Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

FINALLY - Added GT500 Rear Spoiler - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/12, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY - Added GT500 Rear Spoiler - Pics!

Something I've wanted since ordering my car last May: the GT500 rear spoiler. I think this finishes off the exterior mods for me, except for maybe wheels/tires at some point, altho I am fond of the base wheels. After reading that the Ford/OEM GT500 spoiler uses all 4 of the base/stock spoiler mounting points, whereas the 3DCarbon uses two fasteners, I decided to go OEM and got a Ford dealer paint guy I know to do the honors on the primered piece. His work was outstanding, as the photos below attest.

Had him install a black rear deck panel decal while I was at it. Got it from partscheap, which usually deals all OEM, but this piece was aftermarket and the fit was not perfect, but close. I will likely live with this for awhile and then remove the decal and just get my paint guy to just paint the rear decklid area black.

Here it is after we removed the stock spoiler (he used this pencil eraser material wheel on a grinder at real low speed- easily removed all original tape adhesive residue with no harm to the paint!). Looks bob-tailed to me:

...and here are the pics of the finished product.

Finally, a close-up of the famed "Gurney flap", basically just a little spoiler on top of the bigger spoiler:

Old 1/9/12, 07:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job.. def 100x better than the stock one
Old 1/9/12, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great, should be gettimg mine in the mail this week!
Cant wait :-)
Old 1/9/12, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks fantastic!
Old 1/9/12, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Looks great
Old 1/9/12, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
nice job.. def 100x better than the stock one
Originally Posted by Uin2it
Looks great, should be gettimg mine in the mail this week!
Cant wait :-)
Originally Posted by PureSpeedMotorsports
Looks fantastic!
Originally Posted by rechner84
Looks great
Thanks to all of you for the props! The guy who painted the spoiler is a young talent who manages one of the local Ford dealer paint/body shops and he is familiar with Mustang paint. He said he could've made the spoiler paint glass smooth, but felt that would have been TOO perfect and instead he went for a very small amount of orange peel to more perfectly match the rest of the car. It is a subtle touch, but it really works and makes the GT500 spoiler look like it was on my car from the factory!
Old 1/9/12, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks flawless, stunning, beautiful, amazing, awesome. Grabber Blue and black accents go together like peanut butter and jelly. I have to seriously look into this down the road.
Old 1/10/12, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks awesome!

Where did you order it from? And what was the price and total cost after paint and labor?

I want to swap out my CS spoiler for a GT500. Not sure which route to go..
Old 1/11/12, 05:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
Looks flawless, stunning, beautiful, amazing, awesome. Grabber Blue and black accents go together like peanut butter and jelly. I have to seriously look into this down the road.
PB&J. LOL, Brilliant! Thanks Paul!
Old 1/11/12, 05:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Looks awesome!

Where did you order it from? And what was the price and total cost after paint and labor?

I want to swap out my CS spoiler for a GT500. Not sure which route to go..
Thanks! Got it from a vendor I've been dealing with a long time, Torrie at Fastpartsnetwork.com. Paid a little more ($265 plus $24 shipping) than some vendors but Torrie is great (fast replies to e-mails 24/7) & shipped it directly to my paint guy while invoicing me. Cheapest legit price I saw was Partscheap @ $271 shipped, some eBayer had it for $245 shipped. But with Torrie I knew I would get 1st quality too.

Paint guy charged me $125 to paint and help me install, which was a great deal I think considering the pro quality. He is the brother of a co-worker and works out of his home, but is very good. As mentioned he's the head paint guy at an area ford dealer. Removing the old spoiler without damaging anything can be tricky. It takes lots of patience.

So total cost was 289 + 125 = 414, or about $90 to 100 over a 3DCarbon pre-painted spoiler, which I think is close enough to go OEM Ford. I am glad I did - the OEM part has same 4 bolt (plus 2-sided tape) attachment as original, whereas I've read that the 3DC makes do with 2.

