extra OR do any additional install?
you're welcome.

Yes, only one mold. It's a Gurney Flap look alike for all intensive purposes. It's all one mold/copy of the SVTPP spoiler. The reason I call it a "fake GF" is because it isn't adjustable, nor removeable. It's part of the spoiler, one piece, and it is painted matte to look like it's seperate. I like that. My car doesn't see >120mph often, where the GF really starts to apply more than 500lbs of downforce, but the GT500 SVTPP has a front splitter that balances the flow for zero lift. The GT doesn't, but the Boss splitter must have some effect, I dont know if it is more than, less than, or equal to the balance needed for zero lift, but I like the way it looks. I don't have a wind tunnel, nor run American Iron, so the complete function is mute, I like the look.

Some companies paint the whole thing one color, which looks dumb IMHO, and that is the only reason I went with 3D Carbon over anyone else. The time I got the spoiler, OEM was >+$650. That's insane.

Last edited by Digital_Synapse; 1/15/12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 1/15/12, 09:29 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
thank you sir.

you're welcome.

Yes, only one mold. It's a Gurney Flap look alike for all intensive purposes. It's all one mold/copy of the SVTPP spoiler. The reason I call it a "fake GF" is because it isn't adjustable, nor removeable. It's part of the spoiler, one piece, and it is painted matte to look like it's seperate. I like that. My car doesn't see >120mph often, where the GF really starts to apply more than 500lbs of downforce, but the GT500 SVTPP has a front splitter that balances the flow for zero lift. The GT doesn't, but the Boss splitter must have some effect, I dont know if it is more than, less than, or equal to the balance needed for zero lift, but I like the way it looks. I don't have a wind tunnel, nor run American Iron, so the complete function is mute, I like the look.

Some companies paint the whole thing one color, which looks dumb IMHO, and that is the only reason I went with 3D Carbon over anyone else. The time I got the spoiler, OEM was >+$650. That's insane.
Indeed. 650 is crazy. So where did you get your 3dc? You recommend them?

Quick Reply: FINALLY - Added GT500 Rear Spoiler - Pics!