Your results may vary.
Old 1/11/12, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
Classic
Old 1/11/12, 06:04 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice! Cant wait to order the gt500 wing for my car now, and thanks for the heads up on the 3dc wing and the two fasteners. Definitely gonna save a bit of trouble there
Attached Images  
Old 1/11/12, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I am glad I did - the OEM part has same 4 bolt (plus 2-sided tape) attachment as original, whereas I've read that the 3DC makes do with 2.
Hold on a minute....I have been told that 3D has changed that!?
Mine should be here this week and I will update with my findings!

Either way Im sure it will be hard to tell once they are on, but if you have the extra money by all means it is worth going OEM! Go to your local dealership and check the cost...give them the part number or tell them it is in the FORD Accessories book.
Old 1/11/12, 08:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
Hold on a minute....I have been told that 3D has changed that!?
Mine should be here this week and I will update with my findings!

Either way Im sure it will be hard to tell once they are on, but if you have the extra money by all means it is worth going OEM! Go to your local dealership and check the cost...give them the part number or tell them it is in the FORD Accessories book.
None of my local dealers would discount the OEM part, most quoting the retail price of about $300 & uncertain re delivery.

Would be interesting to know if 3DC has updated their design. There's more to it than number of bolts. Both the standard and the GT500 pieces had a few vent holes underneath which might or might not mitigate condensation which may or may not form. Just saying there's more to the engineering of that piece than the basic shape.

But as stated, for me $419 installed & painted for the OEM part beat 3DC's $329 for the painted piece which I would then need to install. Not that it's overly difficult, but knowing me I'd have damaged my paint somehow removing the old spoiler. Glad I got professional help (don't quote me out of context on that, LOL!).

Last edited by Double-EDad; 1/11/12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 1/12/12, 08:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Something I've wanted since ordering my car last May: the GT500 rear spoiler.
It looks great, Double-EDad!!!

Deysha
Old 1/12/12, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree - That wing looks awesome. Thats going to be my first mod. Can't wait. Only another 5 to 7 weeks to go..
Old 1/12/12, 04:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great man! I want one!
Old 1/12/12, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Love it.
Old 1/12/12, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! Got it from a vendor I've been dealing with a long time, Torrie at Fastpartsnetwork.com. Paid a little more ($265 plus $24 shipping) than some vendors but Torrie is great (fast replies to e-mails 24/7) & shipped it directly to my paint guy while invoicing me. Cheapest legit price I saw was Partscheap @ $271 shipped, some eBayer had it for $245 shipped. But with Torrie I knew I would get 1st quality too.

Paint guy charged me $125 to paint and help me install, which was a great deal I think considering the pro quality. He is the brother of a co-worker and works out of his home, but is very good. As mentioned he's the head paint guy at an area ford dealer. Removing the old spoiler without damaging anything can be tricky. It takes lots of patience.

So total cost was 289 + 125 = 414, or about $90 to 100 over a 3DCarbon pre-painted spoiler, which I think is close enough to go OEM Ford. I am glad I did - the OEM part has same 4 bolt (plus 2-sided tape) attachment as original, whereas I've read that the 3DC makes do with 2.

Your results may vary.
THAT IS AN AMAZING PRICE!!!

When the GT500 first came out with the Gurney flap, it was $650... Thats why I went with 3dcarbon, but that's with the SVTPP, which has a different flap. Either way, my 3Dcarbon uses all four holes and factory locations...

If the OEM was available at that price when I got mine, I would have gone OEM over 3Dcarbon.

looks awesome dude
Old 1/13/12, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just installed my 3D spoiler....yes it does use 4 bolts.
Took 30min tops to install....my stock one and double sided tape came off real easy by hand and using some goo gone cleaned up nice.

Paint quality is good, i was worried the gurney flap was going to be white....to my excitement it was properly painted flat black!

Total cost: $325 from MRT-Direct....drop shipped and painted from 3d carbon.
LOVE IT!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 1/13/12 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY - Added GT500 Rear Spoiler - Pics!